Old Town Pack Canoe Repairs

Hi,

I’ve been looking at solo canoes for fishing. I’ve been borrowing a friend’s future beach kayak, but want something with more room with a possibility to overnight. Although I haven’t paddled it, I’ve researched the Pack and think with a lowered seat, it is a good choice. I like that it is durable but only 33lbs.

I’ve found one used for $300, but needs some TLC (photo link below). Owner claims there are no leaks, it is just scratches and gouges, including the patches. I don’t know much about repairs but it looks like I can just get a 2 part resin kit, fill it, and sand it. The seat needs to be replaced, and a thwart at the end as well. This would roughly total $125-$150. Is this even worth it for $200 ?

I’ve been looking at a new Wenonah Fusion but $2k is a lot more than $425.

imgur.com/a/Owepl

A decent replacement seat from Ed’s Canoe will cost about 29 bucks.
The grab handle you need to replace will cost about 5 bucks.
Don’t know what the shipping charge would be?

From the looks of the wood pieces that need to be replaced, I’d say that canoe has spent it’s life outside. It’s also been roughly used by someone who had little, or no paddling skills. The repairs appear to have been made by what my Grandmother would call a “cobbler”. In other words, they did a half assed job.

Speaking for myself, I’d ease on down the road, seek a different boat, and avoid all the repairs that boat needs. You can find better; especially if you up your
ante to 5 or 6 hundred dollars. Spending 2 thousand dollars, or the best part of two thousand dollars for a Fusion? Surely you jest…

BOB

Adam,
Rec’d photos of the other boat you found.
No question in my mind about what I’d do…
Pay a couple of hundred extra, and end up with a boat in nice condition. It appears to have been seldom used, and has not seen any rough usage. Appears to be “good to go”, and with minimal care it could easily last another 10 years.

Avoid the cost of new parts,shipping charges, cost of repairs, and associated hassles.

You never know unless you ask…Will seller take less? Will buyer do a little driving
to deliver the boat? Either or both could save you money.

Good luck.
BOB

I offered lower, but he is well aware of the condition of the boat and is firm. 3 hour drive so not too bad. Maybe he can meet me a bit closer - good idea.

Adam,
Are you sure that THING is a Pack? I had my Pack since the 90s and I don’t remember ever seeing a red one. It looks more like fiberglass to me. I know that you expressed interest in the Pack that I sold this morning but too late. If I had seen that someone was demanding $300 for that thing I would have priced mine at $1,500 instead of $375. Just remember that when they were new in the pre Angler 90s, they listed for about $1,000. Royalex is fantastic and rare. There is now way I would pay anything for Wrecked Red.
Good Luck in your search,
Bob

@bobinsepa said:
Adam,
Are you sure that THING is a Pack? I had my Pack since the 90s and I don’t remember ever seeing a red one. It looks more like fiberglass to me.

It looks like a Pack to me. I’ve never heard of another Old Town solo with a raised keel. And in this case, that keel is for rigidity, because that boat is definitely Royalex, as far as I can see. The interior color and texture are right for Royalex, and the lack of sharpness in the stems is right, as is the fact that there are no float tanks. I’ve never seen a composite canoe made for normal use that didn’t have float tanks.

To me, the fabric that’s visible at the points of damage looks like exposed material from previous repairs.

@bobinsepa said:
Adam,
Are you sure that THING is a Pack? I had my Pack since the 90s and I don’t remember ever seeing a red one. It looks more like fiberglass to me. I know that you expressed interest in the Pack that I sold this morning but too late. If I had seen that someone was demanding $300 for that thing I would have priced mine at $1,500 instead of $375. Just remember that when they were new in the pre Angler 90s, they listed for about $1,000. Royalex is fantastic and rare. There is now way I would pay anything for Wrecked Red.
Good Luck in your search,
Bob

Hi Bob,

I did not buy this. I actually found another much nicer one for $750. More than I wanted to pay, but it is in excellent condition. Just took it fishing and couldn’t be happier.

@Adam E. said:

Hi Bob,

I did not buy this. I actually found another much nicer one for $750. More than I wanted to pay, but it is in excellent condition. Just took it fishing and couldn’t be happier.

Hi Adam,

I’m glad that you were able to get a real Pack. They are great little boats. The one thing that I have discovered since listing mine is that I should have priced it higher. I just saw one on ebay almost as nice as mine for $800. Oh well, at least I didn’t have to haggle.

@Guideboatguy said:

It looks like a Pack to me. I’ve never heard of another Old Town solo with a raised keel. … I’ve never seen a composite canoe made for normal use that didn’t have float tanks.

To me, the fabric that’s visible at the points of damage looks like exposed material from previous repairs.

Other than the Old Town Discovery 119 CrossLink 3 canoe. With a raised keel, built in flotation and available in red.

@bobinsepa said:

@Adam E. said:

Hi Bob,

Hi Adam,

I’m glad that you were able to get a real Pack. They are great little boats. The one thing that I have discovered since listing mine is that I should have priced it higher. I just saw one on ebay almost as nice as mine for $800. Oh well, at least I didn’t have to haggle.

I did see one on eBay in Maine for $800, but it is at the northeastern most corner, basically Canada.

Do you know why they stopped making the Pack? Was it because they stopped using Royalex? The Discovery 119 is nice, but so much heavier.

@Adam E. said:
Do you know why they stopped making the Pack? Was it because they stopped using Royalex? The Discovery 119 is nice, but so much heavier.

The company that made Royalex stopped making it in early 2014. It was a shock to the canoe industry. And probably a boon to used Royalex canoe sales.

Well,

Newbie here. Just wanted to jump on quickly. If there is a protocol for new members to introduce I’ll do so later.

Just wanted to let you all know I am the idiot who ended up buying it. BEFORE i saw this post :slight_smile:

HIN starts with XT 060. Not sure if there is an Old Town Data base that would confirm if in fact it is an Old Town.

There are a few ugly patches with fiberglass mat that are coming off, a couple of bad gouges on the stem and the bow handle is snapped. they may haev accounted for some of the confusion as to Royalex.

I’ll take copious pix of it as I plan on.

Thank you THEBOB for the Eds Canoe recommendations. Not sure if I’ll buy a new seat or repair myself but the handle is goingto be first.

Can anyone tell by the HIN if it is an old Town? The Seller was a bit unusual and rather evasive but he met me within 4 miles of my house and settled on a lower price so at least I have a very light solo canoe for the stable.

any help will be appreciated.

Will make a fun story going forward as I fix her up

Ha, that is awesome that you got it. I ordered a new seat from Eds Canoe. Nice that they are a VT company and only an hour from me. Best of luck with the boat! I’ll sell you my seat which is fine, if you want it. I just didn’t find it very large, or comfortable.

I’m a sucker for a project. Oft times it makes no real sense when you factor in my extremely valuable time…but I enjoy, and I’ll use it daily.

Luckily for me I don’t require a large seat, knee pads at my age yes, but I can get by on a thwart if needed.

is your old seat off of a Pack?

Yep. I can PM a photo if you want

That would be great.

i’m leaving for the day so i may not get back to you until the morning depending on what awaits at home.

BTW: Received a great response from Old Town: With their help i was able to get an exact HIN based on their system: XTC 6083 J 485. So at least it is an old Town.

I’m going to send him pix in the a.m.

Couple of shots

After cleaning up the boat a bit I became alarmed by the composition of the interior of the canoe…It almost felt like bare canvas. I poured a cup of water in it before leaving for work yesterday and was surprised to see it still puddling up in the boat.

Here is a close up of one of the numerous repairs on the boat.

Any clue as the make up of the interior??

here is a better shot of the interior/seam

I bet someone fiberglassed the whole interior to make the hull stiffer.

Yes, that is certainly not the appearance of the vinyl-coated interior of a Royalex boat. It looks like plain weave fiberglass. That might be OK if the bond to the underlying vinyl of the Royalex is good, but it will add weight. If the surface is rough it is because the weave of the cloth was not fully filled with resin.