Open boater w/ an opened mind

canoe or kayak
Some people refer to the Kruger boats as kayaks. They have the look of a kayak because of the deck. The kruger boats are right where canoes and kayaks meet. The kruger dreamcatcher is referred to as a kayak. The dreamcatcher is the same as my kruger sea wind except it has a much smaller cockpit. Verlesns boats were all designed to be paddled with a single blade in mind. You can use a double blade, but it would not be as efficient as a single blade in verlens boats.

John

take a single and a double
The best of both worlds would be to take a single and a double blade paddle. Most people carry a back up paddle, why not be the opposite of the primary paddle.

John

Daggermatt: kedging technique
You simply disassemble your two-piece paddle and push alternately on each side of the boat.

Jim

2 piece paddle?
Is that like a broken beavertail? Got one of those but the slivers hurt when I kedge with that one!

No crying on the paddling fourm
G2d, I have been thinking I may on jumped on you a bit hard and I will apologize if…

#1 you promise in the future to contact me personally for apology requests instead of crying and bellyaching on the paddle form. People want to read about paddling here not hear crying.

#2 know at the very least a little bit about what you are posting. You don’t have to be an expert, but at least know something on the subject at hand.

As far as polling goes… poles seem to rule in swift moving shallow water, at least that is my experience. They also have a dual use. In case you need to club someone over the head the pole would seem to be more effective than a single or double bladed paddle.

John Latecki

Not to split hairs,
but didn’t Verlen actually portage 63 miles during his paddle up the Colorado, or was that another trip of his? Not that carrying a Sea Wind 63 miles, however insane one may think it tis, is not impressive in itself.

As a card carrying member of the paddling’s Proletariat, I reserve the right to have opinions about the Bourgeoisie. I must say, while Mr. Kruegers’ numbers are quite astonishing, my personal opinion of the man as I know him, is closer to Stavemaker’s than that of JrLatecki’s.

No he paddled
’'but didn’t Verlen actually portage 63 miles during his paddle up the Colorado, or was that another trip of his?""

That was another of Verlens trips. Well same trip different spot, he portaged 60 miles near south pass Wyoming. Verlen and Steve did have some portages around some of the rapids paddling UP the Colorado river , but most the time it was spent driving up the current and rapids.

Yeah,
that’s pretty friggin’ gnarly, alright.

They portaged A LOT of rapids.
Get serious.

I did this back in '73, when exploring
a flatwater creek. During my run, a cold front came through, and suddenly I was faced with high winds in my face. I alternated using my single and double blade, in my open canoe. I think I may have been better off having both available, as it enabled me to reach the take out when if I had used just a single OR a double blade, I would have been wind-blown against the bank until well after dark.

I have not been crying and belly
aching on here at all. Improve your perception of your own statements and actions.

By the way, as a former electromyographer, I was very impressed by your exposition of the issue of breeding horses with maladaptive muscles. You set forth the issue very clearly.

It is not relevant to ask people for their “credentials”. The facts are the issue. You lost sight of that.