Opinions on this Greenland paddle on Etsy?

I’ve been wanting to try out a Greenland style paddle since have some shoulder issues. They’re pretty expensive though, and I happened on this one on Etsy. It’s considerably cheaper than others I’ve seen. I know zip about paddle construction and wondered how these might look to anyone experienced in terms of quality. Of course it doesn’t make sense to try to save money on a product that’s not good, so I can always wait until I have more funds. Thanks for your opinions!

https://www.etsy.com/listing/518871454/greenland-kayak-paddle-semi-shouldered?ga_order=most_relevant&ga_search_type=all&ga_view_type=gallery&ga_search_query=greenland%20paddle&ref=sr_gallery-1-1

Sizing is important.

http://qajaqrolls.com/2014/07/the-perfect-greenland-paddle.html

Not much information on the paddle but a lot of other information. For example length over all, width of blades…price.

Don’t know anything about that particular paddle, or its maker, but it is priced very reasonably. Weight seems about right and construction seems solid.

I’m a little surprised that I haven’t run across them as they aren’t too far away from me. A quick gander at their web site here: https://www.traditionalmarine.net/ suggests that they are legit. I’m not a big fan of varnished GPs although Al Anderson does varnish his. Loom length is fair but a touch long for my tastes however I see that they do build to your needs. For the price it might be worth giving it a try.

That’s a very good price for a laminated GP. I paid $100 more than that for a 5 lamination custom one 10 years ago. And have never regretted it – still love that paddle. Mine is 84" with a 19" loom – I’m 5’ 5", have shortish arms and paddle kayaks that are 21" to 23" loom. They can probably help you select a size. I’d say, go for it!

Make your own. Even a monkey can do it. I know this to be true because I’ve done it myself a bunch of times.

But if you have your heart set on spending money, that’s probably about the least you can spend and walk away with one.

Thanks for all the comments.

My problem with making my own, which is my general MO in life, is that my school forced me to take Home Ec instead of Shop because of gender discrimination, and I therefore have NO woodworking skills at all. So I’m probably about as smart as a monkey, but possibly less skilled.

By the time you bought the necessary tools (drawknife, bandsaw, plane) and materials (clear-grained cedar or fir, tung or linseed oil, varnish) and possibly had to start over with a second piece of wood, not to mention the time involved, you might as well pay the $130.

Yeah, I’m from one of those generations where they insisted that we “girls” take sewing and cooking classes in junior high while the “boys” got to take shop. As I had been trained at home to do cooking and sewing since I was in third grade (and was already making most of my own clothes), I actually petitioned to be allowed to take shop but was told it would be “unsafe” because girls were not allowed to wear pants to school and it would “distract” the boys if I was in the classroom. I think I became a construction electrician and learned to do my own remodeling as an adult to prove that I could do anything a guy can – it really is not hard. I suspect you could make your own paddle, but, as I noted, if you don’t already have the tools at hand it would not be cost effective.

Ha, I also asked to take shop since I already knew how to cook and sew. I was turned down with no explanation though I certainly did wear pants to school! Unfortunately unlike you, however, I was pretty much deterred and never went on to learn many of those practical “man” skills I now wish I knew. My father was completely hopeless in that regard and probably that didn’t help.

That being said, I think my spouse has most of those tools. Maybe it’s not too late to teach an old dog shop.

@qajaqman said:
Make your own. Even a monkey can do it. I know this to be true because I’ve done it myself a bunch of times.

But if you have your heart set on spending money, that’s probably about the least you can spend and walk away with one.

Can you send a monkey to make me a paddle? I’m still amazed that people can carve a symmetrical GP in their garage. I don’t have the time or the space or the tools to make the attempt. Besides, I’d want a two piece. I find one piece paddles too cumbersome to store and transport.

@willowleaf said:
By the time you bought the necessary tools (drawknife, bandsaw, plane) and materials (clear-grained cedar or fir, tung or linseed oil, varnish) and possibly had to start over with a second piece of wood, not to mention the time involved, you might as well pay the $130.

Let’s see I bought two planes plus an electric handheld planer. Then a jigsaw and a Bosch multi tool.I almost forgot the $22 cedar 2 x 4. That paddle is a deal.

Thanks. I have a habit of taking on more projects than I have time for, so perhaps purchasing one is the best bet, despite that I’d love to be able to make my own!

So, Willow, let me ask for your expert opinion on sizing: I am 5’6” with longish arms. Kayak is 21” wide. In a Euro paddle I like 210 cm, and I seem to keep the drip rings about 20.5” apart. But when I measure for loom I get more like 19”. Advice? Thanks again.

where are you located Doggy Paddler? Maybe there is someone close that would have one to try, instead of gambling on something that really doesn’t show it’s 3 d shape. If the paddle isn’t right then the experiences of trying it tells you very little.

Good point. I’m in NY state Hudson River Valley.

https://www.hrgf.org/ This is where you want to be

Hudson River Greenland Festival

I absolutely do, but unfortunately I’m going to be away this week. Maybe next year. Great idea though, thank you.

Wow, that video sure makes it look fun!