Paddle bags, how do you transport your paddle?

Bought paddle bags for the carbon fiber paddles. I just through the cheap rev paddles in the back. The GP paddles don’t fit anywhere and usually get tied off somewhere.

This is my first post on here. I’m located in Austin, TX, looking for other paddlers.

I really like all the ideas shared on this post. I bought a golf club case and use that to transport my paddles. Easy to carry. I like the idea of the sweat pants to protect the blades.

Welcome to the neighborhood, kayaKENatx!

Paddle bags? gun cases? do you wax your car every Sunday?

1 Like

When a paddle costs $450 (or more), never a bad idea to protect that investment.

1 Like

I do some of my boating in shallow water. Often from a shallow rocky shore. My paddles get banged up far worse on the water than at home or in the truck. My Epic kayak paddle came with a bag. That’s the only bag I have. I don’t worry about it much.

Maybe a little off-topic, but Ikea Frakta bags can hold a ton of gear…with handles, zippers, and they’re easier to pack because of the shape. I’ve used them for moving, and also for all my clothes, blankets, pillow, etc for camping trips.

that’s a good product I have one.

My paddles reside in my back seat floor boards. Like anything that gets used they have scrapes and dings but not from transport.

1 Like

I too use sweatpants, but also sweatshirts. High angle paddles have each blade separately placed blade-first into the legs of sweatpants and low angle paddles are put blade-first into the arms of sweatshirts (b/c narrow blades). I want to get a nice snug fit, so they don’t slide out.

I have a couple of paddle bags, each of which holds two paddles (splits), but these may no longer be available. One from NRS and one from Seals.

In the back of the truck, no bags or padding. I have homemade paddles made in 1980 that still look pretty new because they get sanding and varnish.

I just throw them in the back of the car with all of the other gear. Any scratches have come from ramps, rocks, and other underwater obstructions. It’s a paddle, not a Stradivarius.

2 Likes

thanks for the tip about the shotgun case! I have just ordered the same for my Gearlab GPs

I carried 6 canoe paddles today to meet a friend for a tandem paddle in the Ann Arbor area (and of course only used 2). For me the paddle socks main purpose is to keep extra paddles from rattling and sliding around, especially in the canoe. Sometimes I’ll use a sock that can carry two paddles just to make it easier to carry the paddles along with other gear. 5 of the 6 in the pic were custom made by friends.

2 Likes

Same here. I have ZRE bags with space for two paddles and a couple bags that can hold four paddles. Makes it easy to organize and carry paddles on the road, especially if there are several people sharing the ride. I just store the paddles in the bags, hanging from the floor joists in the basement.

Tom

My wife made mine

2 Likes

My 1 piece paddles are tied to the rack along side my kayak when I load them.

My 2 piece paddles are taken down the placed in the tool box of my truck that runs side to side across the bed, or simply set in the passenger side seat leaning against the seat and door.

The padded shotgun case is a great fit for my 230cm Gearlab Outdoors Akiak GP. I bought it from Amazon

2 Likes