Paddle for big paddlers

good one ! thanks for heads-up.

What hull are you paddling?

I just order the Celtic Kinetic 750.

im on seda glider.

Cool should be fast nice ride!

A question. Wouldnā€™t a paddle with less surface area used at a higher frequency give the same speed with less stress in the body?
Iā€™m a big guy who used to love big paddles until I partly wrecked a shoulder overdoing strength training.

Yes 10,000 RPM :laughing:

Only kidding :rofl::grinning:

Tried my Shuna the other day it was slower more repetitions and I was more tired vs my Corryvreckan. You donā€™t need to stroke hard with a big paddle and kill yourself. If you need it, power is there. Iā€™d rather not raise my arms more to go the same speed.

Iā€™ll have my new paddle in a couple of weeks or less I hope.

For the size and needs of the OP another way to go would be a longer paddle.

I just went from a 230cm to a 260cm for my tandem canoe I mad a solo center seat. I didnā€™t change the blade area but can really notice the difference with a longer lever arm.

Kind of like the difference in an engine with boring it out or a stroker.

I know from bikes some riders are spinners and some mashers. Spinners hold up a lot better.

Then you canā€™t do high angle if you want to go fast. Canoe is not a kayak although Iā€™ve never been in one. My 210 with the blade submerged below the water my hand is at the top of my head. That slows you down if youā€™re looking to stroke next to the hull. I have a 205 Ikelos and I think a 200 would be better.

What do you mean ā€˜notice a differenceā€™? Iā€™d be curious to see comparable GPS data. My experience has been that longer paddles move the blade away from the power source and result in a slower pace.

1 Like

Longer paddle means youā€™re swinging a bigger arc not as effective as pulling the paddle blade next to the hull almost straight.

I didnā€™t notice a difference in speed nor did I check speed I noticed it in expended effort per stroke. The reason I went to a longer kayak paddle in a canoe with shallow stroke was the width of the beam when moving to center. I actually added an extension of 30cm to the two piece paddle I was using to test it. The angles became much better but adding 15cm on each side without making the blade area smaller is what was noticeable.

The op is a taller person and he said he paddles both high and low angle.

It sounded like he wanted to expend more effort per stroke. I donā€™t really know.

Just to clear some implicit questions raised here. The reason im looking for the paddle with the bigger blades is to get high muscles load. I know that stroke speed will be reduced, at least at the beginning, but the force i need to apply to make stroke - will be higher.
Bigger paddle of the blade - is an analog of engine torque.
More frequent strokes - is an analog of engine power.

Thatā€™s correct if we use a bike analogy gearing is the primary thing people focus on but torque is also a factor of wheel size and crank arm length. Paddle length given a stroke that allows for it of course is similar to crank arm length. Mountain bikes have smaller dia. wheels lower gearing and longer crank arms compared to road bikes.

Or in engine design you can have larger pistons or a longer stroke of the crank shaft to reach a desired goal.

Look for a Lendal Powermaster, if you want big . They are no longer made as far as I know. So used market.

I paid $130 for a 260cm carbon fiber paddle & still not sure if itā€™s worth it.

$130 and carbon fiber sounds like a contradiction. I got a Chinese made cf for about that price. A blade fell off after a few uses. The company replaced it in a few days. It was a wing which I didnā€™t like so I sold it.

260 - is very long paddle.

1 Like

Not if youā€™re on a viking ship.

1 Like

But those donā€™t reach the same goal.