Paddle On Wide-Brim Hat

I was wondering if anyone has experience with this hat. I like to periodically soak my hat in the water and place on my head. Will this hat hold up to that?

No specific experience, but keep in mind that much of the sun will be reflected by the water back to your face and neck. Even the widest brim won’t prevent this.

I have a great Outdoor Research Sun Runner that often gets wet when I roll. It has much better side protection.

At the risk of exciting some people, I have worn out one Tilly and am working on another. Great hats.
As Sparky says, reflected sunlight can burn your face but that’s what sunscreen is for.

1 Like

If the underside of the brim is black there should be no reflectivity. If it is white, then yup, white reflects.

When I think about reflectivity, I see the light reflected off wavelets millions of times.

I just went through 3 skin cancer surgeries, two on my face. I have spent a lot of time on the water and had an outdoor career. The new style neck gaiters often called a Buff can be just the thing after some time on the water. Great for multiple day trips. They breathe and you can cover your face. I have started wearing thin fingerless gloves for long days on the water also.

If you are referring to the “Paddle On” wide brim hat sold from this website’s store, yes I have one. It’s an excellent hat, well made and has a nice drop-down panel that covers my neck. The panel rolls up and stows when not needed. Water, along with wear+tear, typical of outdoor use, eventually takes it toll on every hat I use.

The “Paddle On” hat’s brim doesn’t have a green underside.

More often I wear very wide large straw hats, usually found in most lawn and garden stores, and combine their use with neck gaiters. When finding effective hats that shade well, I buy two or three.

Everything wears out, eventually. Me too :slight_smile:

I am glad to hear you like the hat. We have gotten a good response from purchasers so far.

A wide brimmed hat is a great idea for the water. Add a strap or stampede string to keep it in place in the wind. I have been wearing felt and straw western hats for 50 years. On the water, a hat does you no good in keeping the reflecting rays of the sun from the water off your face. That’s why I mention the Buff for long days and multiple day trips.

Thanks for basically answering my question. I looked back at my question and asked specifically asked about soaking it in the water as I had a hat for years that was actually an Australian golf hat that I loved but lost it down the river. It was made specifically to put in water and then put back on your head and when the wind blew through the weave it was cooling. I got all this conversation about sun reflecting off of water. But you did touch on the water and wear an tear.

Oh, now I understand. You meant that it is intentional to wet the hat for its evaporative cooling effect while wearing it.

Yes. The wide brim ‘Paddle On’ hat can be dunked and then worn. It has a robust buoyant brim that will still do its job while wet, and a soft cloth top that will dry easily (thus cool as it does). The headband mops-up sweat. The chinstrap is detachable. There is another cord to adjust headband tightness. So if it needs to be adjusted to fit your head while the hat is wet, you can. And when the hat dries, it can be readjusted for that too.

(My only regret is that I didn’t buy two of the ‘canoe head’ logo hats while they were available and on sale).

Thanks, very helpful

We will have them back in stock, just not quite sure when.

If you can help us sell about 20 of the other canoe head hat, we can re-order right away :wink:

I’ve always liked the Tilley hats. Wide reinforced brim with dark green underside. Water repellent, but can be dunked to cool off. Built in sweat band. Has front and back straps, won’t blow off from front or back. Floats. https://www.tilley.com/us_en/women/hats.html?activities=19 Made in Canada.

Warranted for life, even for normal wear and tear. A bit expensive, but I’m just started on my third hat at no additional cost. The hats I’ve had lasted about 10 years each before sweat, sun, salt water, and heavy use degraded to fabric along the sweat band in from. The new hats are made of a different material now, so may be even more resilient. My original hat cost $45.

Tilley has temporarily stopped manufacturing hats to switch to making masks and other items for covid-19, but may still have some items in stock or at other retailers…

@canoedoc - FYI - we just got the canoehead wide-brim hats back in stock.

Thank you, Brian, for letting me know. If you check your store orders, you have one less in stock, now, than what you had earlier today. I enjoy these hats and like having an extra. The best hats are those we will wear (sort of like that saying about PFDs).
Thanks again,
Mark L.

1 Like

A baseball style cap helps keep the sun out of your eyes. It does nothing to protect your neck, the top of your ears or your temples. All are likely places for skin cancer. Wear hat with a brim. Sometimes you can improvise. Using a bandanna under a baseball cap covers all of the place eluded to in the first sentence.

My father in law died from the treatment for skin cancer on his temples.

1 Like

This is the last one I bought. It really covers me and its UPF 50 $14.95 on Ebay. BTW, it is not me in the photo.

The sun reflects off the water, so even a brimmed hat is not enough protection. For long days on the water, or multiple day trips I suggest a buff to cover the face at least some of the time. After melanoma on my cheek and two surgeries skin cancer is very real. I now carry fingerless gloves. The face and hands are the most exposed parts of your body. Sunscreen is not enough.

Last year may be the first time in my life I got through the summer without getting sunburned. We live at 5,000 feet. The mountain lakes are much higher. That is a lot of UV light coming off the water.