Paddlin' in the rain?

Now, I know that if you are out there and it starts raining it’s one thing. How many of you would actually go out to paddle in on-going rain?

I ask because my plan today was to go explore the Parker River after I did some things around the house.

I am a very new paddler and I was interested in doing some exploring, seeing some critters and getting some “stick time” in to practice my Mad Skilz.

So, would YOU guys head out in the rain?

Yup…

– Last Updated: Jun-04-08 8:24 AM EST –

"Ah'm paddlin' in de rain. Wat a glorious feelin'. Jus' paddlin' in de rain". Move over Gene Kelly.

In de summer an' hot temps (over 70) dats about de only time ah' go a'paddlin' - in de rain. Snow paddlin' is great too.

FE

I love paddling in the rain. On Jocassee
the lake lays down, the wind stops, and the power boaters never show. It is wonderful.

Nope…
Not unless I got caught in it, and then I continue on and enjoy it.

Cheers,

JackL

There’s no such thing as bad weather
…just bad clothes. (I stole that quote from somewhere - forget where). As long as you have good waterproof clothing and hat, you won’t even get wet. I love paddling in the rain. It’s a treat for the senses.

nope, won’t do it

– Last Updated: Jun-04-08 8:59 AM EST –

until after work today. Downpours are one thing, todays forecast is showers. If I get too wet, I'll just go for a swim. Should be easily arranged ;-).
Actually, high upper 60's today and some good WW for the after work run. Might wear the drysuit over shorts and a t-shirt.
Seeing you're from Mass., dress to stay dry. Wet and warm is fun, but shivering takes most of the fun out of paddling.
Great quote from Nchill :-). So true.

Yes and No

– Last Updated: Jun-04-08 9:14 AM EST –

I don't think twice about paddling whitewater in the rain. Wet is wet.
I do find it harder to get motivated to paddle quiet water unless it's a warm rain. It seems pretty warm in Woburn right now. I probably would go for the Parker today if I wasn't at work. It would be good to see that before the Greenheads come out!
What time is high tide?

Yeah - plenty

– Last Updated: Jun-04-08 9:56 AM EST –

Around home the rainy days are usually reserved for going places that are relatively unique opportunities - if we don't go today it'll not be possible to put that trip together again - or for skills practice where we'll be wet anyway.

When we are vacationing in Maine, we've had stays where we paddled in the rain 3 days out of 4 because it was raining most of the time we were there. If we waited for dry weather to paddle, we'd have lost too much time on the water.

If we are in a training session, rain is pretty irrelevant unless there is thunder with it.

(It probably helps that we have drysuits tho'.)

Yup
Beware of flooding conditions … of course in the West that’s what a lot of “whitewater” paddlers are looking for.

what’s wrong with rain?
Like Brussel sprouts, like a cigar, like opera,

you should try it. You might find you like it.

of course
unless it’s an outrageous storm with downpours, winds over 25 knots and/or severe lightening/tornados etc. Why do you think I spent all that money on a drysuit?

water everywhere
Rain keeps the riff raff off the rivers here in the land of NJ. I do enjoy paddling in the rain and falling snow.

Stay away from flooded rivers and shy away from lightening. Not a fan of wind.

Paddling in rain
No problems with rain, just be aware of lightning, winds, etc. Paddle within your experience level. What is comfortable for one person may not be comfortable for another.

Two points to remember:

“There’s no such thing as bad weather, only poor clothing”."

“It’s better to be on shore wishing you were on the water than to be on the water wishing you were on shore”.

Rain Man ?
Hi Mr. Grumpy,

Our rule is that you should be prepared to paddle in the rain. There are several things that should get a paddler to shore. One is lightening. It can cover great distances and will gravitate to the high point on water which might be you. I’ve got a list of ten things to do in case of lightening, but it’s a bit long. You can probably Google it. Second, is surge in water level, usually on a river as oppossed to a lake. Third, depending on temps, can be the possibility of hypothermia. I always bring a rain parka with hood to be more comfortable in the rain. It’s probably a good idea to wear it under your PFD.

Not…
Not a big fan of rain paddling; especially if the temp is in the 30s or 40s. Can deal with it if necessary, but can’t truthfully say I enjoy it.

Hate lightning, sleet, or freezing rain.

Like to paddle in the snow.

Like to camp in the snow.

All of the above usually sends the “river dorks” flying towards the take out, or home, and that is a “good thing”.

BOB

All the time
It’s one of my favorite times to paddle, that and a snowstorm. It just seems to accentuate the solitary mood that you get when paddling in either of those conditions, and it somehow seems to bring you closer to nature because you are out in circumstances that many people would avoid. You become privy to a different side of nature. It’s beautiful when it’s ugly.

Ahhh, rain, my friend when its 95
out…that’s late may to early October here. Don’t care much for lightening.

absolutely
Very cool in a downpour.

Get yourself a cheap or disposable waterproof camera and you can get some cool shots also!

relief
rain is welcome here in the sunny south. forecast here for the week, temps in the low 90’s, sunny and breezy. i can only take so much sun. i’m paddling early in the day to avoid too much direct sun as we approach the summer solstice.

Yup

– Last Updated: Jun-04-08 1:20 PM EST –

With skirt, drytop, and rainhat, I can be warm and dry -- more so than most of the soggy fishermen I see.