Paddlin' in the rain?

I’ll tolerate it
If I’m out and the rain comes, I’m usually prepared to deal with it. But I won’t go out of my way to paddle in it. I’ve been there, done that, I have more fun dry without raindrops interfering with my visions (I wear glasses full time).

Snow, on the other hand…I’ll definitely go out in the snow if the water isn’t hard.

-rs

Interesting cross section of answers!
I elected to not go out today. I don’t think that a gentle, steady rain like we are having here would cause any “surge” but that’s not at all what I’m after any way. If I were to go out now I’d have to bring the child and I’m fairly certain that she’s NOT into getting soaked while paddling.

Dry suits and all are great, but I don’t have any of that.

I think that I need to desperately take a class. How would one get into a kayak, or even a canoe for that matter, in the winter without getting your feet wet or frost-bit?

Mukluks, Pilgrim. Mukluks
FE

We would love some rain to do
whatever in.

Its hard to get psyched for
a day paddle in the rain. Otherwise I would be out paddling now.

On a trip, no problem. Rain happens.

What I wish it would do is get warm. The weather man lied again. Last weekend it was supposed to be 90 by this weekend.

Today Wednesday, it is 42. I am tired of this. Just had a week long trip in just above freezing conditions all the time.

Only on camping trips
and not in lightning.

At home, doing day trips–no, I don’t deliberately set out to paddle in the rain. In summer, it usually means a thunderstorm is not far behind.

if I get there and then it rains
If I am at the launch site and ready to go when it begins to rain, chances are the rain won’t stop me.

Today though, I would have use a gallon or more of gas to get there and the same to get back home, and it is already stormy and wet. It all depends.

One day a summer or two ago, it rained gently the whole three or four hours I was out. It was a peaceful day I will treasure in my memory far into the future.

Tully Lake in the Rain
One of my most enjoyable trips in the rain was at Tully Lake. Buddy and I went out to scout it out for a club trip the following weekend. It was Columbus Day weekend and the foliage was just about peak. It poured buckets, but after driving for over an hour to get there, we weren’t going to leave without paddling. Turned out to be a great trip. (Then again, Tully Lake is a great place to paddle in any weather.)

http://outdoors.webshots.com/photo/2547521640075003331TjXoat

Rain, snow, sleet - its all good. Thunder and lightning - that’s another story.

Drysuit with booties

– Last Updated: Jun-04-08 4:53 PM EST –

As above mukluks for some, some find the Seal Skinz waterblocker socks work OK, but increasingly it seems the solution for winter paddling is a drysuit with booties. Around here anyway, I don't know of anyone who tries to extend their season into winter without deciding to go the drysuit route.

sing
doesn’t wear a dry suit but he’s the only one that I have heard of that paddles in the winter time without one— except for some guy whose name escapes me who swears his wetsuit is just as effective–probably best not to start the drysuit—wetsuit debate so soon after that last time—it’s right up there with PFDs, firearms, etc.

weather in Northern Maine
supposed to be in the 80s sunday—let’s hope they are not lying to us again.

Especially in the Rain
If it’s a weekend morning and it’s dry I ride the bike. If it’s raining I go kayaking.

In an already existing rain ?? …

– Last Updated: Jun-04-08 5:46 PM EST –

......... like it's been going on since midnight or so into the morning light and expected to continue until late eve. ?? ........... maybe - maybe not ......... alot depends on the temp. and the winds , of course convective and meso systems get extra special considerations , as do water temps. ......... alot depends on how fired up I would be , maybe a new exploration might lean towards the go decision !! ........... don't like wet and cold and windy when combined , but seems it's always that way in the springtime so I figure that's nothin compared to being shut down for the winter ........ cabin fever needs it's medicine and that's get outside and fish , paddle , camp etc. .......... rather be on the water than on muddy wet ground , so ........... love my lightwieght expensive rain gear , it always there with me when on the water , works in light rains , heavy rains , and breaks the wind too ............ tell ya what , if I wasn't going to go when rain was around , I'd miss the whole spring event it seems , especially this spring , a wet one ........... if I wasn't going to go when it was cold , same thing ........... what puts me off the most is the heat and the powerful Sun !! ........... as paddlers , outdoor and water people , we always know what the weather is suppose to be , right ?? ........... we measure the best and worst case scenarios of the forecast , and decide accordingly , right ?? .......... probably the most difficult thing to deal with if it's just chill and rains w/ light to med. winds , is the decision to load up the noe and gear in it , once past that the rest is a simple state of denial , right ?? ... lol ..

never
you might get wet. you never want to get wet. very bad.

Oops - y’r right
I forgot - Sing has found comfortable wetsuits, but he’s also wet a lot with the surfing and working hard. Don’t know if that’d be the same for the canoeist here.

No one in my local circle - rephrase my original statement.

in Jamaica they call it…
…liquid sunshine!

a gentle rain works for me if the temp is high enough…I like seeing what it does to the water surface. I guess if you enjoy paddling in a hard driving rain with winds kicking up I would probably be heading to the take-out without you.

Huh?
Sorry but you completely lost me on that one, can’t tell how much is serious.

I use a weather radio to check out my meso systems, but Ma Nature regularly makes a meso’ those predictions.

hahahaha
channel 6 has changed its forecast again…from the noon one, which was different from yesterday and the day before.

Now I will rely on the most trustworthy weather forecast tool I have. My hand. Stick outside. If wet its raining.

The good news is the blackflies are frustrated again. Watch out when the weather gets good. You ought to be eaten good in Northern Maine if the sun comes out.

They have developed little hooks for riding in the middle of the lake. They will take any blood and have adapted; used to be they never went with you in the boat.

Celia , huh ?? … is your response …
… directed toward my post ?? … "how much was serious " ??

I enjoy the rain also
I enjoy the solitude when others stay at home. I love to have the river or sheltered lake to myself. Have been caught in a hail storm and lighting and that was not cool. However you’ll see more wildlife. Rainy days are also the best time to visit the local nursery. Most people stay home.

Try it you’ll like it! Jim