Paddling and Tenkara

My friend Frank suggested I check out the videos on fishing with a Tenkara rod, It seems that the Japaneses did away with the reel and because the pole has no eyes for the line to pass through the rod telescopes down inside itself to anywhere between 15-30" depending on the number of sections. My primary rod is 12’ long extended and 20" when telescoped down. the line is attached at the end of the pole and is a fixed length. You cast it much like a fly rod. I have another close friend that said with a smirk " Oh kind of like a fancy cane pole". It is about the perfect go anywhere fishing rig consisting of a pole, line, tippet, and lure all in a 20" 2-3 oz package. It’s just right to slip under the bungees on a kayak and have at hand. I have had lots of fun with it the last few days, I also bought a 10’ rod that is 30" collapsed for about $18 with tax and shipping, So they don’t have to be high end rods to give this style a try,

rods and results

Boats fished from the last coup;e of days. Two of us could cast at the same time from the tandem kayak. The plant in the canoe is Marsh Mallow that i plan to plant at our 3 acre pond.

A lunch time visit.

I smell a marketing opportunity for Tenkara specific kayaks, canoes and paddle boards. And accessorizes too. Sarcasm aside, I do like the simplistic approach this “new” style embraces.

Likewise, have been intrigued with the rod’s simplicity. But, worse than boats, I already have the whole range of flyrods from wt2-12, ultalight to light freshwater spinning rods, medium to heavy saltwater spinning rods and my new interest in baitcasting outfits for jig fishing for fluke, black seabass and tautaug.

The good thing is that I’ve been out fishing with the Hobie every weekend in the past 6 weeks. :slight_smile:

sing

Simplicity is the philosophy behind tenkara. One line length, one lure, a focus primarily on presentation, and attention to environmental factors and what makes the fish respond. The compactness of the rod and light weight as well as a minimum of gear are what I found attractive for kayaking in particular. What I have found for me is a fun style of fishing to add to my kayaking.

So I’ll give a brief review of an inexpensive tenkara rod and what you need for the rod. They come in different numbers of telescoping sections. My 9 section 12’ rod is 20" ( this is the all purpose length with which I would suggest starting) when collapsed which slips right under the deck bungees. The rod in the photo is 6 sections, 10’ extended and 30" collapsed and cost about $15 before taxes. You will need the line which is often the same length as the rod. you can make your own or order one already constructed. They usually come wrapped onto a foam spool for storage. I hook a few extra lures into the foam spool. You also need a tippet line that you knot to the main line. The tippet is a thin clear leader that you tie to the lure. About 3 to 4 feet is all that is used. So you would want a spool of tippet line with you while fishing to replace broken lines.

Collapsed rod with line spool and lures.

Close up of spool. Note the extra hole I added in the spool for keeping the gold rod tip (keeps sections inside rod when collapsed) from being easily lost.

Close up of super thin rod tip and lilian tip ( black string tip with a half hitch stopper knot). Note the gold rod tip stopper( in the hole I made in the spool. The white string loop coming off the spool is used to attach the line to the lilian on the rod above the stopper knot with a simple and quickly untied girth knot.

Extended 10’ rod on 19’ tandem kayak. the center hole in the spool just happened to fit this handle so that is how I keep the line, lures and rod together when not fishing.

@sing said:
Likewise, have been intrigued with the rod’s simplicity. But, worse than boats, I already have the whole range of flyrods from wt2-12, ultalight to light freshwater spinning rods, medium to heavy saltwater spinning rods and my new interest in baitcasting outfits for jig fishing for fluke, black seabass and tautaug.

The good thing is that I’ve been out fishing with the Hobie every weekend in the past 6 weeks. :slight_smile:

sing

Peddling or paddling I think you would take one of these simple rods with you even when fishing wasn’t your main focus. All you would need is a cheap 12’ rod and line for under $30 to know. I read reviews where backpackers are willing to carry the extra couple of ounces, I suspect you could attached a rod to your bike frame and not know it was there until you found yourself crossing a stream wondering if the fish would bite.