Paddling.com Acquired by VerticalScope

Nobody likes change. If you keep your hands off and let the users do what we do, this type of change will be acceptable. Don’t be intrusive.

1 Like

Understood, we are here to keep the lights on and the paint fresh. No plans to get in the way of the community.

Can you share the current pain points that the community has, I noticed it is painfully slow to upload images.

Jeff

Paddling.com → VerticalScope–> Torstar → NordStar (overlord, private equity)
Torstar - Wikipedia

VerticalScope
On July 29, 2015, Torstar announced its acquisition of a 56% majority stake in VerticalScope, a Toronto-based operator of online communities, for $200 million. The company operates websites and [message boards] that focus on [niche] categories, particularly within the automotive industry. Torstar CEO David Holland explained that the purchase was designed to bolster the company’s presence in digital media.

Then Nord bought Torstar about a year ago, I assume thats the new ownership you’re referring to?

Not much drama I can see initially. I’ll have to look up what other forums in the auto world they’ve taken over and how that went.
Im opposed only because consolidation is generally bad. Many small independent communities are generally better than 1 size fits all, but that’s not a given. My guess is we see little change

Thanks for replying. I am new here, but do enjoy it and want to hang around. Hoping that what we have continues.

Yes, I at least used to be a mustang guy. Had a no-option notch back years ago. Would like to get back in that game, but a/c is now a deal breaker and I like power options…

Glad to hear you’re a paddler.

3 Likes

Yup, it will be the same great community and members.

Nice, a lightweight. I had a 1993 Yellow Feature Edtion LX 5.0 and a few other fox bodies. Last was a Kenne Bell 03 Cobra I bought new and sold around 2008 to get the SRT Jeep. Now that I am older just have an older F150 to haul boats, dogs, and kayaks around the lake.

Jeff

Jeff I’d like to know why you deleted my post. I’ve never had a post of mine deleted before. I think it’s a bad way to start! If members post links to discussions of Vertical Scope that are unflattering, why can’t you simply explain to us if you think those views are not accurate? When you deleted my post you let me know you don’t value my voice or input.

2 Likes

I apologize, just trying to keep things positive.

There have been some vocal members over the years that do not paint an accurate picture of our company and our vision. I felt it might poison the well so to speak and put a bad taste in people’s mouths before they really get to know us.

We value constructive input but sharing threads bashing us is also not very welcoming.

Jeff

Well, it’s hard when those are the only things that come up. If some positive things had come up, I would’ve shared them too. But no one can see them now, can they, since you decided they shouldn’t.

Jeff, an apology for deleting my post is nice, but quashing any hint of dissent right from the get-go is a bad look. At any time if you don’t like what I say, if you decide it’s not positive enough, you will make it disappear? Yikes.

I think you’ll have a better reception with the community if you deal with us more fairly and more respectfully.

5 Likes

Understood and noted moving forward.

Here is our website if you would like to learn more about us.
https://www.verticalscope.com/

Jeff

I think when you get to know the site you will find fair minded people that can disagree without ranker over the subjective. The wealth of knowledge is profound, and I seem to always learn something. I think you will too. Just ask for any advice and you will find folks sharing what they know. This place is a true community in that regard. Deleting those posts sent up a red flag. You will certainly be welcome if you let us continue to express openly our point of view about the site and paddling topics.

5 Likes

Agree, already learning stuff, and seems like a great group here.

I also realized I am too fat for my Fusion 124 at 290 lbs. :stuck_out_tongue:

Jeff

You deleted mine too and all I said was the truth in that I could not find too many positive comments on Vertical Scope. In one day you proved the rumor mill correct. Apparently those vocal members of other forums are striking a nerve? This forum for better or worse has always allowed a free exchange of ideas. As the new admin you are not making a very good first impression.

2 Likes

Everyone needs to realize for the frequent posters here this is a community of like minded people. For the people that drop in and seek information it is a wonderful free source of information. For the owners of the site it is a for profit business.

In keeping this a community of people that want to be here and indirectly are working for free for the owners it continues to grow and draw in more viewers and produce profit for the owner group.

Most of these places get started by someone with some passion on a subject and it is more than a bottom line for them. As time goes on they find they have built something of worth and for many reasons feel it is time to pass it on, maybe it has just got larger than they could handle, they see it needs brought up to date, or a 100 other reasons.

I know nothing of the parent company that owns this now VerticalScope, but visited their page and it seems they like communities of like minded people that actually do something. They call it “highly active consumers”. Like any for profit business they will do their best to make money on their investment and when and if profits dwindle they will sell or close it down. They are the business not the impassioned members of the community working for free.

They sent Jeff here to say hi and put a face (so to say) to the company. He seems to be a nice enough guy that maybe ruffled some feathers right off. At least they announced what was going on in the forum, most would have just slid in quietly and no one would have paid attention.

@rstevens15 asked the germane question and got kind of a so/so answer that we will have to wait and see. Advertisement hits with traffic being drawn to a site is a big source of revenue and also the sharing of member information.

As to Jeff being prepared to fit in (no offence intended Jeff) but the vast majority of members here that act as resource givers take paddling very serious. They would suggest open containers on the water not a good idea and more importantly PFDs be worn not stored under the deck bungee.

I’m relatively new here myself and work as an Admin on other forums and I can tell you from my short time here the frequent posters here are an invaluable resource to the livelihood of this forum. I don’t think you could hire a better bunch if you tried.

4 Likes

Jeff, I respectfully suggest, that in a show of good faith in people’s ability to think for themselves, you un-delete the posts you deleted. That way we’ll all be able to trust that you genuinely support a free exchange of ideas, and will not censor posts that are not mere trolling. If Vertical Scope has indeed changed, then you should have no reason to try to stop people from reading things written about you, even if they are not positive.

2 Likes

OK. Yes, there has been another change and my years here have shown me that we don’t always do well with change of any sort. Seems like folks have had a chance to have their say and we should be prepared to move on and get back to paddling.

VS has heard us and whether they undelete comments so that folks can further scrutinize their assumed intent or not seems a waste of time to me. Their reviews are easy enough for everyone to find for whoever is interested. Personally, I would like to see this topic closed to further comment so that we aren’t distracted by it because people here have more important paddling related things to discuss. Please, let’s move on.

And Jeff, wear your PFD for God’s sake or at least don’t post a photo of it strapped to your deck.

8 Likes

Thanks for the understanding guys, we have no intentions of changing how the community is run or moderation style. The same team will still handle the day-to-day operations.

I figured I would catch some flack for the pics. The stream that feeds into our small lake that I mainly paddle on is no deeper than 1 foot with no rapids but I should have had it on. I do tend to stay off the main part of the lake due to all the crazy people on wakeboard boats tearing it up especially on weekends.

Jeff

The majority of the forums I associate with the mods are passionate and knowledgeable of the subject of the forum. Most of the time sadly the Admin and above are IT types that specialize in generic forum matters. It would be nice to have a top down passion but most of the time it is not necessary.

I had a new boss once where I worked for 43 years before I retired as a machine designer. He called me in the first day he was there and said I don’t have a clue what you do, I don’t want to know what you do, Everyone I asked said you are excellent at what you do, So I’m going to say hi and let you go back to whatever you do and if I don’t hear different about you I will be here in case you have a problem with your pay or benefits. I worked for him for 5 years and we got along great until he got promoted for doing such an outstanding job. I also had no clue what he did nor did I want to.

I honestly see this place quite a bit like that over the time I have spent here.

4 Likes

Uh-oh. Reminds me of the day my ex-wife announced it was a Special Day, and I was now free to find other women.

2 Likes

Goodbye Brian, thanks for many years of a great website.

8 Likes