Paddling speed - perception vs. reality (and 'thick' water?)

As I said; the right water conditions and the right boat can achieve something that at least mimics planing as the boat seems to release from the water and actually just rides atop the chop, or wavelets. Sometimes while surfing certain wave sets, I will just keep paddling past the crest of the wave and basically just catch the crests of all the waves in the set that are ahead. This is where the longer boat comes in handy as it can span the troughs without diving into them. This probably isn’t technically planing either, but it is a real rush of speed until you run out of waves and have to wait until another set catches up.

No I can tell you when I experience this the phenomenon can happen without waves because most of my paddling is on flatwater mostly early in the morning when its flat. I have posted that I am a bit clumsy and have poor balance so the less mirror, glassy like the water will be the less you’ll see us out there.

This last year or two I started to break from this only because after buying nicer, more expensive up-market boats I realized that not going out when it’s totally still seriously decreases my kayaking so I might be on a lake or river in the afternoon when it’s somewhat windy but even still, I definitely don’t like to “surf” or “edge” or “play” for sure. I have medical equipment and electronic devices on me that are NOT waterproof so Goal #1 is not tipping or falling in; I have succeeded in that for 17 years and not going to change that!

So what is noteable is while I am aware of what you mentioned, I have seen and felt this behavior in certain boats even in totally still water without waves.

In a racing canoe, you slide your seat forward and get the bow down and sprint like heck to achieve the “plane”

You really don’t want to be following someone there as you get sucked into their trough and end up with even less water to paddle in. Races are won and lost in the shallows

Not planing.

Planing (/ˈpleɪnɪŋ/ PLAY-ning ) is the mode of operation for a waterborne craft in which its weight is predominantly supported by hydrodynamic lift, rather than hydrostatic lift (buoyancy).

Kayak is never doing that with human power.

In a canoe we are popping the stern and achieving a lift provided by the water

Popping is not planing either bow or stern.

Ok well, it’s a form of hydrodynamic propulsion and lift so I stand by my term. You can pick a different word

One stroke on a paddle is hydrodynamic propulsion.

My point stands. Substitute whatever word you wish.

Post a definition you take as planing from a source other than yourself.

Plane
a level of existence, thought, or development.

“everything is connected on the spiritual plane”

1 Like

:joy::laughing::joy: we are talking physics.

I don’t know what ‘popping the stern’ means, I think I’ve heard it before, though.

Popping is not constant so it’s not planing.

Now we’re talking BS, unfortunately not uncommon here.

2 Likes

End of the first pictured paragraph: “plane or surf forward” — these are not the same phenomena.

Popping sounds like a big burst of effort to create a large bow wave in shallow water and move yourself forward enough to surf on it briefly. Kayakers do this to catch up to and surf breaking waves also. Interesting, but not planing.

I’m curious about the reference, i.e. author, title, year?

1 Like

Maybe a GPS speed plot and a description of the conditions at transition points can solve all this bickering. Subjective feelings of speed and acceleration are relatively meaningless.