Paddling with baby

At what age is it appropriate to paddle with an infant?

Whats the youngest you took your kids out in the boat and what did you do about a pfd?

I didn’t take my kids until they were able to sit by themselves, but I have a cousin who wants to involve her 4 month old and as the “expert” its up to me to find out how. So here I am asking the experts!!

Never put a 4 month old…
in the boat with you! Holy crap, if they can’t swim then they shouldn’t be in the water! So if they can swim, I’d say that is the “right age.”

If they have a PFD that fits
Then they can go out in a boat, no PFD no kid.

It doesn’t matter if they can swim, amny adults can’t, or do so poorly, but still enjoy being on the water. With a PFD that fits, child PFD usually have a crotch strap and are designed to keep the head above water - face up, the kid will be able to float pretty well. It’s also a good idea to get the kid used to floating in the water with the PFD on, this will help prevent panic if the kid knows he will float, and what it feels like.

The PFD is also not an option, the parents have to be very firm, no PFD, no going out in the boat.

Hold your cousin
underwater for 5 minutes then re-submit the question if you still find it necessary.

Paddlin’ on

Richard

Expert Qualifications
May or may not be readily apparent for Posters here…

If I paddled thousands of miles every year, it most likely would not have been with a four month old on board…

Paddling skill and proper child rearing are two different skill sets…

Appropriate experts to query are located at Child Services…

Able to sit up…
by themselves is a minimum standard in my mind for a canoe or kayak. On PDFs, one that fits properly, with a crotch strap, pad at the back of the neck to support the head, and grab handle is appropriate.

As a general rule, infants and children that may cry spontaniously for no particular reason should not be allowed near paddle craft, as the temptation to apply corporal punishment is too great with a paddle in hand.

-Father of a 4 year old and 4 month old (no, the 4 month old is no where near ready to be in a boat).

leob1…
why are you posting that.

Most 4 month olds do not have the neck strength to hold up their own heads for very long…

The only PFD’s on the market that would fit an infant are for small dogs…

If properly fitted such a device would tend to rotate the baby so that he/she was oriented face down in the water…

I love paddling as much as anyone but …

(don’t wish to) See You On The Water (with an infant),

Rob

Able to sit up by themselves…
is very vague and not a standard.

If the child can sit up by him/herself for one minute…

30 seconds…

10 seconds…

What…

WTF?

Someone, somewhere…
must make a PFD for an infant? However, simply putting an infant in cold/cool water would probably not take long before hypothermia started to take hold. Not worth the risk if you ask me. Find a babysitter!

Tom

Well as a father of…
A 12 year old, a 7 year old & a 2 yearr old… I can honestly say that my son didn’t even go out in a kayak alone till he was 6 & I would’ve never even THOUGHT of taking out my 2 year old till she was atleast 1 & even then, not till she was atleast compfortable in the boat around the shore.

Tell your friend to quit being so selfish!!! Yes, I said selfish. THEY had a child, THEY have to put their lifes on a temporary hold (or atleast a slow down) to provide for THEIR child. ESPECIALLY in the first 18 months. That child NEEDS them right now. Tell THEM to grow up accept responsibility and care for their child. If she wants to go paddle, then he should watch the child & vice-versa.

We didn’t even leave our youngest on an overnight with Grandpa & Grandma till she was 17 months. Even then, we left on a Saturday morning & biked till the following morning & met the Grandparents & baby around noon the next day for lunch and a ride back home.

Paddle easy,

Coffee

clarification

– Last Updated: Aug-28-08 10:49 AM EST –

I meant that the child should be able to sit up indefinitely. That probably doesn't happen until about one year old.

Also, the "minimum requirement" is also for minimum conditions: short paddles (less than 30 minutes) in completely calm conditions, in warm, shallow water, close to shore. Anything beyond that can require more strength, dexterity, and balance than most toddler's possess, let alone infants.

I will say that is reasonable and prudent to expose kids of all ages to the water and the outdoors in a responsible way. Our 4 year old was in the water (being held, of course) with us at 6 months, and taking the aforementioned boat trips with us at about 1 1/2. She has a healthy attitude towards water - she respects it, but doesn't fear it (except for the 4-6 foot Lake Michigan surf, which is definitely a good thing).

Being a parent means sacrificing some of the things you like to do for the benefit of you children. That is the trade-off (well worth it).

Copied from waterskiworld website…
“The Coast Guard recommends waiting until your baby is about 15 lbs before taking them on a boat, canoe, or any other watersport activity. Infants, by law, must have a properly fitted infant life jacket. Swim diapers or any other floatation devices are not compliant with the law and not safe for infants.

The Coast Guard recommends NOT strapping babies into a car seat in your boat or using any other non Coast Guard approved device. This makes sense because if the boat capsizes, you want everybody, including your infant, floating safely in the water with a life vest.”

The very thought of it still scares the crap outta me, but if you must…

Weigh the baby, if the heft feels the same as your favorite bowling ball, then by all means strap it in a PFD and take on off onto the water…

What’s the saying…

No use crying over spilled babies…

Coffee
Very well said!

PoconosDewey?

– Last Updated: Aug-28-08 11:06 AM EST –

You started the thread.

You said your cousin looked to you as the "expert."

What say you?
Are you following the thread?
Is baby "On Board"?

If this is a TROLL you are a sick mother...

If this is not a TROLL you are a sick mother...

Concerned,
Rob

Using the 15-pound standard

– Last Updated: Aug-28-08 11:01 AM EST –

an awful lot of 4 month olds are ready for the water. It may be appropriate for, say, a pontoon boat, but doesn't work for a canoe or kayak where your mobility is limited and your balance is important.

I am horrified by the implication in the CG statement that some people might be considering a swim daiper as a flotation device.

Thank you for clarifying…
and I will admit that 1&1/2 years is a world of difference from 4 month old.

I’m all for children learning to enjoy the water and paddle sports, but we must be reasonable and appropriate in our approach.

Yeah pontoon boat…
what scares me most about above quote…

“floating safely in the water in a PFD”…

Creates a false sense of security and completely ignores reality.

What about rocks, current, waves, wake, jetski’s, hungry pike, panicky adults, swimming dogs, cannonballing yahoos, THRASHING BABY SUDDENLY DUMPED INTO THE WATER?

How can they
learn to swim without getting in the water?

We started our kids when they were
over 18 months old. I’m grandfathering a kid who has just come through the 4 month range, and I would not want him in any boat with me, no matter how good the life jacket. At 4 months, he would be just a noise-making piece of luggage, not able to appreciate what is going on or to participate meaningfully in it. It’s not a developmentally appropriate activity, compared to many other ways one might be structuring the baby’s time.

Coffee; there are lots of things that
you say that I don’t agree with, but you are 100% right and on the money on this one!

cheers,

JackL