Pearls of Wisdom

Just curious about what life lessons or epiphanies anyone has gotten from paddling. There’s two that I can recall. Number 1 is “Loosen you sphincter”, which came about after focusing on covering mileage and not enjoying the paddle itself down scenic river, in other words, relax. Number 2 would be “Bitching doesn’t Help”, a lesson learned after having to fight wind and waves crossing a large bay. Feel free to share your own.

1 Like

“Line it up & go or Pick it up and walk. It’s all good.” That is, evaluate a rapid or a situation, make a decision on the information that you have, and implement the decision. If it doesn’t workout like you expected, don’t whine that you wished that you had done something else. Figure out what you missed or did incorrectly & fix it the next time.

1 Like

Pick good paddling partners.
I’ve picked several here I’ll probably never meet but I enjoy keeping up with you.

6 Likes

Enjoy it because it doesn’t get easier.

Sure it does you get better. :laughing:

1 Like

Paddling philosophy

2 Likes

Agree PaddleDog52. Its all good. Making progress mean pushing past that threshold. The harder you push thegreater the progress. I just pushed pass my last year high point.

1 Like

Some folks find it way more difficult to get out of their comfort zone than others.

1 Like

The best way to get back to the comfort zone when a trip seems to drag, is to paddle harder. Its amazing how quickly a distant desination approaches when you increase your speed by just a half mph. Its psychological, but it works. Very satisfying getting back to the comfort zone, because it feels learned.

1 Like

I get faster on the return if it’s less than 3 hr paddle. You know how much energy you can dump going back depending on the conditions. Don’t leave you take empty you make need to do a reentry and it’s harder exhausted but then you still have an adrenaline boost hopefully.

Nice. Fleetwood Mac… You’re showing your age.

sing

A Stevie Nicks fan.

3 Likes

Now in my 80s and having paddled kayaks for 38 years I’ve found that shorter, lighter boats are every bit as enjoyable as the long, swift kayaks and surf skis that I once paddled. As for you young bucks who scoff at this, just remember: What you are, I once was. What I am, you will become😊.

5 Likes

Maybe not tomorrow is only a dream or hope today.

There is joy and wonder to be found paddling through this world. There are hazards that must sometimes be overcome or avoided along the way, and they add to the experience of accomplishment. Sometimes the more challenging paddles are the most cherished ones, and the ones that teach us most. Too share it with close friends adds cement to those bonds.

1 Like

agree.
I’ve got a few kayaks, the shortest one being 14’, a TPB Petrel Play - my most recent acquisition (the others being 16’ to 17’).
Since getting it over 2 years ago, it is still getting the most mileage per month over any of the others.
Short and light (30lbs) it’s easy to carry it to the put-in and back easily. (1/4 mile round trip)

3 Likes

Enjoy the moment as much as the destination.

Too many people go out with destinationitis . The journey there is also good, and if you do have to abort you have still had a good paddle.

5 Likes

IF they are lucky.

There have been so many.
Two big topics. People and Paddling.
Paddling partners need to help out, not do drugs and alcohol on the river, not be whiners, and get along with others.
Paddling means not over exposing people, waiting out storms, choosing the right rivers and lakes, and never “having to get home tonight.”

3 Likes

Definitely the moment.

Don’t bonk until you are done, but make every outing go a bit further. Paddling is only an exercise if you push it.

Look for your God in every paddle, but open yourself to let Her find you. Only She can give you that Ultimate nod.

1 Like