pintail vs avocet

Tempest Aggression???
I agree with Jim on the above. Having had a TempestPRO165 in the family fleet – it was my husband’s second boat after the CD Slipstream – he found it resembled my Romany and ExplorerLVs for ease of use and reassurance in bumps and surf.

While the Avocet closely resembles the Romany as far as being a “beginner” boat (a term I find a bit unfair as I don’t have enough fingers and toes to name the number of instructors and advanced paddlers who wouldn’t give up their “Beginner boat” Romanys, Explorers and Avocets if you paid them.), it’s a bit livelier in current and surf, as is my AvocetLV.

He now has an old (1992) Pintail, an Avocet and a CetusLV. All three boats are a lot more fun to paddle and are of a higher build quality than his 2004, since been sold, Tempest.

same here
I thought it was boring also.

:wink:

we could be polite
and use Jim’s term “reassuring”

Or “a boat that will take care of you”

Slushpaddler, I know what you mean '-)

instructors use them (Avocets, Romany’s, Explorers)in large part because they are stable platforms during rescues, quick enough to get to students, and easy boats to demonstrate strokes, rolls, etc.

And also because many of them learned from and were influenced by instructors who used Avocets, Romanys and Explorers.

Instructors, and paddlers beyond beginner status, have the skills and know how to get the most out of these boats… they do indeed like them. Meanwhile beginners can use them and enjoy them, which keeps engaged in the sport - I call that a good thing.

for sure

– Last Updated: Aug-03-10 3:20 PM EST –

It's nice to try out different kayaks. After leaning how to balance brace on a NordLV it was so easy on a Temp or Explorer. I also liked how far over on edge the Temp and Explr would go and sitting on the back deck is a breeze. They are probably better all around kayaks for most people. I like the hull design of the Temp over the Explorer, as the Explorer didn't respond well to a static sweep in to the wind. While the hatches falling off the Temp all the time, and awkwardness to reach way back to attach the spray skirt gets old. And, after a while I really miss my NordLV and the others seem a bit boring. As you pointed out, more advanced kayakers than myself appreciate the extra stability in rough conditions, but there are a lot of people including instructors who can only paddle something like an Explorer, and don't make good dance partners from what I hear. ;)

oh yes - you and yakwise are right
I recently sold an explorer and now that it’s gone, I miss it, mostly on trips.

One good thing about the Tempest is that it’s taken a proper sea kayaking design closer to the “mainstream” than anyone has done in the past (here in the U.S.). That has to be good.

“I call that a good thing” -friendlyfire
Yes, indeed. There are many boats that are comfortable for beginners and novices that do not support skills development and more adventuresome safe paddling. There have always been a number of boats that perform well and comfortably for advanced paddlers in challenging conditions but are discouraging for beginners or novices.

The real genius of boats such as the Romany, Tempest, Explorer, Avocet, Chatham, etc… is that they are confidence inspiring for novices, yet respond well to advancing skills and perform admirably in conditions.

Even if I were to stop paddling the Romany, I would keep it as a guest boat and one for instruction. Besides, though I love my Nordlow, there are times I am very grateful to have my Romany or Aquanaut for myself.

pintail and elsewhere
i had no problems whatsoever in a nordkapp. Like mr osbourne said about black sabbath reunion, “its like putting on an old shoe” i felt just at ease in the rotonordkapp at once.very reassuring. and smooth. i feel i can make really agressive moves with the T165. its a fairly low volume. its perfect for me. i tie the hatches down with rope in the grovves. that works. i like the way the tempests dances from side to side…

NIce photos of the 20knots,by the way…to go out in a BF 8 ill do it in some place sheltered or semisheltered.

where was those photoes taken…?

why i didnt try the pinny? well , noone seems to have one over here. certainly not the shops…so…i kind of felt in love a few years a go, and now i just DO IT. by the damned thing and check it out…the kayaks are my teachers. i paddled i qaanaaq512 for a year. that was a pretty manouvreble thing, but i felt it a bit to tiny for the ocean…i love my new Zephyr155…superresposive and smooth, a touch of valleyfeel in there…

tempest nordkapp?

– Last Updated: Aug-03-10 9:45 PM EST –

but if i had to make a choice between a nordkapp and a tempest 165 in rough weather, ill take the T165, not a doubt! the t165 is extremely good in high wind..hehe, but thats me. highly subjective as most stuff i guess, when push comes to shove...

climate
Those pictures were taken last Fall at Folly Beach, South Carolina, which is about 10 miles from where I live. We were tempted to keep going to a sand bar at the mouth of an inlet but decided not to push it that day. We landed through the surf zone and were glad to make it back without incident.

By chance two of us were paddling NordLVs that day.

I don’t consider the Temp or Exp a beginner kayak. I would consider any kayak 16’-17’ and 22’’ wide an intermediate to advanced. Some other outfitters in our area couldn’t believe we put beginners in Temps, although most people get the hang of it real fast.

My first kayak was a Capella and the next was a Valley Q boat and I had to learn to brace real fast. I got the Nord LV to improve my bracing and such and have really grown into it.

I get a lot of practice rolling and such in warm water. I also paddle in the winter but that’s still nothing compared to Denmark and such. If I get a better paying job I’d like to travel more and kayak new places.

I did test paddle mine on a lake and had I tested it in conditions I probably wouldn’t have bought it. I’m glad I did though. I’ve had good training after starting on my own so have developed good techniques.

If I get a better job I’ll be getting another kayak for camping and such, but I’ll be working all the time so won’t be able to have any fun.

Great thread!

thanks

– Last Updated: Aug-04-10 7:39 PM EST –

thanks to somebody...sorry, salty an my harch reaction. its certainly nothing personal..Im not trying to be an expert. im a very curious student.
but i have worked 15years in the flyfishing buissness as caster, teacher, rod designer, reviews and articles. I wish sometimes one could try to be more spesific on WHAT is it that makes one boat to some thing else. or what exatly is it designwise that makes very many find valley kayaks the best..im not saying that the tempest is better than a nordkapp..i just find the study of kayaks is very interesting..this or that boat is boring is not very useful information.it propably says more about the driver..hehe
in norway british boats are very hot...so i try to make more people see that T and Z boats are cool too.
besides ive gotten a deep respect for steve sherrer. as he propably knows by now..