Place for winter stay of about 3 months

Thanks for all the suggestions
Should be able to work something out in one of those places, given the amount of lead time. I do get nervous because some folks reserve places a year in advance and because I’m trying to get a large block of rental time.

Some really good suggestions here
Some really good suggestions here.

If it was me, and it’s not, I would break it up to stay at least two places.

Top two places would be Swansboro / Emerald Isle and Tybee Island.

Both have very good paddling with a variety of conditions.

You should be able to get a place on the water at both.

It’s going to be off-season - Lower prices and greater availability.

Both also offer lots of good day trips where you can throw the boat on the car and see new and different places.

Both have excellent kayak shops.

In Swansboro you definitely want to arrange to paddle with Lamar at Barrier Island Kayak.

On Tybee I would take a day or two for canoeing with Ronnie at Sea Kayak Georgia / CanoeCanoe. Let him show you some of the great flatwater rivers.

Also on Tybee, if you want to do some longer trip / camping down the Ga coast – arrange it with Ronnie and/or Steve Braden.

And for a special treat I would contact Swedge on p-net and see if he would take me to Sparkleberry Swamp on the trip between Swansboro and Tybee, - A small detour, but you may never get another chance.

For water temperatures:

http://www.nodc.noaa.gov/dsdt/cwtg/satl.html

Use Cape Hatteras and Savannah Beach

http://www.barrierislandkayaks.com

http://www.seakayakgeorgia.com

http://www.canoecanoe.com/

The folks at the shops can direct you to rental folks.

Y’all come on over here now.

Cedar Key FL has
great paddling. Like old time FL and you don’t get the beach crowd as there is no beach. Lots of National Wildlife preserve though.

Second Baja
I know it’s probably too far but Gini Calahan now has real kayaks and runs tours & training there. She is an amazing teacher and knows some great surf locations (from the pictures and descriptions, anyway). I think you would have a blast.

Baja
Having lived on both coast, I’ll take the west coast any day!

So if I were located in the middle of the country, I’d go west.

Baja isn’t too expensive at all. And you can definitely drive down with all your gears and boat(s). A lot of Californian paddlers do that. So it’s not like you’re going into totally unknown territory. (though unknown to you at the begining) There’re definitely a lot of differences on how life is down there. But if it were me, I would consider that an added benefit to see a different life style…

Great info
In fact, I am considering splitting my time between two places. Still finding out about range of paddling venues and likelihood of reasonably-priced long-term rental homes.

Thanks for the links! Regardless where I go, I am looking forward to continuing my paddling season well beyond the normal close, and in the ocean specifically.

Not looking for a guided tour

– Last Updated: Jul-26-10 9:36 PM EST –

Mainly I would like lots of focused practice time and good venues, though I do plan to get some instruction as well.

Baja is beautiful and the drive would only be a little farther than going to Georgia or Carolinas (though probably take a much longer time due to road conditions). But I plan to drive down alone and corrupt Mexican police are not something I want to deal with. Also not interested in doing a group camping trip this time, as that could greatly detract from the "focused practice time".

I did hear a very negative account of someone's daughter going for such a guided group camping/training trip in Baja. The other participants had overrated their skills (i.e.., lied to the outfitter) to the point that they never left a sheltered bay. She spent a lot of $$$ to be disappointed.

Beautiful place
But no surf there.

I wouldn’t worry about getting a place
on the NC or SC coast during the winter months . It is not like south Florida where they are pretty much reserved way in advance.

You would have a problem in late fall when the fishermen flock to the beaches for the fall fish migration, but for the rest of the winter you would have your pick of places.

Jack L

Georgia Vs the Carolinas
For what it is worth:

the Georgia water is not nearly as clear as the NC water, and the SC water is clearer than Georgia but still not as clear as NC. I have been to them all many times.

The reason is the Okeefeenokee and many swamps drain into the coast via the St. Marys river in Florida, and many other coastal swamps, clouding up the water. The current then carries it north and it slowly filters out. By the time it reaches NC and especially the outer banks and virginia it is very clear

The water at the “Golden Isles” area of Georgia is reddish and not clear at all.

Jack L

Thanks, Jack
Clear water is more appealing, and it heats up more quickly in the sun–something that’d be nice in winter.

Then again, farther north = colder temps.

Both areas still sound wonderful.

don’t rule Cali out
I know here on Monterey Bay you can basically choose your level. Just start north in Santa Cruz or south in Monterey and work towards the middle. There are plenty of places to surf, not all overrun by surf boarders – Casa Verde, Moss Landing, Davenport. There must be more than that. Or head south for warmer waters.

Geez…
“Not looking for guided tours

Mainly I would like lots of focused practice time and good venues, though I do plan to get some instruction as well.

Baja is beautiful and the drive would only be a little farther than going to Georgia or Carolinas (though probably take a much longer time due to road conditions). But I plan to drive down alone and corrupt Mexican police are not something I want to deal with. Also not interested in doing a group camping trip this time, as that could greatly detract from the “focused practice time”.”

You’re going down for several MONTHS, possibly taking some instruction, but you’re ruling out a WEEK or two of either outfitters trip or group camping trips?

Both are excellent source of pratical information of a relatively lessor known area, with great paddling opportunity at not too high a cost!

Plenty of paddlers (and non-paddling Americans) had stay down in some part of Baja for long period of time safe and sound. Not all of them are men either. I wonder how they got started…

That’s encouraging
Though I probably won’t go there this time, it’s on my list of places to paddle someday. Thanks for a bright note in the many negative comments about crowding and hostility.

Your dream trip
If that’s what it is, go for it.

I’m happy to travel as a lone female…but not in Baja.

I stopped by Casa Verde on my way home
today. Just because. Got out and walked around. It was pretty flat, still there were surfers out. But what you do is drag your boat just far enough down beach to get out of their line up, then paddle out and go right or left. All you have to do is choose another spot away from the crowd. When it’s a point break I can imagine there’s a lot of competition for the same real estate. But when it’s a beach break, it’s pretty much all the same.

Fair enough
I suggested Gini because she is a superb instructor (BCU) who is trying to fill the niche of training and trips in a fantastic location. For instance she runs a 20 day training/expedition for skilled open water paddlers with crossings up to 15 miles. Uses Nigel Dennis kayaks.

In any case, if you were heading down there she would be a good contact, and her website is worth a look if only for day-dreaming. http://www.seakayakbajamex.com/

Check out Flordia Keys
Where ever you decide on, negotiate the monthly rate. In case you havent noticed the economy isnt that great. You will be surprised at the price. Lot of empty units everywhere.

Cape Cod in the fall is great

– Last Updated: Jul-26-10 3:01 PM EST –

Since you are thinking of two places - Oct-Nov are great for surfing and general paddling on Cape Cod. Board surfers are concentrated in only one or two breaks, and there are lots of other kayak-accessible places where there is never anyone else. Along park coastline, you can paddle all day and see only a few people walking on the shore, maybe a couple of fishing boats. There's reasonable surf to play around in maybe 25-30% of the time. The water is still pretty warm until Nov. However, after mid-Dec, it's below freezing most days and it can be a little raw if there's a good wind. When it's too calm for surfing, there are lots of interesting places to go -Monomoy Island, Elizabeth Islands, Martha's Vineyard, Nantucket (30 mile crossing, can return by ferry or stay at a B&B).

The only surf in the Florida Keys is out
at the end of the Mud Keys and Snipe Point. You would be all worn out after the eight mile paddle to get to it, and if a water front place was affordable, I would be the first to get it, (think big bucks !)

Jack L