Place for winter stay of about 3 months

Yeah
Shackleford Banks and Core Banks for overnight trips.

Mendocino County CA
The water is very 50 all year. There is only one board surfing spot. The Sea Caves at Van Dam are awesome!

Agree
If I were going to spend the time in Baja, I’d definitely look for some training with Gini. Would probably give her the 3rd-degree grill and expect similar from her, to maximize chances of a good session for all.

I’ve also heard good things about the tours and training that Aqua Adventures does in Baja.

There you go
Buy a repossessed house in San Diego for next to nothing and train with Jen:-)

Not all of California is out of the
question. I live in Arcata, home of Kokatat. Long boat surfing is popular here, board surfers are relatively few, rock gardening is fabulous and rents are relatively low (by California standards, anyway). The ocean is a balmy 54 degrees most of the year, maybe gets to 48 degrees in the dark of winter. And it’s “off-season” pretty much all year round. And there’s a pretty active local group of ocean kayakers.

Citrus County Florida
http://www.bocc.citrus.fl.us/visiting.htm

Has river,lake & sea paddling.

Sounds good
Leaning heavily towards a southern trip this time, but northern CA is on my list of must-paddle areas. I would’ve thought it was crowded at least in summer. Hey, it might make a good summer road trip; I could paddle at Tahoe on the way back, too.