Pretty Pictures - Just Pretty Pictures

Picture didn’t load on last post.

2 Likes

6 Likes

What passes for a “beach” near Quineex. “Quin-e-ex” is a First Nations Reserve and the site of an abandoned Kyuquot fishing village ~1/2 mile from Clerke Point on the Brooks Peninsula.

50 05’02.74”N 127 47’15.32”W

10 Likes

Fun day playing hooky from work with some old friends who were in town - they were taking a day to recuperate after a week of Disney Workd chaos. We had been wanting to paddle Weeki Wachee together for years and we got a perfect day! That’s me in the red Gemini.

7 Likes

Awhile, check that water.

Dawn patrol on Kachemak Bay

3 Likes

Last weekend out in Lake George, CO (11 Mile Res)

@mickp, never saw a log jam like that before. More like a garbage jam. Thought things like that only happened in 3rd world countries. What gives?

I see that on the undammed creeks/ small rivers that have head waters in metro areas. It’s not uncommon to have floating garbage get caught in sweepers. I have done some clean up runs down a coupe rivers here in SC.

1 Like

Ievburg…you need to paddle more around metro areas. The logs…high rain drops trees and they collect. Trash comes off of roads. Drivers are real litter spreaders.

We often can collect enough in one trip to fill a canoe from a small group of cattails near the house.

We’ve seen trash on logs like that in different places. The one that comes to mind was at a cow pasture on a creek next to a COE camp ground near Montgomery, Al. I got pictures somewhere.

We have a river clean up on the one that runs through town. Dump truck load.

Our roadways aren’t pristine but that photo makes me appreciate Michigan’s bottle return law more than ever. I usually pick up one or two pieces of garbage on each trip but there is very little trash even in Ypsi and Ann Arbor or downriver from Detroit. Well, maybe there is blows to the Canadian side.

Plenty of downed trees here although it is finally lightening up a bit - after 15 years most of Michigan’s tens of millions of emerald ash borer victims are done falling.

A tiny creek off a manic lake.

2 Likes

These areas are “rural”, which means that in places there are people’s houses backing to the river and in come cases, parks. I do notice a fairly big proportion of sports gear mixed in, soccer balls etc, along with all the “disposable” plastic. I guess the good news is that once you get past it, you tend not to see much more downstream!
This was further downstream, and fortunately there was clear passage off to the right. Not much trash! Sorry, another ugly picture…let’s return to the previously scheduled programming.

P9270045

1 Like

I never get tired of palm trees. Rattlesnake Key near Emerson Point Preserve, Palmetto FL.

3 Likes

The river where trash is the worse has no development over the majority of it’s length except at it’s head waters. I jokingly call it the River of Balls for the numerous ball of all sizes and sports found in the debris collected in sweepers and log jams.

Things that float left out in the yard will and do float into ditches when heavy rain causes water to sheet the ground temporarily deep enough to float i.t With a bit of wind off it goes. Over time I found 3 closed cell foam panels that are 3" thick and 3’X4’ caught in the trees far down river.

Big floods that go over the banks tends to remove lots of trash off the river and into the adjoining woods. On rivers below dams I see a lot less trash than on undammed rivers. on larger rivers the trash just goes on by and ends up in the ocean where it is less visible.

A few photos of a clean up with a friend a few years ago.

If you notice there are multiple balls in the trash photos, and most of the river is wild not urban. I count 4 balls in the second photo, and 7 balls in the 3rd photo. The fact that balls aren’t often thrown away out a car window leads me to believe much of this stuff came from back yards in the upstate. Of course plastic bottles are the most common form of trash, and are thrown out car windows.

Not long after these photos the river flooded and blew out the major log jams. The river looked much better, but on a trip a couple of weeks ago there are some new jams with trash building up.

East Inlet, Pittsburg, NH is one of favorite places to paddle.

5 Likes

Looks like Brown tract into raquette lake. I caught a monster brook trout once in Pittsburg… hit a moose the same day

2 Likes

Between the storms: Glen Lake, Michigan

8 Likes