Pretty Pictures - Just Pretty Pictures

Not necessarily the prettiest picture. But I’m excited to get back on the water after a several month hiatus. I didn’t have a backup plan when I won my lemon law case involving the only car I owned that could fit racks.

3 Likes

Upper Susquehanna, below Cooperstown. Scouting run for the Clinton 70 tomm

2 Likes

Is that part of the course?

Yes this is the bottom of a shortcut in the upper river between Cooperstown and index

Looks like a choke point in a race.

1 Like

Main river is very tight there,but I’m in the shortcut which cuts off an oxbow and saves about 10 seconds if done correctly…. Here’s the net result of a good scouting run: 1st place

7 Likes

Cool, but another thing to find a place for.

Indeed… the object sits far behind the glory of the accomplishment

WW-1 ghost fleet, Widewater, VA, (just south of Quantico) with the soon to be new boat ramp in the background. Most of the ghost fleet is in Mallows Bay MD with just a few of them remaining on the VA side of the Potomac.

6 Likes

What’s the story there?

There is a lot written about the ghost fleet now that it is listed as a marine santuary. The short version is WW 1 surplus wood ships that mostly were not used. Ran ground to salvage the steel and the wood hulls burnt. High tide put the fires out. Now 100 years later an interesting place to see history. Lots of disclaimer about the risks of steel rods and rotting wood. The Maryland side has a steel ship still there. Mallows Bay-Potomac River National Marine Sanctuary - Chesapeake Conservancy

3 Likes

Thanks! That’s interesting. I’ll read up more on that.

Try Discovery channel or Science Channel. One of 'em had a show on it.

1 Like

I’m going to break the “rules” and post a pretty video.

Corkers Creek, Shad Landing in Snow Hill MD. It’s a side shoot creek off the main channel that’s a nice patch of flat water with tons of wildlife to watch. Think Deliverance but without the LEOs. This stretch of the Pokomoke didn’t have snakes dropping out of the trees. That was refreshing! The Pokomoke is tidal so we only got to the bridge both times. Much too tight of a squeeze for my liking. I suppose if you’re limber enough and tide is low enough you could get under it. We chose not to.

6 Likes

Boy and dog.

9 Likes

I see honey wants to join Nathan. Did you get that from Lisa today? I spent the day sailing with a friend on his boat.

Yes. I thought Nathan might not like it based on what I’d read here and elsewhere about the difference between it and a Tempest but he took to it immediately.

1 Like

A relatively placid stretch of the Pine River last week in Manistee National Forest. Surprisingly few mosquitoes, and the week after Memorial Day was not crowded at all.

5 Likes

Genesee River Letchworth State Park NY

6 Likes

ByersLake Denali State Park

4 Likes