Pretty Pictures - Just Pretty Pictures

This is my first post here. I learned to paddle a kayak in my 20’s back in the late 90’s but drifted away from the water in favor of mountain bikes for the ensuing 25ish years. Recently, my girlfriend & I became more interested in kayaking & invested in a couple of used Tempest 165’s that will undoubtedly suit our needs for years to come. We are planning to take seek out instruction & once we are ready, paddle camp off the coast of Maine.

Another of my hobbies is photography so I got myself a reasonably sized deck bag & headed out to Somerset Reservoir in Southern VT this past Sunday. As set off from shore, the strong winds were blowing waves over the coaming & into the boat before I could get the skirt in place! I apddled to more sheltered water & was able to get a couple of good loon photos despite not having a long “birding” lens. It was a beautiful day & I was also able to get a nice shot of Stratton & made a pano viewing upstream from the landing area as I finished my day. Hope you enjoy the photos.

14 Likes

Welcome, nice pictures. What camera did you use?

2 Likes

Sunrise from the Pisgah Inn on the Blue Ridge Parkway this morning.

4 Likes

Thank you, I appreciate it! I used a Nikon D810 with a first gen Tamron 70-200 f2.8 lens for all of these.

1 Like

It was just spectacular today. Coolish (for Florida), sunny, nice breeze. 13.6 miles around Three Rooker Bar from the Dunedin Causeway.

3 Likes

Enjoying the autumn. Winter comes in a few days

5 Likes

Moose swimming across the lake as we were getting ready to paddle

5 Likes

No stopping Paris winter or not. :laughing:

And her Chauffeur!

Spent a good chunk of the day on Somerset in VT again yesterday. Wind was brutal so I sought shelter from it as often as I could.

5 Likes

In 2018 I met Nick Walton in Grayling to pick up this beautiful Tim Fisk paddle, the best I’ve ever owned. Nick was a inspiration to anyone who knew him, simply the best. rip Nick

3 Likes

Lake Fontana NC - Cable Cove to Eagle Creek Area

7 Likes

Lake Fontana NC - Cable Cove and Eagle Creek Area II

7 Likes

6 Likes

Welcome kndub! You’ll like it here, and there’s always room for more gorgeous pictures.

2 Likes

:kissing_heart: Paris

1 Like

We paddled Hartwell this morning. A few reds and the gold’s aren’t much. I’ve paddled where you were and I’m shocked at the low lake level.

Fontana draws down, every fall. They still have ~20-30 ft to go, from what I was told. They draw it down for dam maintenance, and prepare for snow run off in the spring. Typically it is full again, by April or May.

I have hiked the trails along Fontana in the winter and it is much lower than that in January

1 Like

5 Likes