Pretty Pictures - Just Pretty Pictures

Maryland’s Rhode River - November 2022

We had a few very unseasonable 70F degree days in early November. Warm temps, coupled with the seasonal change of color, made for some scenic Maryland paddling.

1 Like

Pelican Island, located just off of Harkers Island NC.

7 Likes

Core Sound is home to lots of Cannon Ball Jelly Fish

First time spotting this style of jelly fish, in Core Sound NC.

6 Likes

Shackleford Banks wild horses. ~ 125 horses are scattered around the island.

7 Likes

Cool! That’s actually a ctenophore, not a true jellyfish. They don’t sting. This is Beroe ovata, they are common along the Atlantic coast but tend to show up sporadically. The other common ctenophore is Mnemiopsis leidyi. I think they both look like little spaceships!

4 Likes

How do they taste?

Saltwater jello. I had a student eat one in a lab once, seriously. They are totally harmless, but I don’t recommend eating them!

A couple of nice paddles this weekend. Friday at the Rainbow River with another Watertriber, and Saturday around Shell Key Preserve and Tierra Verde. Ramping up mileage (and gym workouts) for the Everglades Challenge now - just over 100 days away!

7 Likes

Probably taste a bit like Moose Nose Jelly, but mote fishy than gamey.

I have a nice recipe for jellyfish, if you want to give it a try. I made for a thanksgiving meal once. Does not really taste fishy but it has a nice crunchy texture.

Yep. You are correct. I have a friend; who is a retired biologist and master diver, tell me basically the same thing. I had no clue.

Yikes.

Too early?

10 Likes

When Paris was young

6 Likes

:nauseated_face::face_vomiting:. . . .

Sea turtles find them quite tasty.

She’s still young. All dogs are puppies forever.

2 Likes

This is our winter work out place, Eklutna Tailrace. It stays open year round as water is discharged from a power plant. It’s a very popular place for photography as well. Someone captured me taking a photo of Paris.

8 Likes