Pungo..The Final Analysis?

In the final analysis is there REALLY a big difference between the 120 and 140, from a handling, and speed standpoint.

Here’s my problem.

I can travel five miles from my house and purchase a 120 from a small sailboat / kayak dealer. He has no 140’s, he could order one for me of course, except I don’t do the “wait thing” too well.

On the other hand I can drive 60 miles and buy a 140 from a dealer who has one in stock.

Is there really that much difference in the two yaks? I note that the 120 is 29 inches wide and the 140 is only 28 inches wide. Does that one inch make a big difference? ( I already have a Perception Sundance with a 27.50 width )

The Pungo will probably be used for fishing 60% of the time, and short, one to two hour tours the other 40% of the time.

Help!!

All I can say is…
… 60 miles [140!] is a damn short ride to pick up a boat [140!]!

Something [140!] tells me you want the 140. I haven’t paddled either - as they don’t fit my need - so can’t comment other than to say my 16’ SOT was lot better than my 9’ inflatable [14!]. My 18’ seakayak better still [140!]. Now my shortest is 16’ x 20" [140!], my longest is 21’ x 18" [140!], my favorite is 18’ x 21" [140!]. Obviously I favor longer boats [140!] (and efficiency/speed/doing more distance [140!]) - so don’t let me bias you from my rather limited prespective [140!]!

Someplaces, shorter is better - but you’ll quickly adapt to any difernce between 12 or 14 [140!]. At 1" narrower - the 2’ longer boat [140!] should still be more stable [140!] - and handle chop a little better [140!].

Don’t these places offer demos?

[Bracketed comments courtesy of subliminal guy - and do not represent the official position of the poster]

Greyak,I wonder why
when [you need a new boat]you haven’t paddled a Pungo[a black one]how you can comment[Epic]on the[to match your paddle]differences… :wink:

He did it again!

New boat?
Hey! I don’t need to buy a new boat [V10]! I can’t paddle the ones I have! Nobody makes anything I want [V10, Rock Hopper RH340] and my next will have to be my own design [no place to build]. Black is cool though [but not in S FL!].

Get the 140 if…
you want better speed. A freind of mine bought a 120 when I bought my 140. He now wishes he bought the 140. He has trouble keeping up with me and would like the extra room for camping.

I paddled both…
I’m new to kayaking so I’m no expert. I paddled the 120 and the 140 last weekend. The wind was blowing between 15-20 mph and the lake was choppy. Both boats did great but the 140 was super stable and handled the chop better IMHO. If you plan on fishing from it I’d say the 140 is a no brainer because you’ll have some extra room for gear. I still like my America 13.5 over both the Pungos though. I think the blue that the pungos come in is pretty cool. hth.

Necky Santa Cruz
Now I’ll really confuse you. I fish from a yak all the time . I considered a Pungo until I tried the Necky Santa Cruz very fast and stable fishing yak. But if I were you I would get the longer yak you won’t be sorry. The added speed will help you get back in quicker from a day’s fishing. FishHawk

More confusion
Check out the new Old Town Dirigo 140.

I know you didn’t ask, but . . .
test drive a Necky Manitou before you buy the Pungo. I do mainly fishing, but also do some short touring. I tried both Pungos before buying the Manitou. The Pungos felt like I was maneuvering a tank compared to the handling of the Manitou. The Manitou is stable enough for fishing, but is (IMHO) much more responsive and cuts though chop, current and wind easily. I recently had mine out in the Gulf in 2-3 foot seas. It was exhilirating, but I never felt out of control.

worth nothing…
I’m also fond of the Manitou (bought one for my kids to paddle), and think it’s more versatile as an allround light touring boat, but it might not be as useful as a dedicated fishing kayak as either of the Pungos, simply because of the narrower beam and smaller cockpit opening.

Between the 120 and the 140, the 140 has much higher volume along with the longer length, and will be more efficient as well as more initially stable for anchor & cast situations. But if you’re just going to be paddling short distances or only on smaller lakes (and don’t weigh over 200 pounds), the 120 would also be acceptable. There’s only a $100 price difference between them so if you CAN get the 140, I would (and if you can get the Angler versions, you’ll find that it’s cheaper than buying a stock 140 or 120 and adding the rod holders, etc, ala carte).

How long is the Sundance?
Why get a Pungo if you have a Sundance? They aren’t all that diffrent, although the sundance should have better initial stability. Unless the Pungo was longer , why get it? Do you not like the Sundance? Just asking, not trying to be a pain in the @$$.

I paddled both…
Why do you prefer the America 13.5 over a Pungo? While I do like my Sundance I do feel the “weak link” in that boat is the seat. I assume ( I could be wrong ) that the America has the same seat style as the Sundance.

Why both?
I want two yaks so I can take a partner along. So I want something similiar,yet I thought I’d try something a bit different. Hoping for a seat improvement on the Pungo.

I did paddle the OT Dirigo. I was a bit disappointed. Smaller cockpit won’t lend itself to fishing as well as the larger cockpit on the Pungo and Sundance. The Dirigo “skinny’s up” fairly quickly at the front of the cockpit. Not as easy to get in and out of as the other two. Also the seat adjustment leaves a bit to be desired. Outside the cockpit on the hull are some screw type adjusters that let you adjust the recline of the seat back. However in order to adjust the tilt on the seat base, you need to be out of the kayak. They may say it’s adjustable while in the yak, I don’t know, but for all practical purposes you need to be out of the yak.

So,I’m leaning toward the Pungo. Unless anyone has any comments on the Liquidlogic Stingray.

Because…
I’m gonna be screwed no matter what seat is in a yak unless it’s a plush Lazy Boy recliner:-) I cant sit in one position for too long or my back will start to hurt. IMHO there wasnt any difference between the Pungos phase 3 seat and the America 13.5 seat. Everyone is different though

Depends on where you’re paddling
If you’re going to be paddling very tightly constrained places, then the 120 or even the 100 would be better.

If you’re not so tightly constrained, then either the 120 or 140 will work for you. I know folks who fish from both (average width - over 50 ft so plenty big enough for any length kayak but not Mississippi big) and like them.

If it were me, and this were my only kayak, I’d probably go with a 140 for the additional speed and room. But that’s just me. Maybe you like other stuff.

If I were buying for myself with the boats I already have, and had to buy another Sit-in-Kayak, I’d probably get the Pamlico 100 over either of those, but if I had to get a Pungo, it’d be the 100 because I already have 12’ and 13’6" recreationals.

• Big D

ok, I paddle a
9’ Sundance and a friend owns a Pungo 140. I have found the Pungo excels in deeper water ,lakes ect. , while the Sundance works best in shallow areas, twisting narrow streams ect.

Paddling ease?
Ok the consensus seems to be that the 140 is faster than the 120. Does this extra speed come at a sacrifice in paddling ease? Does the 120 paddle “easiler” than the 140? To me ease of paddling is more important than speed.

Sorry for all of the questions…

Also. I do paddle several rivers that are “small”, 50 feet or less and a bit twisty. One poster touched on that.Would this make a difference?

What does ‘easy paddling’ mean?
They’ll paddle the same. There’s only one difference in width and they have the same hull design.

If you were to do the exact same sweep stroke, with the exact same body motions in both of them, the 120 will come about more. So, the 120 is a BIT more maneuverable. If you’re a new paddler, frankly probably not enough of a difference to notice.

If you were to put exactly the same force with the same effort (strength expended) in both boats, the 140 will move farther than the 120. It will also glide farther after the stroke effort. This is called ‘faster’, because a given stroke with a given level of force takes a given amount of time, and the longer boat will get more distance forward from the force of that stroke, it will move farther in the same period of time, i.e. ‘faster.’ For once, the word means exactly what the word means in English and is not a paddling specialty term.

So, that’s that. Take it for what it’s worth and decide what ‘easier paddling’ means to you. Faster, or more maneuverable. If faster, then the 140 is ‘easier’, if you mean more maneuverable, then the 120 is ‘easier.’

Really, you’re beating yourself up too much trying to figure out the perfect boat. The perfect boat doesn’t exist. Both Pungo models are terrific recreational boats. Get one and enjoy it. You won’t be sorry.

• Big D

That answers it!!!
“more maneuverable”… That’s more important to me. I need a boat that will snake the small rivers and glide to this patch of lily pads and then that patch of reeds easily. Much more important to me than distance capacity…at least this year.

My Sundance 12 does this just great. I’m sure the Pungo 120 will do the same.

Thanks

okay okay okay
personally I would go with the 140, but look into the Victory Navigator (12’). The navigator is what I used to have (when it was called a “classic 12”). I enjoyed fishing out of it, it handles well, and is very comfortable. I have heard a rumor that it is an old WS mold, but i am not certain. I don’t know if a Dick’s is within this 60 mile radius, but if there is, go sit in one.

[140]

Liveoutside