Question for the P'.N' forum members.

Bluegill and perch
I loved catching these fish on the fly when I lived in Texas. Surprised me this summer when I caught monster sized buegill all August long when they moved into the shallows. Much fun. Vacillating on my boats again, now in love with my Loon 138 and the canoes sit idle. Chacos, huh? I’m a Teva man myself and they make excellent wading sandals(with neoprene socks) for these cold northern streams. Aww, man some cutthroats would be sweet. Not only that but you’ve got rainbows as well. No 'bows this far north, down state there are, but I’m not heading that way. Up here it’s all brookies, splakes, salmon and lakers. All of 'em are a thrill on a 4 wt. Had a large salmon on my eight weight this summer, just long enough to snap the rod. I guess the $15.00 I spent on it wasn’t a bargain after all;-) My friend looked at me and said with a smirk. “That’s a fish you’ll think about the rest of your life.” Har-de-har-har!!

Reply to Chrystal
Chrystal, Good to see you over here. As you know I frequent the Florida Sportsman NMZ forum and the www.paddlezone.net forums primarily, but do occassionally visit most of the others. I like to yak fish the west coast of FL, mostly the Big Bend Area as it is closest to Atlanta. I am looking forward to a trip to PI Sound in Feb 2006. Good luck with Wilma, it would be nice if it just fell apart and spared everyone the worry.

Stan

North Texas
I fish mainly for bass in North Texas lakes, rivers and streams. Of course any fish that bites is better than no fish so if the bass aren’t cooperating then I’ll go after whatever fish are in more biting mood. I fish out of a OT Guide 147 and usually carry 3 to 4 rods and several varieties of lures.

Lots of beer
Dirty Ed won’t fish out of anything that can’t carry a goodly supply of beer. He’s a wild-eyed paddler who’ll take any water riding a pool toy, but he’s not going to fish from something that doesn’t carry a plentiful supply of brewskis.

It was in part because of Dirty Ed that I fitted a nearly full size cooler to what is becoming my primary fishing kayak. It has a 450 pound capacity, which so far as I’m concerned means that it can carry me and 212 lbs of beer and a gallon of fresh water.

• Big D

Smallmouth, Upper Potomac

– Last Updated: Oct-20-05 10:26 PM EST –

I fish mostly the Upper Potomac with some forays over to Shenandoah main stem and a few tidal Potomac trips. I've fished other waters and other areas, but thats my main thing. The targeted species is smallmouth bass, though my catch is usually all manner of weeds, twigs, sticks, rock ledges, etc. Only once has it been another paddler, but that was on a portage so I don't know if it counts as an 'on water' problem.

Main boats are a Perception America and an Ocean Kayak Malibu II, but I also have a Wave Sport Diesel and a Mainstream Jon Buoy. I'm hoping to get a Mohawk Intrepid 16 and a pontoon/fishing cataraft in the next few years.

- Big D

Ozarks
I’ve lived and fished for smallmouth bass all my life in the Ozarks of southern Missouri, got my first canoe when I was a teenager (35 years or so ago), and have owned eight canoes since. Right now I do most of my solo fishing from a Wenonah Vagabond, but will use my old Oscoda Coda if I’m on really slow streams. I have two tandems for friends, fishing buddies, and guests, both Old Town Penobscot 16s. I also own a Pakboat folding canoe for long trips. I’ve fished in about 30 different states for smallmouths, largemouths, trout, steelhead, salmon, sea trout, redfish, bonefish and tarpon, and have caught a lot of other species more or less by accident. I’ve fished from bass boats, johnboats, a whole bunch of different canoes, sit on and sit in kayaks, inflatable kayaks, catarafts, big rafts, McKenzie drift boats, and a homemade inner tube boat. In short, if you can use it and catch it on a stream or river, I’ve probably tried it.

Boy this place is just lousy

– Last Updated: Oct-23-05 5:51 PM EST –

with RiverSmallie.com types isn't it?

Vessel of choice is my tricked-out Loon 111, dubbed the "SS DoahRat". Fish mostly the Shenandoah (SF, NF and mainstem) but make forays during the year to the James, The New in VA and in WVA, as well as the Greenbrier.
Back in VA I run south to the Rappahannock, North Anna, and north to the Potomac and the Susqy and Juniata in PA. Usually end up at some of the same gatherings as Dirty Ed and Big D...ain't nothing finer than to fish all day with some Crazy-'A' folks and run a little WW and then sit about the campfire at night, drink Yum-lings (or whatever gets passed around) and swap lies. Makes life worth living, let me tell ya.

key west, harbor tarpon
out of a necky spike…hang on!

Amazing
Thanks for your posts. I didn’t realize how many folks paddle fish who don’t live on the coast.

Wish we could post pictures here in the thread. It would be fun to have a paddling.net catch, photo and release tournament.

Take care and stay warm this winter,

Chrystal

http://www.ospreybay.com/chrystalweb

Can’t afford a motor boat and got tired
of lugging my canoe around. The kayak has been the best fishing boat I’ve ever owned. Better wind control than a canoe and not the hassle of messing with motors. I’ve had the motor boat, threw them back.

New Jersey
wanna make somethin’ of it?

Fresh water so far but the bays beckon.

I use a OT Loon 138 by my self, and an OT loon 160T with others if need be. Both can use my homemade mount for a Eagle 128 FF, and rod holder.

I fish for the sake of fishing, and to spend time on the water.

Never drift fished before yesterday, at
least not on purpose. Put in and paddled about two miles, set out my drift anchor, two rods, and drifted for about a mile. Really pleasant way to fish and cover ground. Unfortunately, the wind was blowing 20 mph and the drift was still too fast, but fun. Never could have done that in my canoe.

Anything that will bite!
I live and fish Western Pa. Try to fish different place every weekend during the season. Prefer bass fishing but will fish for anything that will bite. I fish from either a Old Town Castine or a QCC 400. Did the powerboat thing for many years until i started kayak fishing approx. 4 years ago.

I’ve since sold the powerboat. No regrets.

I get a rush when i hook a fish large enough to tow me around.

Transport and upkeep much easier on the wallet.

Good luck fishing!

Fishing for Bass and Pickerel

I live in Eastern PA. Thanks to my youngest daughter being interested, I just got back into “serious” fishing this year. I bought a used 15 ft Wenonah Saranac. I love it, she loves it!

We have fished at Lake Minsi and Mauch Chunk most often. We’ve also been to Nockamixon, Towhee, Auburn Dam, Promised Land (both lakes), Peck’s Pond.

On those occasions when she has not wanted to go I have found the Saranac gets me aound very well as I solo. Oh yeah - with the canoe weighing 55 lbs I can handle loading and unloading easily.

I fish with lures for Bass and Pickerel. She likes to put a worm on the hook and catch whatever bites.

Island Rainbow Trout
I fish out of an Upper Canada canoe with my buddy or my son (whoever is available on that day) and we flay the freshwater lakes on Vancouver Island. Have also tried shore fishing for salmon but so far they are winning the war. What is nice - we can fish year-round on the lower level lakes. Gotta try steelhead this winter.

Florida / St. Pete
There are lots of places I’d like to explore, but since I live so close to Fort Desoto I find myself out there way too often.

Currently I paddle an Emotion Fisherman and an Emotion Maverick, my wife paddles an Emotion Exhilarator. However, after the first of the year we’ll be on the hunt for some new plastic.

ditto, bass man II
I use my QCC 400. Live and fish Up-state NY. Anything that bites. Grew up in Western NY and know the Allegany River quite well, from Port Allegany,PA., to Salamanca, NY. Nice to float fish.

Paddle safe.

where i fish
i fish the florida gulf coast for reds,trout,tarpon,and shark. i paddle a hobie quest. i post most often on paddlezone.net.

upstate ny

– Last Updated: Nov-10-05 11:53 AM EST –

I fish from my old town guide 146;lakes and rivers in abundance around here....too many to name. Went out 3-6 times a week all summer but it's cold here now and I'm a wimp so I just have to wait till spring now....
Minnekota trolling motor is great for the bigger waters and rough days (and for covering a good distance in a shorter time). Fish for anything that bites including LM bass, SM bass, pike, pick, perch, bluegills, sunnies, and the occasional catfish.
Don't ya just love going into waters that the big boats can't access, lol.
Oh yeah, and for all of you NY, NJ, CT, etc. fisherpeople, check out http://www.nybass.com for a great group of people who love to share! Not just for bass freaks either!

Favorite Waters
Chrystal,

You know mine. Everglades National Park!!!

We are planning a couple of kayak camping trips … one to Wizard Creek and the other to Jurassic Park you should come along, the fishing there is pretty spectacular. All the kayaks and gear will be shuttled via the “Yak Attack”