Recommend a paddle

I recently seriously upgraded my boat from a WS Pamlico 140 to an Impex Assateague. Now I’m in the market for a better paddle as well. I spent about 6 hours this weekend paddling with a Werner Shuna and it’s a huge improvement over my current paddle, but it seems pretty pricey to me. Is there a paddle out there that might be comparable to a Shuna but a little more economical?

Support Your Tarheel Brother
http://www.lumpypaddles.com/

Hmm.
Not sure I’m ready to buy a Greenland style paddle having never tried one. I have at least some interest and I’d love to try one out at some point, but right now I’m shopping for a Euro.

did you look at the fiberglass Shuna? NM

Try a GP
I would recommend trying a GP before purchasing a euro.

Sooner or later you will try one and your euro will sit unused in the garage.

Werner Tybee

– Last Updated: Jul-17-07 11:03 AM EST –

You like the Shuna? You've got good taste. Dollars doesn't factor in to what feels right on the water, just when you want to add the new toy to your kit.

See you on the water,
Marshall
www.the-river-connection.com

Maybe a DIY???

– Last Updated: Jul-17-07 11:14 AM EST –

Here's a link to a set of plans and instructions for the paddles we use - light, tough, easy to make, and very, very inexpensive. Takes about a day's work, and yields a paddle that's better, IMHO, than a lot of $150-$200 paddles I've hefted.
http://www.paddlespot.ca/
Then hit the DIY link

Not sure if its
the appropriate sort of paddle for your boat, or if it is the sort you are looking for, but I’m really happy with my Epic Relaxed Tour Hybrid paddle. I purchased my as a second/blem on sale for $129. It is a two piece hybrid fiber/carbon shaft with 0/60 RH control. Epic makes the relaxed tour blade in a number of shaft configurations and prices. For a more aggressive high angle stroke they also make the active tour blade. Give them a look.

I concur
While I can appreciate the idea that some people will end up preferring a Euro style paddle for their own reasons, the idea that one is not “ready to buy” a GP just because their only experience to date is with Euro paddles is simply absurd. After all, it’s just a different type of paddle (with, in my personal opinion, several advantages over Euro paddles for the sea kayak paddler).

Being able to “handle”–or not–one type of paddle or another has nothing whatsoever to do with one’s current level of experience (from no paddling experience at all to years of paddling only with Euro style paddles).

When I first started paddling sea kayaks ten years ago, I wasn’t told anything about GPs. I was just introduced to “Euro” paddles, and so that’s what I used. Over the next four years, I came to really love what I could do with my Euro paddles, and though I was aware of GPs by then, I still didn’t feel any great need to try one. Looking back at my attitude at the time, I see only a nonsensical “cultural bias” on my part, along with a rather large dose of ignorance thrown in. Then, one fine day, it happened…

Someone posted a “for sale” message in a paddling email list. They were selling three commercially made GPs (two full length and one short–aka “storm”–paddle), along with a norsaq/rolling stick. Since the price seemed unreasonably good, and I had finally developed some bit of curiosity about GPs, I purchased the paddles. I’d never tried a GP before, so this was truly a sight unseen/untried purchase decision. Since the day my GPs arrived nearly six years ago, I haven’t used my old Euro paddles even once! I keep them around for friends to use if they’re just not comfortable with trying a GP, but even with several of these friends, I’ve found that once they finally do try a GP, they love it, and only want to learn more about using them.

Finally, a small note to JaybirdNC…

If you do decide to try a GP, give yourself some time to practice good techniques with it. If you just try to handle it like you do your Euro paddles, you’ll be disappointed. It is a different type of paddle, after all, with its own associated techniques. Even though I loved my old 80 degree feathered Euro paddles, I can hardly even begin to compare how much more I love my GPs! :slight_smile:

Melissa

On The Contrary…
I haven’t used my GPs for most of the past year. I had made about 5 or 6 paddles and gotten rid of all, except one, which is largely unused.

Paddle types and boats are pretty much personal perferences. For my paddling venues, the GP offers no advantages.

Why such a need for propoganda? Guy is asking about buying a Euro.

sing

Personal preference
Agree boats and paddles are personal preference but the guy just bought an Assateague so a GP might be the right choice, I’m not pushing for it, just suggesting to try it.

Maybe I shouldn’t assume that all paddlers of touring kayaks who try GP don’t go back to EP but that happened to me and quite a few others.

No You Shouldn’t Assume…
The couple of times I went out with a long boat, the GP was on the top deck and the Euro was in my hands the whole time.

sing

On the other hand…
I really wish someone had pushed me to try a GP long before I finally did.

You’re quite correct when you say that boat/paddle/venue preferences are entirely personal, but ignorance has its drawbacks as well. Curiosity is good, and trying new things can, and often does, enhance our experience; even if we try something and ultimately decide that we want something else. You’ve certainly gone through this process to get where you are now, no? :slight_smile:

Melissa

Issues
First and foremost none of my local shops seem to sell GPs. If I had the opportunity to try one out for a couple of days or even purchase a very inexpensive one I may well fall in love as some of you obviously have. To date I’ve only ever seen one person paddling with one and I wasn’t in a position to run them down and ask to try it. Second, the local instructors that I’ve worked with instruct using euro paddles. They may also offer instruction with GPs but I haven’t seen that offered. It would seem that a less common paddle (at least in my area) would mean less common to find instructors which I feel I still need to advance my paddling. Am I off base?

Well…
unless someone actually shows up and gives him a GP to try for an extended period (not a couple of hours), why would he want to spend (risk) money on a paddle he has no experience with and may not like.

Even with GPs, those of us who use and have them also know there is such variations in personal preference of a GP in terms of length (blade and loom), loom shape, loom length, blade width and foil, etc. That’s why I ended up making different sizes and shapes.

sing

Where in the Piedmont Are You?
I’ve become a Greenland paddle person. I have a Werner (Camano I think) that has begun collecting dust.

http://www.wernerpaddles.com/paddles/camano.html

I’d swap it for the price of a good compass for my new boat.

Please also consider ONNO …
After a conversation with you, we build each one to your specs, boat(s) used and waters paddled while factoring in your paddling style + personal preferences and expectations. Several layup options and profiles to choose from. We also offer adjustable length ranges of 5,10, or 15cm. All at a fair price.

http://eteamz.active.com/paddleshop/index.cfm?

under constuction site onnopaddles.com

Yup. ONNO - Have It Your Way…
at slightly more than MickyD prices. :slight_smile:

sing

Owner of almost as many ONNOs as GPs.

get a cheap one
like the Aquabounds until you’ve tried out enough to decide whether something is worth it or not. I’d suggest an Epic but it costs about the same or more.

get yourself an ONNO full tour
with blades built up slightly and you’ll never need another euro paddle. Less expensive than a Werner and light as a feather.

good luck