Retired and no paddle-buddy

I had trouble finding paddling buddies when I moved back to inland PA from the Great Lakes (where I had started kayaking). I finally realized I would have to provide gear if I wanted companions so I bought a boat and gear to offer for a loaner, then added more and more boats until the last group I took out was me and 6 other kayakers, all in MY boats.

While having the fleet (all pretty nice boats and good paddles) did insure that I could regularly find folks to paddle with me for a time (day outings on our big and small rivers and lakes don’t require a LOT of experience or training), I eventually realized that I was just enabling my friends and family to avoid investing in their own kit. And it became increasingly burdensome for me to have to store and wrangle and load boats for others so I stopped arranging trips. I still share gear with a few nearby friends (who will help me load) but they are younger than me and still working so these are quite rare. Some others who I used to paddle with are my age or older – though they are retired, like me, they have increasing health issues and are no longer comfortable paddling.

So I had started looking for groups to join and that proved problematic because the majority of local group trips ended up being crowds of lily-dippers in rec boats who seemed to spend more time eating, regrouping and stopping ashore to pee than paddling. I did luck out and found a few fellow paddlers with touring kayaks who liked to do the distances and interesting locations I desired. But, alas, these local ones are younger than me and not yet retired. Also have significant others, kids and/or other obligations and little spare time, so are outings are few and far between.

I have learned that we female paddlers have some of the same issues with prospective “new partners” that the guys have reported: seems like every profile in personal ads lists “kayaking” as a favorite activity but this too often means that they rented a sit on top once (or just “thought about” paddling) and think stating this as a hobby makes them seem “adventurous” to the sort of women they might hope to sleep with.

I do have several people with whom I very much enjoy paddling (several whom I have met through this forum) but they live 10 hours or more drive away. I used to be a real road warrior and had no problem with solo drives of that duration, but now pushing 70 my stamina for such endurance trials is waning. Takes me a day or two to regain my physical and mental equilibrium when I reach my destination.

The perpetual problem: when you are young, vigorous and healthy you don’t have the money or spare time to pursue many of your passions. When you finally retire you have a lot of the latter, but far less of the former.

My last steady paramour was a handy kayak and canoe buddy who was well matched to me in fitness and trip ambitions, and we got out on the water a lot (he lived on 45 acres directly along a major riverbank, for one thing). But that was about all he was handy for, unfortunately. Honestly, as horrible a creep as he turned out to be in the end, I actually did stick it out with him far longer than I should have just because I always had a competent paddling, biking, hiking and road trip companion during the years we were together. And I knew that was going to be hard to replace, which has proven to be true.

I guess I am not offering anything constructive, just commiserating. If I figure out anything useful as far as lining up paddling buddies, I’ll let you know. All I can say is that having a second set (or more) of boat and gear to loan has probably worked the best for me.

1 Like

I get you, Rik. I’m retired, too. Fortunately no heart attacks. But I gotta say, those ‘random bj’s’ AND a nice paddle would be tough to turn down… hmm… (see what I did there? hmm…) Go ahead and go - alone. Take your daughter with you or tell her you’d rather die of heart failure while getting a bj - IN your boat ya reckon? - than to just sit on the porch whittling. You’ll meet other solo guys paddling - possibly even some straight ones - and don’t be shy about striking up a conversation. Can’t be a heckuva lotta paddlers in the desert, but you play the cards you’re dealt. Start to build up a new network of paddlers who aren’t bothered with those pesky j-o-b-s. Buy a cabin on the water somewhere and take family and friends. Got a dog? Tell your daughter the dog can sense if you’re about to have a heart attack. Get a medical phone app. If any of those women applicants OWNs a boat then go for it. Try to find one who is ugly, has a LOT of money, and a bad cough. Oh, and steal Ken’s car, hide it, and hold it for ‘security’ until he pays up.

Look into one of the many kayaking groups on Meetup.com. It’s free to join, and you can probably find other paddlers in your area. This is NOT a dating site or some sort of hook-up site. Rather, it’s an activity site. I paddled with several different kayak groups until I launched my own group, the Casual Kayakers. I’m based in New England, but there are Meetup groups of all types out there. Take a look…

https://www.meetup.com/Casual-Kayakers/

2 Likes

I am fortunate to be part of ORFS (Outdoor Recreation for Seniors), based at a senior center about 30miles away. They have a few groups - hikers/XC skiers/snowshoers, bicycling, and (from June through September - it is New England!) kayakers. Ranging in age from 50s to late 80s, there are usually 10 - 15 paddling every decent Tuesday. Some go faster, some slower, some paddle longer, some lunch longer, but it’s company on the water - and they have gotten me to several lakes I’d not otherwise have seen. And I’ve met people interested in paddling other times, so that also gives me company. But if I’m going to get out as often as I like, it’s often solo. But I’ve spent much of my life worrying people; why stop now???

That being said - I often paddle alone, especially when traveling; I’m not stupid about it, but if I’m New Mexico, camped on a lake with lots of pelicans, I’m going to paddle around it. Same with the Kansas Fishing Lakes, which offer lots of camping on the water where all I have to do is haul the kayak 15 feet to reach a launch. Or Florida; lots of places to paddle, only a couple of people to paddle with - and only if I’ve hauled an extra boat.

+1 on Meetup.com. Almost all of my organized paddling activities around NE OH come from there. And if there isn’t already an active meetup paddling group in your area, why not start one? It’s entirely possible there are many people like you already, looking for someone with whom to paddle. Create your own group of paddling friends!

Interestingly, as I think about it, I don’t think I paddle with ANYONE who has non-adult kids. Parents today spend all their spare time either attending their kids’ after-school activities, or traveling with them around the country for weekend sports travel leagues. It’s a very strange way to live, to my eyes.

1 Like

Hey Rik,
I rarely find someone to join the fun, but I always go when the itch takes me.

First, and a bit harsh, are you going to live forever? I know I am not. So, saving your life for what? To sit at home? Watch the Superbowl? Uh Rik, Go paddle. The exercise will do nothing but good for you. The fresh air will make you know you are alive. And if a massive MI catches you, you were out there doing just exactly what and where you wanted to be. Like having a wife you are madly in love with. 92 y.o. and dying in her arms after a massive orgasmic romp. Go paddle Rik. You’ve got nothing to worry about except sitting in front of a TV watching Stupidbowls.

NOW, as to a paddle buddy, me. I am male, old, ugly, interested only in women, none seem to be interested in me. And I paddle solo often, usually, normally. I am entered in several western river lotteries for this year and I may be entering another tonight. Most of these are multi day or multi week, most have some white water. If you can do a reliable roll, practice at the local swimming pool if not, until you are rock solid and can do it for fun. The good news for you is I paddle a canoe, and fully capable of carrying some or most of your gear. You can have the bow seat if you like, but paddling along in your own kayak, not a problem. The local stuff near you, nope, I’m in Michigan, but I come out there at times and certainly if I bag a permit. I have done a full Powell, Green River WY to Green River UT twice, extensive Montana routes, pretty good in anything up to and including Class IV, V’s I do, but I also swim from time to time.

To any and all that read this, if you want to form up for one or more rivers this early summer May to June, feel free to contact me. Good company is precious and always welcome. I am an old and ugly yeti, but kind of a Renaissance man? readaholic, musically inclined, prefer the company of women. (They look better, they smell better, they are more intelligent, capable of cogent conversation. ) But, anyone of good heart, good disposition, some courage, and a bit of stupidity, male , female, or it. Canoe, kayak, or raft (white water?) Good paddle buddies are precious. The bow seat is open. Contact me. What the heck, Deanalfred@Gmail.com

2 Likes

I feel your pain, Rik. Most of my paddle buddies still work and are involved with their kids a lot of weekends. My retired paddle friends are either visiting their out of state kids and grandkids (fortunately mine are local) or have health issues, Then there is my wife… at 72 and just a year ago underwent open heart surgery, she thinks I’m too old to do even day trips alone; I’m a tripper and like to do at least 3 days (or more) per outing. Most places I go have spotty cell service, if any at all. I offered to get an InReach or SPOT, but when she saw the cost, she almost had a coronary. If you come up with a solution, please share it.

I am about to turn 72 and all but one of my paddling partners are younger.
I have lower back issues that affect my legs
after sitting in a kayak for awhile. I can get to the put in and launch and paddling is no problem.
The problem occurs when I get out. I can’t stand without help, let alone walk to the truck.
Two people are willing to help at that point. Others, not so much.
It is a vexing issue.

A paddlin’ bud once told me “you don’t just paddle with folks, you grow your own paddlers”. I’ve been involved with annual clinics and also plenty of informal, on the fly, hook a buddy up, paddling. The end result is I don’t get skunked too often. For one paticular stretch of river, I can just show up at the put in at 9:30 on a saturday in June, July or Aug. and odds are there will be somebody I know that I can paddle with. I make it a point to paddle with the rec boat crowd at least a couple of times a year, If they are slower than me or want to make more stops, I am fully capable of entertaining myself. I don’t hesitate to paddle by myself on water that is well within my skillset when I can’t find any partner (very small percentage of the time).

I utilize a local ww message board, three facebook groups, and a list of old phone numbers written in a guidebook. I do understand how lucky I am to be part of such a wide and diverse boating community. That didn’t just happen by chance. The more I give, the more I get back.

Becoming involved in paddlesport education is a great way to increase your paddling pool. I am very blessed to have some good friends that are now regular paddlin’ buds that I met initially at clinics. In many cases their skills now far surpass my own. I like a bit of adventure and it is a great feeling to know i can paddle with folks who have each other’s backs. Despite all this, I realize their interests, availability, and skill level don’t always align with what I want to do. So I’m always cultivating a “new crop”. So my advice is simple, go grow your own paddlin’ partners. Volunteer to teach a class, hold an event, help with a clinic, create your own user group, you’ll find your list of potential paddling partners will expand.

1 Like

It is not hard to find a paddle buddy. I bought my sup and had the same problem like you, then i decided to go on a paddleboarding tour with a local company in Bovec, Slovenia where i have met a few people from the area that paddle on a regular basis. We quickly connected and are paddling together ever since. The guides know a lot of people too, so they can give you their contacts. Paddlers are all super sociable people. If you ever wander to these parts of the world let me know, we can go paddling together, if im not around you can contact te gaency i went with, here is their link: https://www.bovecpaddleboarding.com/. I’m sure they can recommend some people to paddle with.

1 Like

Is it canoe? canoe is more safe for dogs as compared to paddleboard? By the way, cool image.

Holy crim! Some of these folks are long winded. Write a book lately? Shim.
Shoot nobody expresses concern about me paddling alone even in the middle of winter. But I’ve been paddling a long time. I guess they figure if something was going to happen to me it would’ve happened already.
But hell, we are in the age of cellphones. Even in the middle of the woods in up north Michigan I got service. Shoot in many areas they’ll send a Coast Guard boat or helicopter after you.

I’ve been a nurse a long time. Kayaking has to be one of the safest forms of exercise you could do, cardio wise. You could have a MI with little heart damage or a lot of heart muscle damage. Ask your doctor about your ejection fraction and have him/her explain it to you. Listen to your body and don’t push it (any more).

The subject matter is retired (plenty of time), and during lockdown for lots of folks. Of course they will go on! lol

1 Like

Where in northern Michigan?

Willowleaf said:

I had trouble finding paddling buddies when I moved back to inland PA from the Great Lakes (where I had started kayaking). I finally realized I would have to provide gear if I wanted companions so I bought a boat and gear to offer for a loaner, then added more and more boats until the last group I took out was me and 6 other kayakers, all in MY boats.

Me too.
I started with one canoe, then bought two kayaks, one for me and one form my daughter. YI had trouble finding paddling buddies when I moved back to inland PA from the Great Lakes (where I had started kayaking). I finally realized I would have to provide gear if I wanted companions so I bought a boat and gear to offer for a loaner, then added more and more boats until the last group I took out was me and 6 other kayakers, all in MY boats. Then my daughter brought a date so I had to get a third. Then I figured that if I started to date I’d need on form her. Then for her kids… now I have a fleet.
I realized that if I found people, most had no idea of how so I got a few starter boats to teach, and use on the salt river, then longer boats for long trip camping and by now I own 12 kayaks and 2 canoes.
I do do trips with most people borrowing my gear but better that than staying at home and those who stuck with it eventually bought their own boats and gear, some from me and some outside my fleet.
I do belong to the SAPC, the local paddling club but most are either white water or older people looking for dates or people who think that they may but quickly drop out.

Profcliff said:

Buy a cabin on the water somewhere and take family and friends. Got a dog? Tell your daughter the dog can sense if you’re about to have a heart attack.

Buy a cabin near water? Sure if I had $100k for waterfront property and was willing to drive 4 hours each weekend.
I do have a dog who paddles with me, I built him a deck on my boats so he can bark at the ducks. Both my sons died, my oldest daughter dislikes the sport, my youngest daughter loves to paddle but now lives in Arkansas so neither of those is any use.
Ken is a stupid redneck who let his car be repo’d rather than tow it to the DMAFB long-term storage lot. He is out of the USAF but now works at the base so is limited as to time to weekends. Just like Shawna who is a small business owner who is so worried that this covid thing will send her into bankruptcy, she cannot think of anything other than make plans on top of plans to save her business.

Paddler236278 said:

NOW, as to a paddle buddy, me. I am male, old, ugly, interested only in women, none seem to be interested in me.

I get enough women who are ‘interested in paddling’ but almost all of them are pretending just to date someone (dating is really hard for a woman past 30) who they can get to drop the sport after we fall in love with them. So I get mostly older women who pretend to want to paddle and gay guys who want only casual sex. Neither of which appeals to me.
I have no problem dating, BUT she must be active and share in my interests.

Jonathan said:

Then there is my wife… at 72 and just a year ago underwent open heart surgery, she thinks I’m too old to do even day trips alone; I’m a tripper and like to do at least 3 days (or more) per outing. Most places I go have spotty cell service, if any at all.

I like 3-day trips as a day trip, though fun, is not enough time to relax when you have to drive 2-4 hours to reach water. 5 days is fine, but after 7 I really want a hot shower and soft bed.
Fortunatly, I am still healthy though after 7 years of full contact martial arts and three wars, my knees are not a good as I would wish, I do like an hourly rest stop to stretch.

Tdaniel said:

Becoming involved in paddlesport education is a great way to increase your paddling pool.

One reason I have so many short boats is to do paddling classes. I used to teach BOW classes but this year they switched to the Coast Guard as teachers. I think it was insurance reasons though no coast guard has my experience with paddling or teaching paddling. And at BOW, women were either gay and there to hook up with other women or married and wanting to learn new sports. The single ones lived far from me and I never hit on a student. If they want to chase me, I will take that on a case-by-case basis but I never make the first step.

AnglaGadapee said:

Is it canoe? canoe is more safe for dogs as compared to paddleboard?

I have an OT Pac-12 canoe for the Green River for when I can go. Pug likes to sit on the dry-bags.
For my kayaks, I built a deck for him so he doesn’t slip off as he hates the water but loves to paddle. As I love to paddle but cannot swim, it gives us something in common.
And yes, despite my lack of swimming, I have done a number of water rescues, one that even frustrated the water-rescue coach.

Luckyday said:

But hell, we are in the age of cellphones. Even in the middle of the woods in up north Michigan I got service. Shoot in many areas they’ll send a Coast Guard boat or helicopter after you.

Arizona is so much larger than Michigan and is mostly mountains that block cell coverage and mess with GPS. Plus we have what is called the “Stupid peoples Law” that says that if you have to be rescued and the rescuers think that it was because of your own stupidity, the State can charge you the entire cost of the rescue PLUS fine you for endangering the rescue people.
Along the Colorado River, the govt tells you that the river is NOT patrolled anywhere so you need to learn self-rescue skills. Kinda forced me to figure out a safe way to get my group downriver when facing 35-know winds.
Only a couple years ago, they got a cell tower on Canyon Lake but that works ONLY on the main lake but the inlets and rivers are still blocked by mountains.
I did an overnight a few weeks ago with a female friend who needed to get away form worrying if the covid will force her company into bankruptcy or if she can somehow save it. We planned to do Bagely Flats but that was overgrown with waist high weeds so I found a hidden bay across the river that was isolated. We set up camp then had to endure all those f-wheelers who drove through at all hours of the day and night.
In Arizona, finding a camping spot on a river or lake is difficult and those that exist are often crowded. If she has to file bankruptcy, she will live off her family trust for six months and spend that time paddling and camping. I have mixed feelings about that.

Refer to my post 10 days ago that I posted entitled “ACR OLAS TRACKER MAN OVERBOARD DISTRESS BEACON” a nice device to have that can worn like a wristwatch and you can put your daughters phone number in it that will send a text to her of something happens or check out their website at…more details on my original posting…below is pic what to look for on website

www.acrartex.com

Pretty cool safety device that could probably save some lives! Anymore I spend about half of my paddle time in an area without any cell service, but maybe worth checking out for the other half of the time.

I live south of Detroit, but I usually go camping around Tawas each summer. I like paddling on the Cook Pond impound of the Ausable River.

I wanted to make it sound funny like Wayne or Garth from Wayne’s world were saying. Maybe I should have said ‘shnikey’ or ‘Shaw!’

My Border Collie is my best paddling partner. I have been arranging overnight canoe trips for over 50 years. Most older people my age, have become wimpy. I just bought an OT Canadienne in kevlar for a solo boat.

4 Likes