Rig a Pintail (no donkey)

no bungees?
So, cord for the first two bungees in front of the cockpit? I did not realize in your pictures that it was a cord. I thought it was a bungee.

I will look into that. Most likely try it first when I re-do a Valley Q-Boat next week.

In the picture I only stuck the paddle under one bungee but I thought normally it will be under 2 bungees. It will not move the paddle under the conditions that this person will paddle for the next 2 years. Most likely I will re-do it after the Q-Boat reconditioning.

what I carry on deck
a spare paddle

map

paddle float

hand pump

in the summer perhaps: sunmask, sunglasses, hat

in colder times: neoprene gloves, neoprene hood, hat

Sometimes a gps although I haven’t found a pleasant or practical approach to this device.

Nice
I was actually thinking for my Q boat to use wooden balls in stead of those ‘risers’ I made for the Pintail. Looks like you have one ball in the middle. On mine I think I will skip the ball in the middle.

Those sliders look cool. I might try to make them of dowels.

Don’t bet on it
A paddle held only by bungees WILL move around when water hits it. As the bungee ages, it will get looser and the problem will get worse.

As I mentioned earlier, I use very little bungee on my boats. Typically, I use it for the forward paddle retainer, one strand well ahead of the cockpit and for the bow and stern toggle retainers. Everything else that I actually use is done with cord and sliders. I do leave the bungees for a Euro paddle on the aft deck, but I only carry a spare Euro if I’m leading a trip (so I can lend it to someone who breaks or loses a paddle), which I haven’t done in years. I really don’t need them, but they’re already there, so there’s no point in removing them.

Not talking rescues re toggles
Of course one should be grabbing perimeter lines in a rescue. However when a boat gets loose in surf etc… sometimes it is the ends one can grab and that is when toggles (or monkey fists etc…) are useful.

84?
My number ends in 84 .

Did they make them i 84?

Apparently
I think they started making them in the 70’s.

what a
beauty! Thanks for many great tips folks.

antique
I am going to put antique plates on it