Roof rack with Yakima rollers & saddles: safe for a drive-thru car wash?

Do you guys remove your roof rack kit before entering the car wash?

Thanks…

I don’t and mine are on a pickup. No problems after several trips. I have only saddles.

I assume you meant saddles, not paddles? I’d remove paddles before going through a wash.

If the rack and accessories are attached appropriately, the car wash should not hurt them. There will be spots that won’t get as clean (under bar and accessories, and definitely under the feet of the rack).

Saddles, yes. Just want to make sure there was no horror stories of the car wash brushes getting stuck in the rack kit!

On another note: I needed an “island car” that would do well as a kayak hauler. I looked hard and found a 2007 Volvo XC70 wagon. First ever Swedish car for me. I love driving this thing! Long low strong roof and super comfortable…

I assume you are talking about the automated touch free ones. The one that is manned by human beings near me wouldn’t let me in with saddles up. At the most bare, and short, cross bars.

With saddles and rollers or glide pads only issue was the length of the cross bars. Had really long ones at one point, thinking maybe 68", and I did the hose bay rather than the automatic one with those bars.

I also would not take a chance with the Hullivator cradles up.

I always pull the racks on the rare times I use a car wash. I do use 78" bars and will have the bars on with canoe clips most of the year.

My roof rack, no. My Hullavators, yes. I use only a touchless car wash in the winter and hand wash it myself in the warmer months. The other style car washes use abrasive brushes so I avoid them.

I would never go through a car wash with a rack on!

1 Like

@shiraz627 said:

X’s - 2

1 Like

@shiraz627 said:

Not even a touchless wash, which is like driving into a rainstorm filled with soap suds?

No.

1 Like

@Rookie said:

@shiraz627 said:

Not even a touchless wash, which is like driving into a rainstorm filled with soap suds?

I would never do it either and I’m sure it’s prohibited in at least some car washes but the touchless wash sounds OK assuming your vehicle fits in with a rack and accessories.

@TomL said:

@Rookie said:

@shiraz627 said:

I would never do it either and I’m sure it’s prohibited in at least some car washes but the touchless wash sounds OK assuming your vehicle fits in with a rack and accessories.

The touchless car washes can handle huge SUVs, It uses a laser beam to measure width and length.

I don’t have my Hullavator installed when my car is washed, either in the touchless car wash or when I do it at home. Rack was installed in 2016 and has never been removed. I do apply T-9 on the Hullavator attachment bar a few times a year. For my setup the touchless system works and doesn’t damage anything.

If the car wash is one of those types with the large brush rollers and other forms of machine operated scrubbers I would say the risk of damage is quite possible. Those car washes have been known to break and rip off antenna, windshield wipers, factory OE spoilers, and side mirrors. If there is a warning sign posted, I would abide by the rules.

I never take my car through such car washes with a rack mounted. No problem with a touchless.

I have with factory racks no cradles. They often miss under the bar. With cradles, or truck racks…no way.

I’ve never had a problem at all taking my Hyundai Elantra with Yakima rack through the carwash with brushes and rollers at Waterways Carwash. I take the Malone saddles or the canoe boat stops off, but I never remove the clips, towers and crossbars.

No offense, but I wouldn’t ever take my 2014 Honda CRV through a drive through car wash, much less my Yakama racks.
Not going to go into the reasons as all you have to do is Google it to see the damage it does to your car’s paint.

2 Likes

My truck won’t even clear the barrier at the entrance if my rack is on, but if you have a car or an suv , I would definitely take it off. Even the touch free types have moving arms and hoses that can get snagged in your rack. You could damage your rack or roof (or both) or worse you could break the car wash equipment, which they will try to make you pay for. Your insurance definitely would not be happy about that.

1 Like

I would not go through with a roof rack. Worst case- it gets ripped off. Best case- The hydroflouric acid used to clean car gets retained in roof rack parts and eventually damages something. (Automated car washes use hydroflouric acid to accelerate the cleaning process).

I went through an automated car wash with my Thule roof rack as I had countless times over many years, but this particular day, the car wash caught the rack and ripped the front crossbar from the car. The rack was undamaged, but the car sustained $2900 damage. The car wash refused to cover the damage through their insurance.
DON’T GO THROUGH AN AUTOMATED CAR WASH WITH ANY AFTER-MARKET ROOF RACK.

1 Like