Rudder on your kayak? Please STAY AWAY!

I have a wood kayak. I absolutely HATE those aluminum kayak rudders - especially the “Feathercraft” brand rudders with the “knife wings” that stick out. sideways and scratch other people’s boats. In group kayaking, boats always come together at some point and the boats with rudders always scratch my kayak. In some cases, they cut and smash right through the fiberglass and I have to do repairs. IF you are wearing a dry suit and some butt-head with a rudder asks you to help him carry his kayak, be sure to take the bow and not the stern because the frayed cable ends of his stupid rudder will poke holes and cut into your expensive dry suit. If you are in the water around somebody with a rudder, be very aware of the dangers of the metal rudder hardware on their tail. It is as deadly as a stingray’s tail. If you get hit by it, you are going to hurt.

Look, rudder-kids, if you can’t paddle without a rudder, please stay in the kiddie pool with the other beginners. Practice until you can ride without training wheels, then maybe come paddle with the adults. Until then, please stay away and keep your clumsy hardware away from our boats and our bodies.

yea OK :smiley: post up picture of your kayak. Please inflate it before the picture is taken so we can tell what it is possibly. I know it’s bait you posted. Same stuff you posted in another older thread.

Winter must have arrived.

If a frayed cable went through your drysuit it’s wore thin time to spring for a real new one. My paddling partner (a woman) has no problem handling the back of my 100 lb, Libra XT as we load it on an Ford Excursion at 5’-4" I suggest you lift some weights at the gym then you can control what you lift better. :’(

This is just foolish bait. I personally decided against ever having a kayak with a rudder again after living with it for my first sea kayak, but if I wanted to do a huge expedition or raced I would reconsider. It is a sign of at least great immaturity on the OPer’s part that they can’t resist trying to start a fight here. Or they have deeper issues.

Personally, I love the rudder vs. skeg debates. They can go on forever and the thread rarely gets hijacked - and the same things get said over and over so you can stick your comment in anywhere… Perhaps the only thing I can add is that skegs are potentially dangerous to fish and other sea creatures. But their little brains are smart enough to keep away.

I’d love to take him out on Lake Superior in a following sea with four to six foot waves from the quartering stern. I love my rudder then to avoid broaching… My rudderless partner has to wrestle to keep on track.
Why in a group situation boats “always come together” is beyond me. Please Guide tell me where you guide so I can come learn from your very expert advice and kiss your feet . I would suggest you solo.

I have a sea canoe. Its got a rudder for a reason. As it is a Monarch similar to a Sea Wind you might take note of where others have taken it before you name call and ridicule.

@rsevenic said:
Personally, I love the rudder vs. skeg debates. They can go on forever and the thread rarely gets hijacked - and the same things get said over and over so you can stick your comment in anywhere… Perhaps the only thing I can add is that skegs are potentially dangerous to fish and other sea creatures. But their little brains are smart enough to keep away.

Debate is good but it’s how you phrase it.

RAWR! I am RUDDER TROLL! Fear my over zealous hatred of rudders and frayed cables, as I have slaughtered entire containers of rudders with my Skegged Dragon powered Chariot. Only a fool would need a rudder on a dragon chariot.

…is this post real? Im with rsevenic. The answer is whatever you decide it is. Dont like rudders? use a skeg. Want to maximize forward propulsion or paddling in challenging conditions? A rudder is golden. Personally I love C1 (no rudder or skeg at all, though on windy days I long for one) and Surfski (Rudder mandatory).

I’ll play devils advocate and say even skegged paddling is easy compared to single blade. Nothing worse than quartering wind and waves in a C1.

If you’re facetiously venting about the dummies in your paddling group, this is funny. If this post is serious, im just confused.

I can appreciate why someone with a nice homebuilt boat doesn’t want holes and scratches but the solution seems self evident. Stop passing out cookies. Or paddle solo.
Oh as to that quartering wind and a rudder and a Monarch or Sea Wind… Yes. They are single blade craft.

You have all missed the obvious solution. The OP needs to install a bigger, meaner, sharper rudder on his boat. Used correctly, this will allow him to keep the rudder buddies at bay; maybe even draw a little blood so they think twice about coming close to his shiny boat ever again.

Sarcasm aside, I don’t care if someone has a rudder, skeg, or neither. Most reasonable people here won’t pour fuel on this fire. However, I do take issue with people getting in my paddling space uninvited. It doesn’t matter whether their rudder is wreaking havoc on my boat, or they just need the “more stable” edge of my boat to grab onto for a while. I don’t like it when I’m boxed in and can’t maneuver and perform my desired paddle strokes - especially in rough conditions.

@kayamedic said:
the solution seems self evident. Stop passing out cookies. Or paddle solo.

Why paddle solo if you can just stay away from people having a rudder?

I tend to agree with him, though not in so radical words. Doing rescue training with people who use rudders or paddle lines can be an annoyance, and I try to avoid partnering up with those people in training.

@Allan Olesen said:

@kayamedic said:

I tend to agree with him, though not in so radical words. Doing rescue training with people who use rudders or paddle lines can be an annoyance, and I try to avoid partnering up with those people in training.

The way I read it he seemed incapable of doing so… Must be a strong attraction. Sorry you are taking it so seriously

@Allan Olesen said:

@kayamedic said:

If you need to rescue someone with a rudder then what?

I have a wood boat. Oysters, rocks, dock pilings, stumps and pipes are problems. Rudders on other boats are not problems.

I think Sparky has the best solution.

I often take beginners. While I’ve had a few bump into me, it was the bow. This only happens when we’re mobbed up starting out.

@Celia said:
I think Sparky has the best solution.

A new sport: kayak jousting!

Been Hur

@PaddleDog52 said:

If you need to rescue someone with a rudder then what?

No problem with me rescuing someone.

The problem occurs when I am being rescued by someone with a ruddered boat, if I have to sit / lie down on his rear deck. We sometimes do this as an exercise during rescue training. Or for fun when switching boats on the water, trying not to get wet.