Rudder on your kayak? Please STAY AWAY!

Rudders scratching other kayaks? Ha! I don’t even let then get to the water…

I hate seeing those things.

Not only are they dangerous, they’re ugly. Couldn’t resist though.

Those can’t be legal…

@Sparky961 said:
Those can’t be legal…

I see them on some tractor trailers.

If the police don’t do anything about them then they become legal.

What you permit you promote

Looks can be deceiving . The “lug nuts” you see on my truck are plastic and cover the real nuts.

@Overstreet said:
Looks can be deceiving . The “lug nuts” you see on my truck are plastic and cover the real nuts.

Still not good on a person’s leg. But watch where you walk.

Rudder love it.

Problem solved.

@PaddleDog52 said:

Why would you walk that close to that size truck?

Great thread.

I nearly got a vasectomy once trying to re-enter a ruddered boat.

@Overstreet said:

@PaddleDog52 said:

Why would you walk that close to that size truck?

Why do people hit there legs on a hitch? Why does anyone ever have an accident?

I didn’t read through all the replies here. But some boats just NEED a rudder (My Tiderace Pace Tour 17 or now sold QCC700x). If you don’t like them don’t buy them. End of discussion. One comment, why are you people cutting your selves on the rudder boats while reentry? . What are you doing so far back on the boat. I don’t get any where near the rudder during a cowboy scramble. Maybe if I was 6’5" my leg would get close. Being short not even close.

A friend got caught in a squeeze play on I-85. He was driving a Fiesta and a trucker apparently didn’t see him . The lug nuts cut a hole in his door and they were the regular ones.
He got rid of that rolling coffin.

Telling rudder-kids that rudders suck because they scratch other folk’s kayaks or that the hardware is dangerous during rescues is like telling a smoker that they stink. They just don’t want to hear it or believe it. I will post some photos of scratches on my kayak from other people’s rudders.

@kayamedic said:
I’d love to take him out on Lake Superior in a following sea with four to six foot waves from the quartering stern. I love my rudder then to avoid broaching… My rudderless partner has to wrestle to keep on track.
Why in a group situation boats “always come together” is beyond me. Please Guide tell me where you guide so I can come learn from your very expert advice and kiss your feet . I would suggest you solo.

I have a sea canoe. Its got a rudder for a reason. As it is a Monarch similar to a Sea Wind you might take note of where others have taken it before you name call and ridicule.

I paddle on the Great Lakes (including Lake Superior) in big waves without a rudder as do many other kayakers. Eskimos didn’t have rudders, How in the world do you suppose they managed to survive and even hunt?! Oh gosh!

When I paddle in big waves with other folks, the guys with rudders do not perform any better than the guys without rudders.

@Allan Olesen said:

@kayamedic said:
the solution seems self evident. Stop passing out cookies. Or paddle solo.

Why paddle solo if you can just stay away from people having a rudder?

I tend to agree with him, though not in so radical words. Doing rescue training with people who use rudders or paddle lines can be an annoyance, and I try to avoid partnering up with those people in training.

Right you are. Of course, when you go on a group paddle or do some group training, you don’t get to choose what kind of boats show up. However, I do try to avoid being near the guys with rudders. Not only are their sterns like scorpion tails, but they also tend to “wag” their sterns sideways quickly in ways that normal kayaks do not.

When you are doing rescue practice in groups and you get partnered with someone who has a rudder, it almost surely means your boat will get scratched by their rudder at some point. Be very aware of their hardware when you are in the water being rescued because if they clumsily pull up beside you and hit you with the rudder hardware, it can hurt you bad. In most cases, people with rudders are nubes or lack good control, so they are often clunking into other boats and sometimes don’t have the rescue techniques down solid to begin with making it even more dangerous.

@GuidingMike said:

@kayamedic said:
I’d love to take him out on Lake Superior in a following sea with four to six foot waves from the quartering stern. I love my rudder then to avoid broaching… My rudderless partner has to wrestle to keep on track.
Why in a group situation boats “always come together” is beyond me. Please Guide tell me where you guide so I can come learn from your very expert advice and kiss your feet . I would suggest you solo.

I have a sea canoe. Its got a rudder for a reason. As it is a Monarch similar to a Sea Wind you might take note of where others have taken it before you name call and ridicule.

I paddle on the Great Lakes (including Lake Superior) in big waves without a rudder as do many other kayakers. Eskimos didn’t have rudders, How in the world do you suppose they managed to survive and even hunt?! Oh gosh!

When I paddle in big waves with other folks, the guys with rudders do not perform any better than the guys without rudders.

They didn’t have cell phones either. So are you dumping your phone or kayak because it’s not what they paddled?

May be they are all nubes as you say so they don’t perform better?