Rudder on your kayak? Please STAY AWAY!

@GuidingMike said:

@kayamedic said:
I’d love to take him out on Lake Superior in a following sea with four to six foot waves from the quartering stern. I love my rudder then to avoid broaching… My rudderless partner has to wrestle to keep on track.
Why in a group situation boats “always come together” is beyond me. Please Guide tell me where you guide so I can come learn from your very expert advice and kiss your feet . I would suggest you solo.

I have a sea canoe. Its got a rudder for a reason. As it is a Monarch similar to a Sea Wind you might take note of where others have taken it before you name call and ridicule.

I paddle on the Great Lakes (including Lake Superior) in big waves without a rudder as do many other kayakers. Eskimos didn’t have rudders, How in the world do you suppose they managed to survive and even hunt?! Oh gosh!

When I paddle in big waves with other folks, the guys with rudders do not perform any better than the guys without rudders.

May be because all the people with rudders are noobs?

Now that’s a rudder!

@GuidingMike said:

@kayamedic said:
I’d love to take him out on Lake Superior in a following sea with four to six foot waves from the quartering stern. I love my rudder then to avoid broaching… My rudderless partner has to wrestle to keep on track.
Why in a group situation boats “always come together” is beyond me. Please Guide tell me where you guide so I can come learn from your very expert advice and kiss your feet . I would suggest you solo.

I have a sea canoe. Its got a rudder for a reason. As it is a Monarch similar to a Sea Wind you might take note of where others have taken it before you name call and ridicule.

I paddle on the Great Lakes (including Lake Superior) in big waves without a rudder as do many other kayakers. Eskimos didn’t have rudders, How in the world do you suppose they managed to survive and even hunt?! Oh gosh!

When I paddle in big waves with other folks, the guys with rudders do not perform any better than the guys without rudders.

That’s nice. My hubby paddles a rudderless kayak. I paddle a Mad River Monsrch. It’s a sea canoe that very much benefits from a rudder. I’m not a guy and am in my seventies. Seems you are special. I’ve been paddling 55 years. Due to arthritis I cannot paddle a kayak.
So there is my I I I session.

Please refrain from judging. A

@GuidingMike said:
In most cases, people with rudders are nubes or lack good control,

I mentioned this to a naval architect I work with, and he laughed because, you know, real boats don’t have rudders, cf. “sententious” (adjective)…

I’ve been kayaking for decades and always use a rudder when possible. My surfski tracks like an arrow so I need the rudder to turn and my tandem rec kayak tracks like a rescue raft so I need a rudder to go straight. They also help in high winds and strong currents. It’s not rocket science. Or maybe it is. Don’t rockets have fins to help guide their direction?

@PaddleDog52 said:

Are you implying that they stop using rudder when they stop being noobs? Why would they do that?

@Allan Olesen said:

@PaddleDog52 said:

Are you implying that they stop using rudder when they stop being noobs? Why would they do that?

Being sarcastic. He said he nubes use rudders and he out performs all with rudders. So it would then make all ruddered people nubes.

Rip roaring rudders!
Skegs skewered scary!
Abandon paddle ship!
Better take next ferry!

Halloween’s coming,
with hollowed-out gourds.
Such a pumpkin’s now in steerage,
setting discourse, All Aboard!

Wrong forum :wink: