Show off your boat ... let's see pics!

Very nice who built your scamp?

So a balance brace in an Anas can be done well. Even with a Brooks on, I just barely keep my nose above water. I’m going to have to try harder. Excellent form, nice pic.

John Trussell’s name is on the plans. I bought it from a member of our sailing club named Rusty. He did a few mods, like making the mast two piece to fit in the boat. cost me much less than building it would have.

Medawgone, it is a Scamp like Fat Bottom Girl. If I do the EC she is possibly the boat I would use, but more likely I would sail my British Wayfarer which is a faster boat and 100 pounds lighter. The Scamp is very sea worthy as this video demonstrates as Howard Rice tries to capsize one in some rough conditions to see If he can right it. I’m thinking Seashell might be a good name for her.

2 Likes

The scamp rows easily if not fast, and came with a set of two piece oars. You can see one of them in this photo.

1 Like

She is Lovely, the EC is one of the only races left on my bucket list….

1 Like

Wow, that sure was a nice recovery.

Is there any differences?

Never take a sailboat out when it’s windy. It might capsize. Oh! Does your mother know you do that?

Very very nice. Impressive. Incredible design.

The only thing I found was the colour, as you can see! And of courses the wear and tear on mine (I really need to replace the bungees!).

1 Like

Mom has passed, but my Dad who is 98 knows what I do. here I was practicing with a fellow sailor on a Flying Scot. I’m the one with the white hat climbing on the boat.

4 Likes

I know sailboats can be righted, and I though I saw everything on the video of the guy rolling the Pungo, but castoff, that takes the award. Bravo. I reviewed the post before I asked whether that other guy was your father. I was ready to say shame on you!

2 Likes

Latest pair to our fleet. Stellar Intrepid 18 belongs to my 76yo father. The Stellar Intrepid LV is mine.

12 Likes

One of them is frozen in time. :upside_down_face:

2 Likes

Nice boats. Is that an older Intrepid 18? When I went to the Stellar site to check the specs, I noticed the current model has a day (snack) hatch in front of the cockpit.

Looks like a lovely place to paddle.

My Intrepid is a 2017. The S18 is a 2021. Both purchased on the used market. I think the snack hatch is standard on the new Intrepids. But I think they can be ordered without it. I hate the front snack hatches. They are in the way. I also prefer to store my pump and float under deck, in an attached tube.

Just picked up two WS Pungo 120s. My doctor finally approved going back to paddling after a shoulder replacement but won’t let me lift over my head, hence the trailer. Since I now use a trailer, I decided to go with longer kayaks. Still keeping our Swiftys and Otters for now. No ocean trips, just calm Gulf of Mexico island hopping and mostly river and mangrove exploring.

3 Likes

Streamr, I have two 140 Duralite Pungos and love them. I switched up to the 145 Tsunami (also have the 125 and 175) because the closed cockpit is better suited for the open water of the Chesapeake Bay. You’ll enjoy it. I paced a guy in a120 Pungo for about a quarter mile and my GPS showed he was smoking it. Also have a bad shoulder. I paddle low angle with a light 99 sq inch touring blade. For me, the secret is good torso rotation.

I’d like to know how your bionic shoulder works out. I need to get a new one, but worried how it will affect my range of motion.

jyak, thanks for the info on your Pungos. I’m liking the 120 so far, the extra 3 feet over my others makes a difference. I had a total shoulder replacement when I just couldn’t take the pain anymore. I do not have all of my range back and probably never will but I’m at about 90%. What was huge for me was that my pain is completely gone. I’m still working on my strength but my doc says I’m doing very well for an old dude. Excited that I’m getting back on the water.

1 Like

Streamr, your doing well because you’re a kayaker. I’m glad to hear that. My problem was torn rotator cuff and 2 detatched tendons, still detatched. It got infected with sepsis that caused arthritis in the socket. Didn’t think I would kayak again, but I but up about .1 to .3 mph per trip, which is fairly standard for me. I’m fine under 10 miles and deal with the pain, but when I get in the 16 mile range, it feels like nerve sensitivity. I’m worried if I get out in the middle of the bay, the left arm won’t respond. You give hope. As you rebuild, I’d like to know how high you can raise your arm. I’m limited to about 85 degrees, but it doesn’t interfere with my paddling style.

If you have any questions about the Pungo performance capabilities, message me. Itsca good boat. The 140 was fast enough, it just didn’t handle waves very well. Once they got to 18 inches, it tended to pound and water rolled over the deck. I believe the new 140 Pungo has a forward bulkhead.

Another shot of the old Aquanaut LV taken on Thanksgiving Day.

East side of Maury Island, WA

7 Likes