Signs of fall.

Just mowed the lawn. Growth has suddenly slowed to about half the rate of a month ago, the Lantana had several Monarchs on it today, late afternoon was pleasant, meaning I’m not dripping sweat, the zinnias are blooming their last and castoff is deer hunting. No wooly bears yet.
Time to focus on paddling.

Yeah Jim I have only paddled twice in the last eight weeks. That’s borderline insanity territory for me. I was wondering about castoff! Haven’t heard from him lately. Turkey hunting with bow I suppose?

I was just up in Sylvania (upper peninsula of Michigan), and over the course of half a week we watched the sugar maples go from barely turning to being halfway to peak color. Lots of the maples were actually at peak fall color. Here where I live, I’ve been watching the black willows mysteriously losing their leaves far earlier than normal, and all trees have long since lost their summer luster. Thursday evening it was around 80 degrees and the night-time insects were in full swing, but tonight’s low temperature should be about 40.

Lots of leaves blown down, thanks to the gale force winds today (59 mph gusts) - and we’re not even near peak color.

Will be 38F tonight. Heck of a last day of summer.

“Fall” ???

It was 86 degrees on the lake yesterday in the NC foothills

We took our baby canoes, (my “Wilderness” and her “Vagabond” ) and it felt like mid July

I am finally seeing some color here in the capital district of New York, and earlier this week in the southern tier, though how much of that is fall color and how much severe stress from the hot summer is hard to tell. The good news is that this week it finally got and stayed much chillier overnight.
But this has been such a long spell of heat -so far the biggest traditional sign of seasonal change I saw was the Guillemots beginning to go into their winter coloration the last week of August in Maine.

@Rookie said:
Lots of leaves blown down, thanks to the gale force winds today (59 mph gusts) - and we’re not even near peak color.

Will be 38F tonight. Heck of a last day of summer.

That was quite the little blow last night. The 3rd floor, which is our evening retreat, was really quaking.

This is the most beautiful time of the year. Couple of weeks ago, out towards Whitefish Point, the maples were beginning to turn a lot. In the Soo, we are said to be about 10% along.

We thought our tourist season was done for the year, but have a couple of friends coming the 1st week of October for a color tour and to help us gut the entryway, exterior kitchen walls and back room. Gonna have to stock up on the beer.

@string said:

. No wooly bears yet.

Have seen a couple during our walks and the black was very predominate. Even the orangie color was more off a burnt color.

@yatipope said:
Yeah Jim I have only paddled twice in the last eight weeks. That’s borderline insanity territory for me. I was wondering about castoff! Haven’t heard from him lately. Turkey hunting with bow I suppose?

Deer hunting with his bow. He has seen a bobcat, a coyote, and a flock of turkeys. No deer.

Yesterday we had the AC on in the morning. By noon we could open the windows to cool the house off. My mid-afternoon we closed all the windows to try to retain the heat in the house. Paddled after dinner yesterday and was happy to have the warmth of my PFD. Zoey seemed pretty comfy too.

Signs of fall…We we’re water skiing today and the boat ramp was only 10% full. Summer it would be full.

@Overstreet said:
Signs of fall…We we’re water skiing today and the boat ramp was only 10% full. Summer it would be full.

Isn’t it great!

Maybe all the Floridians returned home.
We won’t have any snowbirds for a couple of months…

Fall… just a few hints. The real feel will come next week. High temps in the 70s. I could wear long pants again.

@Rex said:
Fall… just a few hints. The real feel will come next week. High temps in the 70s. I could wear long pants again.

I’ve worn long pants one time all summer.

I’m happy for you, your preparation is essential and your doing a great job. Good luck to your winter’s goals.

@grayhawk said:

yep, those who paddle the ICW will be seeing the traffic (from boats a bit larger than kayaks) heading south picking up in another month or so (maximum just after Thanksgiving)

@grayhawk said:

The advanced elements arrive in October.

ice in the birdbath. Highs in the 50’s Leaves about 30 percent changed. Squirrels eating at my house in panic( the mast crop failed this year. Last year it was so high that the rodents bred twice)
Rodentgeddon is upon us.

We were in Western Michigan over the weekend. It went from 92 F and humid to 59 F and windy in about 18 hours hahaha

The leaves were beautiful. Lake Michigan was cold and choppy, we did not paddle at all. Did get devoured by black flies and mosquitoes at Van Buren State Park- not fun, but the price to pay for a nice Michigan weekend