Signs that spring is here

I stopped by the vet’s office 2 days ago and left the window open. When I came back the seat had snow blossoms all over it. Cherry I think.

I thought for sure spring was here so I put the snow blower away and brought out the lawnmower yesterday. And then today it snows!

Winter is back. 50 deg and drizzle. Sun at the end of the week hopefully.

It’s 50F and you think it’s winter? That’s a heat wave here. Would help melt the snow!

1 Like

50 is fine without the almost continuous rain and drizzle we’ve had for months.

Don’t do what I once (only once) tried when I got totally fed up with shoveling snow.

I put a flameblower to the snow. The ground had long been frozen, so the new meltwater only refroze as ice. Lower down than the heaps of snow, for sure, but not better. What was I thinking?!? :crazy_face:

The first day of spring here was more like the first day of summer and it just got better each day until yesterday when we got showered on. The sun was still nice and warm between showers, though. Today is starting out with showers, but my little weather machine is showing sunshine.

Our governor says we all have to stay home. Maybe I will and maybe I won’t, but I will stay six feet away from everyone–except for my wife–hehe.

They say all the parks are closed now. That means that it will be somewhat harder to find a place to launch from, but not impossible.

Funny story! I had my drive blacktopped a couple years ago, so the combination of snowblower and sun have taken care of the snow. But I still have good sized snowbanks on each side and as I have to retrieve my Prana from storage today since the facility is in lockdown, hope there’s enough room for me to unload it without standing on a snowbank.

The Fathom will have to wait until I figure out where to stash it.

I know what you were thinking…… gunpowder might draw undo attention. Hold my beer while I light this!

Or ANFO. I’ve seen it used years ago to create ponds.

The vultures have started to return to our canyon. Yay!

Ravens are showing off to each other with fancy flight.

Spiders are running around outdoors.

Cacti made it through another winter and are starting to perk up a little from their diminished winter appearance.

Let’s give three cheers to spiky, bitey, ominous-lored living things! (Except for yellowjackets.)

No bugs yet, just a chipmunk popping out of a snowdrift searching for food.

What I did notice yesterday, when walking through a section of my garden where the snow has melted, is that the helicopter maple seeds disbursed by the millions in the fall have started to germinate.

An outdoor chore! Yay!!

We have sun! Definitely an outdoor day.

1 Like

A couple signs of Spring from today. Today I also helped the first victim of the year that got stuck in the mud at a local park. The ground was very squishy and I would have gotten stuck at my put-in too if I didn’t have 4WD. The stay at home order for Michigan still allows outdoor activities for exercise.

1 Like

Spring like today in Southern Michigan. Soil is dry enough (mostly) to work. I had rough tilled the main garden last week. Looked at the 15 day weather guess and put in some peas today. Also, yesterday, three blackberry plants showed up so those went in today as well.

1 Like

My left arm has been itching for 2 days . It started peeling today. Sunburn in March!

Just pulled my first tick of the year. Eveything’s still brown around here and there is still some snow in the shady spots on the north slopes, but having seen two garter snakes now and being bitten by a tick, spring can’t be far off. Time to patrol those county roads and boat landings to pick up those beer cans the dirt balls have left over winter. (No, I’m not too worried about virus on them - they date to pre-Covid days and to fail to do even that little bit to help keep our part of the world a little better is it give in to fear.) But it is best to do that before the leaves hide them and poison ivy emerges.

A sign of spring I always forget is being totally exhausted from doing not much. Then my wife reminds me that the pollen count is at max. I’m apparently not smart enough to notice that every surface is yellow.

The March wore thin on muddy steps,
no snow to hide through hemlock knees,
a frosty failure long melted off,
buds petaled away in greening trees,

an April fool stood at doorstep,
behind warmed-over joke,
vultures amassed in spiraled wake,
sun circled with corona choke

That’s a little dark.