Skills/day second boat

Did my Three Star in my Aquanaut
Yes an Aquanaut is a fine boat for learning and using skills. I did all of my training, took and passed my 3* assessment in my Aquanaut… However, I then got in my Romany and thought “THIS is the best boat to learn and demonstrate these skills!” BTW, my assessor was in a Romany.

I think the Aquanaut is a very good all round boat. I used mine for everything for a time. However, once I got my Romany, I began to prefer it for some uses. Sometimes, though any decent tool will do, it is nice to have the ‘best’ tool for the job at hand :wink:

The 16
is a bit narrower in the hips than some similar boats, by design. The thigh area is also shaped to allow for a shelf effect in addition to the thigh hooks which come in two sizes and are adjustable.

I’m a solid 210, 5’ 10" and fit the boat easily. It’s a performance fit for big water. Some like a lose fit, so it all depends. No right or wrong.

satisfaction

– Last Updated: May-13-09 9:52 AM EST –

My initial post was perhaps not written well, indicating that I wanted a second boat because of some assumed limitations of the Aquanaut LV. That is not the case and although I've only paddled the boat several times, I sense it is a fantastic all purpose boat that I could be happy with as an only boat-for trips, instruction, camping, etc.

In reality, my pondering of a second boat is based more on the proceeds from the hopeful sale of another kayak, and keeping those funds within the paddling possessions vs. watching the money quickly disappear for home or yard items. Based on many of the serious enthusiasts I paddle with, most own a sixteen foot day boat along with longer Aquanaut type boats and the Romany is one often suggested. While the cash is available, I ponder a second boat that might offer some desirable attributes on its own but not supplementing for some deficiency in the LV. I hardly know the LV yet, having paddled it three times in 40 to 45 degree water. Thus, I have paddled it cautiously without "playing " in it.

Some play will be possible tonight in a pool session, trying to succeed in a re-enter and roll self-rescue, without the need of my aid - a small piece of foam serving as a paddle float. I have not been successful yet and desire to, not wanting to blow up an inflatable or having a chunk of foam on my deck-for self-rescue. The re-enter and roll, even with the foam, is my preferred self-rescue vs the traditional paddle float gyration.

Correct
"I hardly know the LV yet, having paddled it three times"

May I suggest that it takes hours and hours of seat time in a variety of situations before you really develop a decent understanding of a given boat. For most of us weekend warriors types, I think it takes at least one paddling season. Along the way you should develop an ease and comfort with it and that will be a bigger factor in becoming a good paddler than having a different boat to do X or Y.

skills/ dayboat
"In reality, my pondering of a second boat is based more on the proceeds from the hopeful sale of another kayak, and keeping those funds within the paddling possessions vs. watching the money quickly disappear for home or yard items. Based on many of the serious enthusiasts I paddle with, most own a sixteen foot day boat along with longer Aquanaut type boats and the Romany is one often suggested. While the cash is available, I ponder a second boat that might offer some desirable attributes on its own but not supplementing for some deficiency in the LV. I hardly know the LV yet, having paddled it three times in 40 to 45 degree water. Thus, I have paddled it cautiously without “playing " in it.”

Buy a river running whitewater boat. You can use it in pool sessions and also run rivers with it. Learning to paddle a whitewater boat will help improve your sea kayaking and it’s fun. You can buy a 10 yr old boat for a couple of hundred dollars; the newest boats have easily adjustable and comfortable outfitting that puts sea kayak outfitting to shame.

Zephyr 155
Tried it last night. Nice! Another option for a different boat!

23" ughhh
imo, for me only, 23" ughh. otherwise pretty neat.

Tried it yesterday at Paddlefest

– Last Updated: May-16-09 10:52 AM EST –

Too tall a front deck for me, thigh braces were inches away even if moved back. Composite version. Hull was reasonably responsive. Maybe the fit is better for you?

Got into a Chatham 16 again after a number of years - nice boat. Too much volume to be ideal for me, but it handled and rolled quite nicely regardless. Take a look there.

Aq LV
Martin: “The primary goals for a second boat would be short day/evening paddles, winter pool sessions, instructional skills classes, etc.”

Have you considered an Aquanuat LV? It does everything you desire, plus it is a great tourer.

Oh wait, you already have one.

Sounds like you have the “I wants”, martin. With all due respect, I’m with your wife on this one.

martin: “my pondering of a second boat is based more on the proceeds from the hopeful sale of another kayak, and keeping those funds within the paddling possessions vs. watching the money quickly disappear for home or yard items.”

Ever consider just plain keeping it in your pocket?

tideplay
you should paddle boats before you condem them outright. There is nothig wrong with 23+ inch wide boats and there is nothing sacred about 20-22" boats. No right or wrong here for you or anyone else.

Never have seen a Mariner Coaster, but just paddled the 23 inch wide Dagger Alchemy and I now have an appreciation for how a Coaster might preform. It’s the real Xciting boat!

Played in a 16 yesterday
I spent more time in a Chatham 16 yesterday at ADK Paddlefest than any other boat. I had not been in a 16 in years.

First off I fit nicely in the boat and I’m 6’ 185 lbs.

Secondly, what a great play/skills boat! I know this is obvious, but the last time I was in a 16 I didn’t have near the skills/confidence to really enjoy the boat - though even then it seemed pretty neat.

My experience yesterday confirms my memory of the Chatham 16 as a very refined Romany. Anyone who wants the legendary responsiveness combined with confidence inspiring nature for which the Romany is renowned should play in a Chatham 16!

My apologies to all who are feeling “Of course, we already knew this.”

Zephyr 155

– Last Updated: May-16-09 8:27 PM EST –

Played in a composite one yesterday at Paddlefest. Felt like a great skills/play boat. When I came back to shore Steve (Flatpick)asked me what I thought and I told him I liked how responsive it is to strokes such as bow rudders, high and low brace turns etc... only it felt awfully big (high volume) at the cockpit. He said "That's because it is!" He went on the note that it was also part of why it spins so well on edge and is so responsive etc...

I also spent an amount of time playing in poly and composite Tempest 165s and 170s. Helped reassure a paddler that a T165 is a fabulous all round boat for her - she did buy one. Steve really did get it right with the Tempest! I was glad to be able to shake his hand and tell him what great work he is doing.

I didn't get a chance to play with the Alchemy which was the neatest new boat in the minds of those with whom I attended.

Coaster is awesome provided you’re not
too heavy. In some ways the CH 16 and Coaster are more alike than the CH and Romany if you take away the ponty ends :slight_smile:

Avocet
Great boat! But maybe you need some diversity… Maybe and Anas Acuta or Pintail?."

P.S. There’s nothing wrong with having a case of “the wants.” None of us “need” a kayak, unless we live in the arctic.

That sounds kind of like
what I was thinking about today …

I think Derrick Hutchinson probably invented creek boats by leaving the pointy ends off his sea kayaks :slight_smile:

Sorry, was less than clear Wetzool
wetzool,

hey man, i can see it sounded harsh, sorry! What I should have said is Martin has been corresponding with me about how a number of these boats would be too slow for him. I don’t necessarily agree, but saw the review in Kayaker and thought OK, he will feel it is too wide and slow, that is all I meant.

My post was way not clear. Yes, I would not “condemn” a boat without experience in it for sure. And, from just seeing the review I think, like I said, it is a pretty neat boat and promising. I actually recommended to Martin he follow up on your advice as you really check out boats to the max.

:>)

unless we live in the arctic and…
hunt seals :wink:

so you were there
and didn’t say Hi?

:frowning:

steve

oh…
sorry man BUT you really needed to introduce yourself. I had NO idea that you were YOU!

:wink:

steve