Spring on Jocassee.

My grandson and I paddled this am. Put in at 10:30 and it was still in the high 70s. Gentle breeze, mountain laural in full bloom.
Saw 1 canoe, 9 kayaks , and 2 bass boats.
A perfect morning.

Great to hear you got out!

Looks like it was a beautiful day. Hope your back held up well on the trip. We’ve had some windy days as you know.

I didn’t push it and it didn’t bite, yet. Tomorrow morning will tell the tale. Doesn’t matter, I’m going anyway.

That sure is a pretty place to paddle, string. Good that you’re having fun on the water!
To make your days even more enjoyable, it’s been 30 degrees colder than normal here and yesterday 5.5" of snow fell in Marquette, MI. We’ve just had rain all week.

Beautiful.

The spotted bass shall flee en masse,
spawned eye of isle arises,
to gaze cross lake with surface slaked,
charged Duke of Drought appraises,

some weathered pine tilt in recline,
with man hoodoo in lee,
many Oconee Bell drowned neath her swell,
rise and fall in Jocassee

@Rookie said:
That sure is a pretty place to paddle, string. Good that you’re having fun on the water!
To make your days even more enjoyable, it’s been 30 degrees colder than normal here and yesterday 5.5" of snow fell in Marquette, MI. We’ve just had rain all week.

I don’t derive enjoyment from others’ misery. Even Yankees. B)

@string said:
My grandson and I paddled this am. Put in at 10:30 and it was still in the high 70s. Gentle breeze, mountain laural in full bloom.
Saw 1 canoe, 9 kayaks , and 2 bass boats.
A perfect morning.

I need to get that boy a Tilley.

Tilley is sooo Toronto patrician!

Floppy Boone seems quite fetching against those Appalachian downslopes. Although, something in perhaps a Mossy Live Oak Breakdown camo, dangling a swamp holler critter’s former stern appendage might prove more to the local fashionistas’ tastes. Perhaps even worthy of rekindling one of those 200-reply debate threads of rudderlessly skegged “Net” yore.

Ohhh, for the ole Coffee stomping grounds of yesteryear.

Although this area retains some of its historical earmarks , they are few. We are now one of the fastest growing areas in the country.
Far more yuppies than farmers. Finding a native is almost unusual.

Hey; I remember that Island !
Love the beauty of that lake!

Nice to be on such a big lake without many other boats. I used to paddle on Keowee when visiting my in-laws in Seneca. As I recall if you leave in the morning and hang out in the coves you may be surprised by serious wind and waves on the main lake when it’s time to head back.

@TomL said:
Nice to be on such a big lake without many other boats. I used to paddle on Keowee when visiting my in-laws in Seneca. As I recall if you leave in the morning and hang out in the coves you may be surprised by serious wind and waves on the main lake when it’s time to head back.

@TomL said:

The closer to noon, the higher the wind. I try to go early or late. Jocassee is in a bowl so wind can come from any direction.

Best stay near the shore. Trees block some of the wind and it feels like you’re getting somewhere when you paddle.

@DrowningDave said:
Best stay near the shore. Trees block some of the wind and it feels like you’re getting somewhere when you paddle.

If a widow Maker doesn’t get you. I always see trees that the lake has undermined that are barely hanging on.

How about not that close?

I’ve always thought if the wind wants you, it will get you. And always expect it on Jocassee.
My first canoe was a Wenonah Voyager, designed as a high volume , fast solo. It was great as long as the wind was fore or after but hit a crosswind and the battle was on.
To be fair, I never put enough weight in it . My 200# wasn’t enough.
A fellow p.nutter has it now and uses it for camping. And trys to avoid cross winds.

I’m always in an open canoe with a dog. I remember launching at my in-laws’ cove and just going to the next cove over which required only about 200 yards on the main lake. Hours later (apparently well after noon) the wind was strong and blowing straight towards the concrete riprap shore. We paddled right past a fisherman that just stared at us because with 3-4 foot waves we actually dropped out of his sight a few times. We may have looked calm but we were definitely right on the edge of swamping…but Mother Nature let us off the hook. Your sea kayaks look like the right boats for that water.

We had a get together at Jocassee in October a few years back. A group of us went out before dawn. As we were taking out , the wind really came up.
Our group decided it was not advisable to keep paddling.
Two guys had gone out in an open canoe just before we got back in.
We heard sirens but had no clue what had happened.
The guys in the canoe were at mid lake when the wind hit. It pushed them toward The Wall which is a cliff created when the dam was built. The canoe capsized and the boat and the guys and a boxer puppy they had along were getting pounded against the wall by the waves. The younger guy swam for help.
Luckily, a bass fisherman saw them and got help. They were all ok except for the scratches the panicked puppy gave them.