Spring Ozark Rendezvous 2024

As I sit her with Margaret and JoAnne (JoAnne is here for a visit) the subject of Spring Rendezvous came up. Since we did the Buffalo last year in the spring is there any interest in going to the North Fork of the White? I know the last view times we have been at Twin Bridges we have not been happy with the property. JoAnne and I stayed at Sunburst Ranch a few years ago and was very pleased with the property and the owners are very nice. I did message them at the end of last year and they will open April 1 and water will be on. Tent sites are $ 10.00 per person per night. They also have some electric sites but I’m not positive on cost of those. Only “downfall” with them is their is no shade as they lost all of their trees in the big flood and they do not have a restaurant but Dora isn’t that far. I know last year we moved it to the second weekend of May, do we want to go back to the first weekend which would be May 1-5 or go with May 8-12? Because of lack of vacation time as we are going to Glacier in August I will arrive Wednesday evening and paddle Thursday-Saturday and come home Sunday. If others what to do another river speak up, I think most are open! Looking forward to seeing everyone on the river soon!

2 Likes

I’d definitely be interested in doing the North Fork. Certainly not opposed to other places though. Looking forwards to whatever we land on.

As I approach my 77th I am experiencing multiple medical issues (!) so am delaying travel plans. If traveling I will go wherever the group is gathering and will want electrical hook-up for my trailer… Would Pulltite and the Current/Jacks Fork be a considered alternative?
Brad

The museum at which I volunteer is scheduled to have our first tank ride that first Saturday of May and we will probably need to get the tank out for a shake-out and troubleshooting run sometime earlier that week, so the second week would work out better for me.

The North Fork of the White and Sunburst Ranch are fine with me.

Ok, then we can plan on May 8-12 at the North Fork of the White River camping at Sunburst Ranch.

I’ll reach out to the owner the first of April to see if we need to make official reservations or because of the time of year it is we can just show up. I know tent sites are $ 10.00 per person per day. I know they have some electric sites, if you are looking for an electric site please contact them directly. They are technically closed for winter but the owner may respond to email.

1 Like

I’m really really going to try and not let other things interrupt my spring trip with everyone. Hope its a tad drier this spring than it was during our last visit there.

Apon reviewing the site and its restrictions… it appears the the Sunburst Ranch may not take kindly to our shuttle vehicles using their beach facilities???

They just ask that you not park cars at the landing. The landing is right there at the campground, so if you leave cars at the campsites you can just walk up to them to get your car. I have stayed here and used the landing with no problem, also considering we are going early in the season we shouldn’t have an issue but I will confirm with the owner Stephanie when I message her at the beginning of April. Thanks for the heads up!

1 Like

Pam,
Thx for clearing that up. - Jim (Snarv)

Just this moment got my computer back up and running after three weeks… but if folks want to try Sunburst Ranch, I’m game. (Of course I’ll have to locate it first…) Do we need to make reservations now, or what’s the deal?

Pat - I will reach out to the owner the first week of April to see if we need to make reservations or just show up as that time of year I wouldn’t think they are that busy. They don’t open until April 1st. I’ll keep everyone updated. It will be here before we know it and I’m so ready!

1 Like

I would love to join you! BTW I’m not purple canoe anymore cuz I traded it but the canoe is still in the family—Pat Canon has it! I’ll see if I can change my name. Maybe I’ll just go as Rena…

2 Likes

Hello everyone, it has been quite a while since I have been in touch, much less have a chance to paddle with you all… I am still volunteering with national parks… Currently at Joshua tree, national park in Southern California… Coming back to South Texas mid April and looking for some paddling time… Rena told me about the group still meeting up and it looks like you’re going to be at Twin Forks this coming early May… Would like to join up with you all during the time of May 8-12… I will look at getting a campsite with my little travel trailer at Sunburst Ranch… Looking forward to seeing you all… As I make my way up to Missouri, I will stop and paddle on the Buffalo River before arriving on May 8… Please let me know if there is anything else that I need to take care of!! Looking forward to all!!

2 Likes

You can tell it has been a while… My error in designating Twin Forks… Had to re-look again at the information. The north Fork of the white is the designated River to Paddle… Hopefully I have the dates and location correct if not, please please put me on the path for correction… Thanks, Anita

Anita,
So good to hear from you, look forward to seeing you again! Yep, North Fork of the White is the river and Sunburst Ranch is the campground. Sunburst doesn’t open until April 1 but she maybe checking email if you want to email about an electric site. I’m sure we’ll paddle the North Fork and Bryant Creek.
See ya soon!
Pam

1 Like

Anita,
Have been wanting for some time to paddle the Buffalo again but life just kept getting in the way. I’m pretty sure i can make the "Rendezvous " this year and could be interested in joining you on the Buff to have some company & ease shuttle expenses. Im good with both short & longer multi day trips. What were you contemplating for dates and trip length, and would you mind a fellow paddler joining you?

• Snarvol
    PS, I used to enjoy Joshua Tree during the fall & spring in the late 60’s & early 70’s when I lived in S. Cal. I’d bet that it’s changed a lot with increasing public pressure and regulations. Is the Johnson Ranch still in existence just out of town a short distance?

I’m putting this in my calendar, motive to get a kayak rack. Miss padding

1 Like

Look forward to seeing you Vicky!

Updated information regarding Sunburst Ranch. I emailed the owner to find out about using the landing and if we want to use the landing it will cost $10 per boat per each time to use it but there is a cabin that they rent with the landing and it is booked at least for that weekend we are there and we can NOT use the landing at all since we are private boaters when that cabin is rented. Sunburst Ranch is only another mile down from Blair Bridge, so not using their landing I don’t think is a deal breaker unless you wanted to start there, we don’t typically go further down than Blair Bridge as it is. I know we have done PP to Dawt in the past but we haven’t done it in years as it is a lot of flat water, I would rather do Bryant Creek. We also DO need to make reservations for tent camping or electric camping as they consider it their busy season (I seriously doubt we’ll see that many people, we usually don’t). So we need to make a decision if everyone is ok still staying here knowing that we can’t use the landing. Please post your opinion. Thanks!

Well, I guess I could live with using the Blair landing - though the steps there are a tad inconvenient as I recall. I can get along with most any campground, though its getting about time to make reservations - but where? We should decide something pretty soon. If its on the Northfork whatever the decision is it can’t be too far wrong, barring floods.