Suffering in Florida

You need to do whart a zillion other
Floridians do and that is come to the NC high country mountains for the summer.

In my local church, in the summer, our congregation doubles and all the vehicle plates are Florida.

I do just the opposite. -Stay here for the spring summer and fall, and then hitch up my little cabin on wheels and head to South florida and the Keys for the winter.

Retirement is good !

cheers,

jackL

You’re right, Jack
I’d love to do that. Maybe one day.

I guess I should shut my whinnie mouth and be glad that I have at least 8 months of great paddling weather.

Even the summer here is much, much better than being frozen out or not paddling at all.

You doing Florida Bay this coming fall or winter?

chad19

nice day
out surfing today… 3.5’ waves… ocean about 75… Headed back out on Saturday morning as well… Thanks for the info on the water temps… ocean temps here get up to about 80, the tidal rivers warm up at high tide in late summer… So yeah, July and August can be brutal…

Maybe it’s just me…
but I don’t find the summers here all that bad.

Sure, the sun will rip your skin off, so it’s wise to prepare for it. Other than that, we rarely get to triple digits.

On the water it almost always is breezy, and cooler than the land.

Of course, my work of choice is outdoors, so I tend to be acclimated to it.

C’mon up to central Florida, and paddle some shaded spring runs. Water temps a bone chillin’ 75d F.

I’d be happy to show you some of our favs.

Too much fun to miss.

T

Yes
Indian river Lagoon, on the way down in mid December.

Then the Keys from december 18 to the beginning of Feb, and from there to south west Fla, (Everglades, etc) until mid March, and probaably back to NC by the beginning of April.

Cheers,

JackL

NC is closed to new tourist
I went to two cold water springs a few years back, can’t remember the names correctly…Wacassi or Wishie Washa and something like Homasasisis. The air was hot, the water was cold, the paddling was okay but uneventful.

Anyways, I am sure there are more cold water springs to try.

It’s a cliche for a reason
"It’s not just the heat, it’s the HUMIDITY!"

You’re right in that the actual heat in Florida isn’t that bad compared to a lot of other places. After all, we are surrounded by a whole lot of water that keeps us relatively cool on the thermometer.

But it’s that same water that surrounds us that also keeps the humidity level very high. That humidity makes it so that when you sweat it doesn’t evaporate very quickly, leaving you somewhere on the scale from glistening, to moist, to dripping. So not only do you feel hotter because your body is unable to efficiently cool itself by sweating, but you’re left all wet with sweat which can definitely be uncomfortable.

Thankfully, there’s plenty of watersports like kayaking, where you can enjoy the outdoors while having the ability to take a dip now and then to wash off the sweat and quickly cool off.

Sorry, but you’re a Wimp!!!

– Last Updated: Jun-19-09 3:04 PM EST –

:D :D :D :D

I lived in South Florida for 8 years, and it was never hot enough not to paddle. In fact, most of the summer the temp is in the low or mid 90's.

Two years ago, I moved to North Georgia (Atlanta). @#$%$!@Q where I have to deal with 4 months of winter with temps in the mid teen's and mid twenties too often --6 snow falls last year, hate snow! and North GA is located in the South where is supposed to be hot!; on the other hand, 3 months of hot summers with temp above 100 more often than not. My first summer in GA, the temp "feels like" reached 115 -wanted to die!

Of course, I keep paddling not less than 4 to 5 times a week year round if my job allows!

Paddle on...

heh, you’re not kidding.
The relentless humidity makes it about impossible to train at the correct intensity down here, especially if you’re trying to peak for August/September races. But, it is tolerable for general paddling and a small price to pay for the 6 months of perfection from November-April.

It is definitely nicer here than the interior south, like up around Valdosta, in the summer.

We’re having unusually hot weather right now with highs in the upper 90’s and heat index between 105 and 110 but that is not the norm, plus I can go to the coast in the evening and the temp on the ocean will be back down to 82 with a breeze.

I am just jealous :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:
FL is such nice place to paddle most of the time: the rivers, the Atlantic, the Gulf,…

I love Florida summers,
paddling at daybreak with mist on the water, the heavy noonday heat, the afternoon thunder, lightning and cooling rain, the long twilights, the velvet feel of the air in the evening, just sitting on the porch with a good book and a glass of iced tea and scratching your bug bites—summer in Florida. Wouldn’t live anywhere else.

I’d like it a lot better
I’d like it a lot better if it didn’t screw up training. When the dewpoint is 75F like today you have to train at much lower intensity to keep your heart rate in the correct zone and keep from overheating. This severely reduces the effectiveness of the workout.

Plattsburg, NY
I thought you said winters in Plattsburg were your favorite?

I know
the current season is always my favorite, and so is the river I’m paddling.

When you’re really, really hot and thirsty, which is better, a chilled crisp slice of sweet watermelon, or an ice cold beer in a frosted mug?

It is 95 right now, and heaven only knows what the heat index is. The air feels thick when you breathe it in. Vermont canoes won’t melt, will they?

Went out friday and saturday
and plan to go out sunday.

i just can’t take it anymore – sitting inside. it’s either paddle or go crazy.

had a great time at the beach, not too terrible hot. the wife and i had a picnic and stayed on the water from 10 am to 2 pm. needless to say we’re exhausted, but it was fun.

chad19

We got out
from 8 to 10:30… really nice… got up to 98 today… back down to 89 next week… burrr…

The West Florida Canoe & Kayak Club
paddled today near Brewton, AL on Burnt Corn Creek. We took lots of swim breaks. We went to the Blue Berry Festival in Brewton after the paddle. Now that was hot. I saw 101 degrees on one Bank sign and 104 on another. I bought a sno cone and headed for the air conditioned Jeep.

HOT
Went out on the upper Hillsborough today around 2:30.

launched at Trout Creek and headed north thinking there would be shade. Found some where the river narrowed about 1/2 way through. The shade was nice and there was a breeze.

It was hot, but manageable. Went through my water bottle pretty quick. On the way home went past a thermometer at a Walgreens, and it said 114 degrees!

It sure is
I went out Friday at 1:30 for an hour, Saturday from 10 to 2:30 and sunday morning from 7 to 10.

It was hot, and I’m about to fall asleep at my work desk, but worth it.

chad

this morning

– Last Updated: Jun-22-09 10:28 AM EST –

Daybreak on the St. Johns. Temp 82F with a dewpoint of 79F. Dewpoint over 75 is nuts. This is weird weather having the big high pressure over the gulf coast states with a continental airmass getting advected down the peninsula. Usually the big high pressure sets up over Ohio or the Atlantic and we have deep layer onshore flow with a clear humid maritime airmass down here. Instead we've got nasty haze like Georgia and Alabama.

Oh yeah, and with full sun and no storms the brown water is heating up. The river this morning is 30.5C (87F). I measured Lake Beresford at 34C at 4pm Saturday before I decided to take the surfski over to the beach instead of attempting a k1 workout. The ocean off New Smyrna is running about 83F and the water is the clearest I've ever seen it over there. It was a little dirty in close but about 1/2mile out it almost looked like gulfstream water.