Suffering in Florida

This morning
at 0600 the hot air felt like a wall when I left my condo (central Florida), but over at the Chassahowitzka it was very pleasant, good wind blowing off the gulf, cool spring runs.

The west wind is blowing through here right now, but it’s just hot air. I may have to turn the AC on tonight.

Dittos w/ tjalmy up about the springs.
I don’t care how hot or humid it gets, get me on a river with lots of springs and I’ll take on 100*f and over 90% humidity as long as I’m spring-hoppin’ with some shade. Camp in FL during the summer when the morning lows are over 80 degrees w/ high humidity? You bet! I sleep in my big barge of a canoe over a spring vent tied off between two trees. Due to the ambient air temps over the spring the only people sleeping better than me are inside w/ air conditioning and they can’t fall asleep to the sounds of the FL wilderness at night. Ahh… nature’s lullaby!

Don’t paddle hard, paddle smart!

I might be sleeping there real soon.
After having served me well over 26 years of great service my a/c kicked the bucket just this week. A good friend is willing to replace the entire unit for repairs to his 2 canoes & his wife’s kayak. While I’m having to wait until he gets some free time for the install I think I’ll take out the canoe, tie it off over a 71*f spring and sleep a lot better than I am right now in this old wood-frame house with no a/c!

you must be kidding
I just got back from Northern Ontario about a hundred miles north of North Bay.

I had eight days of over 90 degree days with sweltering humiditiy.

Those of you who think Canada equals cold have not been there…

and the Artic is even worse…it can be 100 degrees one day and freezing the next.

Well, snowbird,
you should stay in Florida year-round;^)

So far this week I’ve had cool mornings on the Chaz(paddled with mphelps and some of his friends—he has a beautiful Curtis Nomad) and Rock Springs Run; some people are even camping on the Suwannee in the summer, but I’ll wait till Fall.

What part of Florida do you call home in the winter?

As much as I love Florida,
I have to admit this video makes me want a Vermont vacation:

http://vermontvacation.com/vtspotlight/

Hey Rob, is that the Encore?

Yep
Clear coat, Kevlar, Encore with Aluminium gunwales.

We do get some sun and worm weather up here.

HTFU
Set your alarm for 5:30 am, and get out and paddle early. That’s how I beat the heat in summer. Although I agree with you that high heat and humidity can be oppressive, you gotta work around it. However, I must say I am pretty pleased with NC weather when it comes to paddling (and cycling).