Tempest 165 vs. Tempest 170 ?

you weigh 239 kilos???
:slight_smile:

don’t care what nobody says. maneuverability and quickness in the 165 vastly different from the 170…for me.

Paul

Hi Terry :slight_smile:

– Last Updated: Jan-20-07 10:55 AM EST –

Tempest 165 on E-Bay for $910. A shop in Easley, SC was closing and selling off their last kayaks.

>>Wow.. Lucky you!... I you've got a brand new one, huh :)... I tend to like new stuff, mainly because not being an expert, I might buy the wrong thing, especially at a distance.

>>I believe it retails for $1550, but I've heard you can get it 20% less if you wait for the right sale... So I will keep my eyes open.

I've paddled a lot of different kayaks but so far the Tempest is the best fit (for me) by far and the most fun. I'm paddling about 25-30 miles a week in the Gulf ever since I got mine and the biggest "problem" is wanting to stay out in it instead of going to work. Definately try it out before buying. Good luck on getting a good price and have a ball!
Terry

>>Good to know I am buying the righ one!... I will have fun too :)
Thanks
Rique

Hmmm weight…

– Last Updated: Jan-20-07 11:40 AM EST –

Well let's see, I am 200lbs now... and working toward and "svelte" figure of 180 lbs.

Boat capacity per you: 325 Lbs

325 - 180 = 145 lbs left fro cargo

Questions:

A- Is 145 lbs enough to pack stuff for overnighters?

B- If using the boat at 325 lbs capacity, does it perform acceptably? or is it already a "submarine" as you put it? :)

Thx

Rique

dont forget if you are using the kayaks for an expedition kayak dont forget to take the weight factor in to mind. I weight 239 kg and when i packed my 30 lts of water, well guess what my submarine was hard to push until the weight got done. According to Willderness systems the boat can only handle 325 pounds

Ahhh… The designers speak
Boy this is great to hear this facts from people who make them :slight_smile: Thanks!

Ok, I will try it, thanks.
Although, how could I ignore all these wonderful recomendations from people who actually use or have used many boats? :slight_smile:

I’ll tell you, I am ready to buy! :)… just a question of finding the right deal.

Thx

just
remember…you only asked about the 2 sizes of the Tempest…If you had asked about 2 different QCC’s The QCC cult would have answered…and that would be what you would have decided on

You still haven’t paddled them, always need to try out the “Character” of a boat first, and see if it matches your “Character”

Best Wishes

Roy

Roy you are scaring me! :slight_smile:
You still haven’t paddled them, always need to try out the “Character” of a boat first, and see if it matches your “Character”

You know, I understand what you are talking about, on anything!.. like a wine “connoisseur,” fine tuned skills come from from time and experience. Unfortunately, I am a dumb beginner who already accomplished a huge leap by going from the secure, comfortable Tsunami line to something that will allow me to grow my skills a little more with practice, the Tempest.

If this boat is good enough for all the people who have given me very positive feedback on it (here and in other forum), some of them with lots of experience… Then It should be more than adequate for me. Besides, the price is right and that also very important for me :slight_smile:

And yes, I will do the smart thing and try them on the water before buying… Thank you :slight_smile:

Rique

DEMO, DEMO, DEMO,
Ever talk with people that own certain cars? Most owners love their car, does that mean you will also? Ever buy a car without looking at it and taking a test drive? Take the boats for a paddle and you decide what you like.

nah, just get it
sure it won’t be big enough if you add 100lbs of stuff but for day paddling +50lbs it’s perfect. I bought a Mariner Express having never paddled it and it was a fine choice. Just get it and have fun.

Demo demo demo
I currently work in the industry as an Instructor/guide and i always get asked what boat do i think. The answer I give; Every boat has its own chararistics and is different in many ways for different people. The only way is Demo demo and demo.

If we were all the same and boats all the same how boring.

like a good women always try before you buy. you may regret it…

Rob

Back to SQUARE ONE? People pls review.

– Last Updated: Jan-20-07 11:07 PM EST –

LeeG,

One day of paddling is not a big deal... But I want more than that... I am not the type that changes things very easily or often, so I want to MAKE SURE I get the boat it meets my needs right from the start.

I want to do some overnighters and even a two nighter occasionally (3 day/ 2 nigh trip)... That means I will need more stuff than "just a day of paddling," WONT' I?

The other unknown at this point (dont't you hate being a "newbie" at anything? LOL), I don't have an idea of HOW MUCH weight does the "equipment" requires for an overnighter (camping one night), But I know I would need at least a Tent, Sleeping bag, extra clothing, hygine, food, water and so on. I'm sure there must be a 'magic' number by now in order to know what kind of boat you need, no?

Since I am starting from "0," I would get everything as light as possible, and I would take only what is necesary to sleep comfortably, etc. It is also very likey I will do these trips with a local club I am getting involved with (cpakayaker.com), the best we have around here as I understand it.

I will meet them for an initial class in about a month from now and I am sure they will answer a lot of my questions, but I don't want to wait that long... I alredy decided on the Tempest, the only thing I need to know is IF THE T165 can carry the equipment I need... Or should I even consider the T170 then?

"..I would like thought, to do some overnight touring, or even a three day/2 nights tour, on other locations of course, but I seriously doubt anything longer than that. I also doubt I will do more than 3 overnighters this year. Next season, who knows."

Again, I appreciate and enjoy your comments very much :)

TIA.

Rique

If you want to learn about camping
with your kayak, and have a month before the group meets, you might check out the archives here for tips,or get a basic book from the library on it. There are lots of titles such as “Savvy Paddler” by Doug Anderson,and many excellent books on kayak touring available.These will fill you in on the basics (and more) and give a LOT of data in a short time to help you make decisions. The nearest kayak store might connect you up with a person who camps who can answer a lot of questions and recomend some specific gear. Pleas DON’T just start buying gear randomly or a kayak without at least trying them first, unless you have an unlimited budget and storage space. Take the time you have and read up or chat with locals who can show you the items and how they are used. You’ll save a lot, have the equipment you need, and can use the saved cash to get the best paddle, kayak etc.

This
brings up an interesting point to think on too…

The paddle is just as important a decision as the boat. As you buy boat after boat , the paddle you have travels with you. either as your main paddle or as a spare.

SOOOO

study the paddle aspect too and buy the best you can, it will probably be with you at least as long as any boat and if proberly sized etc…may travel with you longer than any 3 boats.

Best Wishes

Roy

Oh and about the boat size…If it feels good when you paddle it…they all have enough room to camp out of for just a few days. It’s just that the less room, the better gear (smaller/lighter) you need.

(not ment to scare, just ment so you make an informed opinion and buy what you like, not what someone else likes)(our passions in boats and equiptment have many differant roots and ends)

I
forgot to mention…whatever paddle you have or decide to buy. Use the same paddle to test any boat that you test.

That way your opinion of the tested boat is of just the boat and not shadowed by one place giving you a paddle to use for the test, that either fits you better or fits you worse than some other dealer does.

As a new paddler , sometimes the enjoyment of a really fine paddle can be transfered to the enjoyment of the test of the boat. It’s not fair to the boat to change anything but the boat for the test.

Best Wishes

Roy

239 kg = 525 lbs
there’s 2.2 lbs/kg, so that “might” be a mistake.

The heaviest item you’ll probably carry on an overnight would be drinking water. Figure 8 pounds/gallon. If there’s water available at the campground, that helps considerably. Two man tents are light, small cookstoves (depending on fuel), food, hygiene items, add it all up - and there’s your cargo in excess of normal safety necessities. I can’t imagine taking 125 pounds of “stuff” but then again, I’d rather sit on a stump or driftwood log than pack a chair…just personal comfort/preferences…

… and now the PADDLE!.. :slight_smile:
Thank you for your advise.

Yes I’ve seen the “Savvy Paddler,” and others at Borders. Actually I am not ready for camping or buying camping equipment yet. I brought the subject up, simply, to point out I need a Kayak that has enough room to store it, that’s all. (NO, no unlimited budget here:)

And now the PADDLE! :)… That is another one I have to deal with, not to mention a dry suit for next winter!.. Oh well, I will keep reading and spending more time here in paddling.net.

Thank you.

Rique.

max capacity listed for 165 is 300 lbs
just checked WS site and they indicate max of 300 for the 165 and 325 for the 170. WS also indicates the 165 is for “smaller framed” paddlers and the reviews of this boat on p.net are all by paddlers much smaller than you are now and your 180 lb goal. So yes - demo both.

most paddling is day paddling
you won’t carry more than 50lbs for a few nights camping even carrying your own water.

I weigh 200 and think the T165 is perfect for my weight and the T170 is too big for day paddling should winds pickup given it’s weathercocking/windage.

WIth the 165 you sink the boat down in the water enough to connect it to the water. If you were concerned about light weight you’d be getting a composite kayak.

The problem is that you are looking for definative answers when the opinions given are outside your experience. If you are unsure about the 165 you could be unsure about a half dozen other kayaks and no one will know, not even you, until you get out on the water with it to discern the differences that will matter to you.

gotta start somewhere. For your height the 165 is ideal, you’re at the upper end for paddler weight but that’s much better than being at the middle end and being in a kayak that’s on the deep side for your height.

Ahhhh…
LeeG,

You won’t carry more than 50lbs for a few nights camping even carrying your own water

Ahhh… “a few nights,” that is key statement. And you’re right, since I don’t know much about this, it doesn’t take much to throw me off

I was confused when you said 50 lbs for “ONE day of paddling” (paraphrasing)… so I was thinking, hmmm 50 lbs seems like a lot for just one day… so where in heck I will put in the stuff I need for camping for one night? or even two?

:slight_smile: do you follow me?

I feel reassured even more by your assertion, since all I need is enough room for 3 days/2 nights trips. I really doubt I will go for anything longer than that.

I had also read the literature for the T165… And they do indeed list this boat as having enough room for more than one day, as described below:

“…For full-day and multiday expeditions in a wide variety of weather and water conditions…”

______

I weigh 200 and think the T165 is perfect for my weight and the T170 is too big for day paddling should winds pickup given it’s weathercocking / windage.

I see, the larger the boat, the more weight needed to keep it under control in rough conditions or make sink just right

______

With the 165 you sink the boat down in the water enough to connect it to the water. If you were concerned about light weight you’d be getting a composite kayak.

Hmm… I DON’T understand this statement. Why would I be concerned about “light weight?”

Are you saying that IF my weight (also 200 lbs now) and the camping gear would sink the T165 too much… THEN, I could consider a lighter boat (i.e. of composite) so that I would float higher with the same amount of gear?

Sorry again… these variables probably are very logical for the experienced paddler, but not for me yet.

______

The problem is that you are looking for definitive answers when the opinions given are outside your experience. If you are unsure about the 165 you could be unsure about a half dozen other kayaks and no one will know, not even you, until you get out on the water with it to discern the differences that will matter to you.

YES, I want absolute, definitive answers - LOL.

But not to worry… You answered my main concern already. I am sold on the T165 (for my first boat). Last year i was late in the game and did very little paddling. This year it will be different… I will be ready to get on the water as the conditions are favorable and start paddling like CRAZY! :slight_smile:

______

…gotta start somewhere. For your height the 165 is ideal, you’re at the upper end for paddler weight but that’s much better than being at the middle end and being in a kayak that’s on the deep side for your height.

EXCELLENT! :)… Although I plan to go down to 180 lbs eventually. LOL :slight_smile:

So if next year I am too “light” for this boat, I will sell it and get another one.

THANK YOU AGAIN FOR YOUR HELP!

Rique.

Thanks for input :slight_smile: