Thanksgiving turkey or not?

Is turkey still on the menu for you?

I know people who do not like turkey, people who like it but choose to have something very different (sushi), people who like it but don’t want to cook it and aren’t going somewhere else for turkey (I’m in this category). My husband and I went for dim sum on T-day and Xmas when we lived closer to a big city. The dim sum restaurant was packed with people even on those days!

Now we just stay home. I am, however, baking whole wheat bread tomorrow. Made the dough tonight and it is proofing in the fridge.

What I miss is the old times (my 20s), when my cycling buddies and I would do our ritual Thanksgiving morning ride. Yes, we were all single bike nuts. There was also a New Year’s Day ride, unless a blizzard was raging.

3 Likes

It used to be high school football in the morning. Then it was a Thanksgiving morning paddle. Now we go to church, and I do a Black Friday paddle instead. We got some rain on Tuesday, so I am hoping that the rivers will hold until tomorrow and I’ll be able to get out in my whitewater boat. (We always try to get out and paddle on New Year’s Day.)

For us, it has to be turkey – with clam stuffing. I make my grandmother’s cinnamon rolls and my aunt’s fudge. My mother makes the apple pie, I make the pumpkin and chocolate cream. There will be plenty of left-overs.

Whatever you like to eat and like to do, I hope everyone has a great Thanksgiving.

1 Like

Turkey for us, and I enjoy making the feast.

Happy Thanksgiving everyone!

3 Likes

Yes, still turkeys here, in more than just the eating sense.

I smoked two of them yesterday, so there might be some leftovers, but our guest list is almost to pre-pandemic levels, so I doubt it.

2 Likes

Turkey for us. Family coming over. That is the best part. Food takes a distant second

1 Like

For many years I served buffalo the American meat for Thanksgving. I cooked it on a fire in a Dutch Oven. The women cooked in the house, and the men cooked on a fire. Now it seems like a lot of work for a big crowd.

I have found some good restaurants with a great buffet. They usually have ham which I like better and lots of smoked salmon. This year we will be going to a big gathering and have turkey, so I made some good cranberry sauce. My family is small now so I spend Thanksgiving with friends.

One of my favorite T Day memories was outside Spokane,WA. We had a rural location. My neighbors invited me to go deer hunting on the morning of Turkey Day. We got in the back of a pick-up and went to the top of the local mountain. We walked back to the house. By 11 Am we had two mule deer hanging in my friend’s barn.

1 Like

We’re having homemade vegetarian lasagna which is a tradition at our house. Plus my first attempt at kolaches for breakfast.

Plus the sun is out and it’s not that cold. Hmmm.

2 Likes

My wife starts baking the turkey at 5am so by the big meal I’m ready for ham.

1 Like

I’m in this category too. Turkey is fine, but by the time it’s done the smell is getting old fast, and picking the carcass afterward is not my idea of fun. Once the kid’s left home it didn’t seem worth the bother. The traditional sides (cornbread/sausage dressing, green bean casserole, butternut squash, home-made cranberry/orange relish and such) are still on the menu, but I can get yummy smoked turkey thighs from a local meat market if so inclined.

2 Likes

I am a mad scientist in the kitchen, so I like to cook turkeys in ways different from most.

I brine them with a base of 2 quarts of veggie broth and add a lot of orange zest (because I am a Floridian) Then I smoke them breast down so the juices from the dark side seep down into the light side.

Eight people have told me that they are the best turkey they ever had, and I know what is in them versus a Butterball, where I have no idea of the ingredients.

2 Likes

Good morning to all here, and happy Thanksgiving.

I am thankful for the nicely seasonal weather we get today. Not warm, not wintery cold, partly cloudy and, so far, calm.

And for those who are OUT PADDLING TODAY, I am so jealous!

2 Likes

Full thanks honey!

Happy Thanksgiving :turkey: how fortunate are we in this country.

4 Likes

Lots of veggies, turkey and ham , and pecan pie.

4 Likes

Enjoyed Thanksgiving dinner at a relative’s home. About 20 people. One of the guests was a chef who also cooked. We dined on turkey, standing rib roast, lobster, shrimp, and numerous side dishes. An amazing meal. My contribution was a pumpkin pie.

We all have much to be thankful for.

3 Likes

I spatchcocked the turkey, smoked it and packed it up for our trip to R Shaefer Heard COE for the holiday. Weather cleared up just in time for outside dinner and camp fire. The Black Friday paddle was great.

I had a brother-in-law that usually had steak grilled for Thanksgiving. It often upset the other in laws. However they were more upset when I was charcoaled a turkey and the fire went out too early.

Turkey is on the menu if I am somewhere that the hosts cook it. Otherwise it’ll be something for me and maybe a friend like fancy lamb chops or fish.

Still get stuffing though, a local place makes excellent stuffing. I buy a couple of pounds and throw one in the freezer.

I had 4 friends over, first time entertaining at home since Christmas 2019, all singles like myself with families too far distant to visit for a single day holiday. It was a tradition for years before Covid that I called “Refugee Orphans’ Potluck”.

The folks from whom I bought this new-to-me house last February had remodeled the fairly small kitchen to add a countertop hob and small 24" wall mount convection oven. But they relocated their big gas range to the semi-finished basement laundry area and reconnected it. I’d moved my big butcher block kitchen work table into that part of the basement, since it would not fit the new small kitchen. This was a perfect set-up for a long roasting cycle since it was out of the way, didn’t heat up the kitchen and left the convection oven free for prepping sides and desserts. I highly recommend having this sort of “auxiliary kitchen” in the basement, something that Italian and Greek grandmas have practiced for years.

Since there were only 5 of us I opted for 2 “roast in bag” Jenny O brand turkey breasts, 2.75 pounds each (Target sells them). I have used these in past years and highly recommend them for personal or small group eating. They are pre-seasoned, cook in about 3 hours, are very tender and tasty and cleanup is a breeze, since the roasting bag contains the juices. They come with a gravy packet to mix with the skimmed drippings, but instead I chose to buy pre-made Kevin’s brand gravy (also from Aldi). It was very good and only had to be heated in the microwave. I confess I have never had great luck in making gravy from scratch – the finer points of creating roux escape me.

For stuffing side I got a couple of boxes of Aldi’s Specially Selected house brand of brioche with lemon and thyme stuffing mix , which I doctored with drippings, sauteed shallots and fresh minced sage and more thyme from the potted herb plants on my kitchen windowsill. It was delicious, and I would love to have this regularly on the menu, but unfortunately this is a seasonal product for Aldi – next year I will stock up on it before they stop carrying it.

I always roast cubed sweet potatoes for an hour (with frequent turning) in a blend of butter, lemon juice and maple syrup, which is always a big hit and the most popular leftover for guests to take home. This dish is also good with some peeled and cubed parsnips added in. You start this dish at 15 minutes of high heat to caramelize and then reduce to slow roasting for the duration,

Also got a “steam in bag” package of fingerling golden potatoes that only took about 4 minutes in the microwave, then you squish them in the bag with your hands and dump in a bowl. For a green vegetable, I sauteed French style green beans in lemon infused olive oil along with sliced Baby Bella mushrooms and sprinkled them with Aldi’s Stonemill salt-free garlic and herb mix.

Last side was a version of Waldorf salad made of Honey Crisp apples, chopped dates, walnuts and dressed with whipped cream blended with a little lemon juice and honey.

My guest brought dinner rolls, cider, a pumpkin pie, apple crisp and vanilla ice cream.

It was a perfect meal and really only took me less than a cumulative hour of direct effort, mostly cutting up the vegetables and fruit, and 4 hours of cooking, most of it in the basement. And I did not have to purge the fridge to accommodate a giant bird carcass before or in the aftermath.

1 Like

We had pork tenderloin at a friends house this year. Far better IMO than turkey, I’m not really a fan unless I can have the dark meat.

We’re sort of coming out of Covid which set in the Monday after TG. We had 27 people in the house so it was a forgone conclusion.
A lot of turkey and other food unfortunately got tossed because we just couldn’t eat anything.

We cooked a whole turkey and 2 breasts for the 26 people we had over. i had the fun job of making 20 pounds of mashed potatoes…5 pounds leftover and about 3 pounds of turkey.
Those people like to eat taters…Was a great day with family!

1 Like