the basics of short canoes.

i dont know what would be better for what i need. a malibu 2 ocean kayak, or an oldtown canoe like the pack or the dicovery 119. i need a stable boat, that one man can handle in breezy conditions, and carry 100 lbs of gear. thats exactly what i need, and of the 3 boats mentioned, what would be the best choice?

?
hmmm, as I recall, deer don’t like kayaks - they prefer canoes. But Most definitely, if you are going out on the ocean, go for the kayak. A red canoe is always the best choice - especially if given limited information from which to make an uneducated guess at your intended use. Green canoes are my second choice.

?
im not sure what ya mean…

a canoe thats
14ft long with about a 30" beam and minimum 12-13" depth.It will weigh about 45-50lbs, no more than 1.5" rocker and can track nicely for trips ,carry at least several hundred lbs or a partner in an emergency, seaworthy if conditions deteriorate and stabile for fishing or photography. I had one and I surely miss it dearly. It was a wood canvas (only canoe I would choose) by Red River canoe up in Manitoba. Anything deviated from these specs will come up short on the balances in one area or another.

You just described a Mohawk Oddysey 14!

– Last Updated: Nov-18-08 2:03 PM EST –

Well, except for the part about being made from wood & canvas :).

Oh, and the Oddysey 14 might have just a little more rocker than that (I'm not really sure), but having paddled mine a bunch, I can only imagine what a sweet ride that wood/canvas boat must have been.

He’s funnin’ with ya

I’d go with the canoe, …
…but that thing about “100 pounds of gear” would make me look for something closer to 14 or 15 feet long. That’s not to say a little 12-foot canoe can’t carry that much; it’ll just make the job harder than it needs to be. These are tough questions you ask because you are asking people who love paddling what would work “well” for a particular job, while you are trying to use the “least amount of boat” to get the job done, so there’s a conflict there. For what it’s worth, I see people doing stuff in canoes that are less-than-ideal for the situation at hand all the time, and they sure look like they are having fun.

same idea
guideboatguy, i had the same thought after i posted this, and will add this to my list:

http://www.oldtowncanoe.com/canoes/generalFamily/guide_147.html

it is heavy, i think 74 lbs, but i have handled my 174 dico by myself, so it shouldnt be a problem. is the 147 a good choice and still handle solo ok in somewhat windy conditions? thanks for the responses.

Seating solo a problem

– Last Updated: Nov-18-08 1:45 PM EST –

Unless you kneel or install a middle seat, the OT 147 with molded seats will not be good for solo. Many people sit in the bow seat facing astern to solo a tandem and the molded seats do not lend themself to that. Even with web seats, sitting in the bow seat facing astern does not trim the boat well (and wind will greatly effect it) and will require weight in the stern (now front) to trim out the boat.

You might look at the OT Pack. OT specs are well within your load range and it is light, small, fairly stable and a dedicated solo. I used to have one to fish from but found it a bit too short for my taste.

Looks okay except for the seats
The overall size and shape of that boat would probably suit your needs fairly well. The first glaring problem I see is that you can’t sit backwards on the bow seat. For solo paddling that particular boat, you want to sit a lot closer to the center than what would be the case when sitting in the stern seat. Sitting on the bow seat facing backward would work well in that boat IF you could do it, and as it comes from the factory you can’t. There’s a good chance you can install a traditional seat in place of that molded plastic seat, but I can’t with tell certainty from the photo. Another option would be to just kneel near the center with a plastic mini-cooler under your butt, padded with a boat cusion. That actually works pretty well. Use one of those coolers designed to hold a six-pack. One final thing to be aware of with that boat, is that it IS quite wide. It will be stable because of that, but it will be kind of slow, and a little awkward to paddle with a single blade (though just fine with a double blade).

more info?
Deermaster, let me ask a couple questions to help make a better recommendation. There are literally hundreds of boats that can carry 100 pounds of gear and support a hunting/fishing objective on the chesapeake bay. First, how big are you? Second, what’s your budget - choose one of these 3 price ranges: $500 (super budget, used equipment); $800-1000 (basic minimum with new gear); $1500-2000 (deluxe). Third, will you usually be alone or with others (or with a dog)? Fourth, how will you transport the boat - i.e., can you cartop an 80-pound boat (both vehicle-wise and able to lift the boat at the end of the trip). Fifth, do you have any other possible uses, such as camping, running a crab line, taking wife and kids out for occasional spin, property directly on the water, etc.?

Speaking generically, the OT 147 is an excellent workhorse boat. The molded seat problem can be handled in the short term by laying a PFD/boat cushion on top, longer term by replacing the seat with a more conventional one.

The OT Pack is a special favorite of mine for hunting and fishing. I had one that I literally wore out dragging over beaver dams and through the woods. Together with a pair of waders, you can go absolutely anywhere with it, it’s so small and light. Yet it will still carry plenty of gear. However, you probably need to be under 200 pounds to use it, so that with 100 lbs of gear the total load stays under 300 lbs.

Have you considered inflatables? These come in all shapes and sizes, and have a number of situational advantages to meet special needs. One thing that’s relevant to you, most of them would be stable enough to shoot from, while shooting from a hard shell canoe on the go might be problematic.

more specific

– Last Updated: Nov-18-08 8:30 PM EST –

price range id say 800 being about the highest. i would like as much weight capacity as i can get, cuz i may get a trolling motor, and that and a battery will add another 100 lbs or so. i way 215, and am 6'4". hunting will be bymyself, with all the gear, or two people fishing, with just rods and a tackle box, no heavy gear. i will be car topping. i have topped a 174 oldtown disco, so a 13-14' shouldnt be a prob. thanks for any more answers.
max weight i would ever have in the boat is 70-100 lbs gear, 100 lbs of motor and battery, and my 220, so 420 about max. no dog for hunting.
heres another: http://www.madrivercanoe.com/angler-14
does anyone know the average price of this one?

$800 = used boat
Deermaster, you can get good canoes in “like new” condition for that price. I paid a little over $600 for a 2-year-old Wenonah Fisherman that was almost 100% perfect. That Fisherman, BTW, is very similar to the Mad River Angler that you linked, and I like it for what I usually use it for (small lakes & streams). However, I have used it in windy conditions on a larger lake and it gets blown around pretty easy with me in it. I weigh a bit less than you, so with you and your gear and using a trolling motor it might be considerably better.

Perhaps a better choice while not giving up much, if any, in stability would be this…

http://wenonah.com/products/template/product_detail.php?IID=21&SID=e3ea7225e8fe185add96a9d1d5eb9f24

know anything about this?
anyone know about this barge? http://www.oldtowncanoe.com/canoes/huntingFishing/ambush.html

its heavy, would it be car toppable at 100 lbs? could it be paddled at this weight?

My Thoughts
With that boat, you are giving up the two-person option you had been looking for, which is something most of those other canoes you mentioned could do for you. Those other canoes you were looking at are not just more roomy inside, and they are not just lighter, but they will be easier to carry because their shape is less awkward to lift. My back hurts just looking at this new choice.

You will come pretty close to filling that boat up with just YOU. Trust me. I have a 12-foot rowboat with a lot more interior space than that thing has, and it’s the smallest boat I’d consider for any purpose (I’m 6’2", 165 pounds). Remember that your legs will be filling nearly the entire space between the seat and the front edge of that storage area, so there won’t be much space left over for your stuff.

100 pounds is terrible for a boat that is this tiny, and it’s a crime that the maker added insult to injury by providing it with about 50-percent usable volume. The main reason (only reason?) this boat even exists is because the construction method (and therefore the selling price) is cheap. I really believe any of the canoes you’ve considered would work out better for you, especially those 14-footers. It is nice that this boat has a built-in electric motor mount, but adding that capability to a canoe isn’t difficult.

Them’s are my thoughts.

here’s one
How about this one - Mad River Explorer 14 foot, 2 seat, weighs 69 lbs, $650 including shipping costs.

http://tiny.cc/fVf9M

The same place also has the Angler 14 you asked about for $999 shipped, which is the best price I’ve seen on that boat. It’s probably a better buy (being made of royalex) but this one would go easier on your budget.

Red River
Get yourself a new one. Doug posts on this board and his website is here:

http://www.redrivercanoe.ca/frames.htm

more boats
Here’s a couple more cheapies, some Old Town models, this time from Oak Orchard. These are most likely floor demo models of a prior model year, and maybe with a few scratches, but they still qualify as “new” and come with all the paper work.

Old Town Rogue, 14’, 72 lbs, $400

Old Town Sportsman, 14’, 72 lbs, $500

Old Town Sportman Square Stern (for motor), 15’, $600

shipping not included in price

http://www.oakorchardcanoe.com/canoeinventory.php#oldtown

Used boat examples
…in your area, Deermaster…

http://easternshore.craigslist.org/boa/904759220.html

http://easternshore.craigslist.org/boa/891789290.html

http://easternshore.craigslist.org/boa/920462189.html

And that’s just Eastern Shore area. Wish I had the selection nearby that you do.

thanks
thank you sir!