The unthinkable happens

Many (most?) of us are always looking for THE boat, which may be more elusive than THE SO.
To that end, I always keep the $ from the last time I sold the prior THE boat .
And then the washing machine dies. And the dryer is limping. Then my SO starts shopping. I can look for months for THE boat, but looking at laundry equipment sucks. And there goes the next boat.
Off to HD last evening . SHE found what she wanted and asked me to stand there until the sales babe( just a fact) finished with another customer while SHE looked at refrigerators.
The young woman came over and I said, " WE want these. ". Fairly painless unless you look at the cost, which is less than a decent kayak.
I typically do the laundry, so I should be happy. Doing laundry just doesn’t have the appeal of a new boat, but I know what my shirt smells like after a few hours of paddling in the heat and I like clean underwear.
I am breathlessly awaiting the new laundry pair on Tuesday.

Not sure if I should say congrats or sorry…

You have more discipline. My washing machine was recalled but I refuse to buy another one until it dies. My dryer is probably 30 years old but it still works and that’s all that counts. Who needs a dryer when it’s above freezing anyway? The wind and sun are free and clothes smell so much better.

Kayaks are different. I’ll think I’ve purchased my last kayak, then one I’ve really, really wanted to try comes along and the siren’s call is overpowering, especially if the price has been discounted.

I don’t think my priorities are skewed. Paddling creates happy experiences and memories. Household chores and repairs not so much. Besides, winters are long up here. :confused:

Well, I sure agree with letting the SO choose your next laundry pair…best to stand out of the way and be supportive when the SO is super passionate about something. I worked in the appliance business after automotive and I can’t really think of a lot of positive things to say for the consumer. There are lots of quality risks in my view, stuff that consumers would not tolerate from vehicle brands.

But most importantly, I added a boat to my little fleet recently because a rare boat came up on Craigslist, so I “had” to get it and the SO was totally supportive. You might try it…it’s not your fault if your ideal boat pops up on Craigslist and you are forced to buy it.

Tom, she has never stood in the way of another boat because they get me out of the house.

At least there is water involved with the laundry. :smiley:
Though I am not sure it can be called a sport! :wink:

It’s a good thing I’m very happy with the boats I’ve got, because I was just browsing a bit on line with one of the bigger dealers near here and they have several used, but either like new, or excellent condition for around $1200 (P&H, Valley, NDK and others). I’ve never bought a used boat, but these are too good at these prices. I can’t imagine these boats sitting around for long–even in this day; the age of the disposable pool toy.

@string said:
Tom, she has never stood in the way of another boat because they get me out of the house.

That’s funny.

I imagine that you do what I do which is basically what a little kid does when they want something. You ask the grown-up and check the reaction. The cool boat I found recently was $800 and the SO said “is that all, you should buy it”, so I did. By some crazy coincidence another rare solo pops up within a couple days…a Sawyer Summmersong which is an absolute bullet (and known to spit people out sometimes). It was only $300! My SO said “you don’t really want that boat”. So I passed. It sold quickly.

My method is to think out loud about pros and cons, places I can use it, and so on ad nauseum until she says" just shut up and buy it!"

@string said:
My method is to think out loud about pros and cons, places I can use it, and so on ad nauseum until she says" just shut up and buy it!"

This can take weeks.

I bought a new washer dryer last year… right before hurricane Irma.
This year I bought a new boat and use the laundromat…
It taught me to get my priorities straight.

I don’t buy new washers and dryers. There are several guys in town who recondition them and I have had excellent luck with used ones, most of which have lasted 15 to 20 years. The older “non-digital” ones are a lot easier to fix on your own too, the kind with dials rather than touch screens and relays rather than circuit boards. My 15 year old Kenmore dryer stopped putting out heat last year and I found a YouTube video with directions from an appliance tech on how to unstick the overheat relay in that model. Took me 10 minutes to pull the machine out from the wall, remove 4 screws, bang the relay against the concrete floor a couple of times and re-install it. Works like a charm.

I had to buy a washer and dryer to equip the rental house I bought in May – called my favorite appliance recycler and he delivered and hooked up a nice clean Whirlpool washer and GE dryer for $350 for the pair.

Meanwhile, almost every time I visit one of my family members who has a 4 year old set of those giant Samsung front-loading things I have to do some sort of repair to one or the other of them. I hope you didn’t let the SO talk you into a Samsung appliance of any kind. That company makes great cell phones but their appliances are dreck (and even the salespeople will admit that if you press them.)

Ours are working on 20 years and I’ve repaired both a couple of times . The dryer is fine; it goes to Goodwill.
The timer on the washer is out and they are pricey.
And it gave us an anniversary present for each other.

@grayhawk said:
I bought a new washer dryer last year… right before hurricane Irma.
This year I bought a new boat and use the laundromat…
It taught me to get my priorities straight.

Love it!

Easy to evacuate a kayak but look silly evacuating a washer and dryer…

We can talk. My expenses aren’t laundry-based but have a transportation theme. This morning I’m waiting for the garage door repairmen to come replace the broken spring. My car is now trapped inside. Mrs. Rex’s car is splattering some water-based liquid under the hood of her Mazda 3. It’s about the color of chocolate milk. I can’t see the source of the leak so I’ll be talking to some mechanic or another in the next few days. It’s always sumthin.

Unplug the washer when not in use and the chances that the computer components fail is much lower.

Washers aren’t exciting but clean clothes are nice. Agree about drying outside whenever remotely possible. Yes, I’m the crazy person with frozen fingers on sunny winter days.

I’m lucky in that my spouse is totally down with spending money on kayaks and equipment. When I see a nice kayak on Craigslist he’s the first to want to jump in the car and go get it, though that may be partly because I only ever show him ones that are good deals. I was quite amused when I saw a really good deal on a Brunton compass on eBay, and he practically yelled “Buy it, what are you waiting for??” Now we’re arguing over who gets it.

@Rex said:
We can talk. My expenses aren’t laundry-based but have a transportation theme. This morning I’m waiting for the garage door repairmen to come replace the broken spring. My car is now trapped inside. Mrs. Rex’s car is splattering some water-based liquid under the hood of her Mazda 3. It’s about the color of chocolate milk. I can’t see the source of the leak so I’ll be talking to some mechanic or another in the next few days. It’s always sumthin.

Sounds like water mixed with the oil. Hope not but I’ve had that happen. Check your dipstick…

Of course String…There are always those washing machines not sold at any Home Depot–And they’re guaranteed to get one’s clothes clean! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mr34XvPEPQg

@Rex said:

It always is.

@spiritboat said:
Of course String…There are always those washing machines not sold at any Home Depot–And they’re guaranteed to get one’s clothes clean!

There can be times in that type of washing machine when the shorts can get dirty!!