The worst thing about kayaking

is the schlepping! I’ve got the mounting, strapping and tie downs, the kayak cart, the lugging of gear (and the reverse sequence at the end of the paddle) down to a relatively efficient science, but if I could hire a sherpa to handle it all for me, I probably would. Just kidding. Mostly.

The worst thing about kayaking . . .
. . . is getting to the take-out.

i like to think of it
As part of the workout.

Ryan L.

LOL!
That’s the beauty of the open canoe. Happy paddles.

I Agree
Need to buy a house on an ocean, large lake or river. More paddling, less schlepping. Tim

I miss living on a lake
Coming home from work, simply moving the boat about

10 feet and climbing in the cockpit was wonderful,

while it lasted. Then the economy went kabloeey !

Now I am landlocked and do the Strap On / Strap Off

Simplify!!!

– Last Updated: Apr-18-12 1:02 AM EST –

You don't need all that gear. Buy a light boat, keep your tie downs in place. Throw it on and go.

I keep a waveski and paddle in my car. Two minutes prep to be on the water.

I still have to schlep my open canoes.
Kayaks and canoes can be carried with clamp on yokes.

This can limit what you ride
You have to buy a car or truck to fit your kayak.

Trailer ready to go
We bought a small kayak trailer from Malone. Keep the kayaks loaded on it all the time. So much easier.

Just hook up and go.

also
The paddles can get expensive.

But a guy gets to wear a skirt with little fear of being arrested.

the traveling…
…I like to boat different waters. the time /money /gas spent getting there takes it’s toll sometimes. Sometimes i do 2-3-4 day trips , combining kayak/fishing/hiking.

That’s the spirit
A light boat and the right rack with quick tie-down makes all the difference. If I can be ready to go in 15 minutes using a Mini, anyone can do it, I think. With the right gear selection, you only have to walk to the water once, with the boat and gear over one shoulder and the paddle in your other hand.

http://i97.photobucket.com/albums/l234/carldelo/SC-1%20Construction/P1040171.jpg

What paddlecraft is that?

Just being suggestive? Hidden advice?
Or are you General Help? Check out the Discussion Forum.

The worst thing about kayaking
… is that you could be canoeing :'p

Interesting rack extension
Is that a commercial innovation or your own invention?

No response yet from owners of
folders?

Setup

– Last Updated: Apr-18-12 2:39 PM EST –

The boat is a Cape Falcon SC-1, a precursor to the current model F-1. It's 14' by 23" wide, 32 pound kayak originally based on the Mariner Coaster. A really good general purpose design.

The rack system is a KayakPro EZ-Vee XL (or Plus?) mounted on factory aero crossbars (I did have to make adapters). A great system for cars with short rack separation. I have two on the car these days. The boat can be held in place using the two bungees provided, although as you can see I add straps over the bungees.

For this boat, no end tie-down is needed; for longer boats I use a bow tie down to the tow hook in the front bumper. On the Mini, the crossbars plus EZ-Vee come off as a complete unit, so it's easy to deal with, although somewhat heavy. Seven years with no problems.

http://i97.photobucket.com/albums/l234/carldelo/Cape%20Breton/RoadTrip001.jpg
http://i97.photobucket.com/albums/l234/carldelo/Cape%20Breton/RoadTrip010.jpg

Especially compared with a bike!
Biking spoiled me for sports where the mode of travel must itself first be transported somewhere else. Sea kayaking falls into that category, except when I’m right at the water already.

A trailer and a portage cart help, depending on how much difficulty the trailer itself presents (like at my home). But they are still more stuff to deal with.

What I’ve found alleviates the pain is to diversify: I started paddling a WW kayak a couple of days a week in addition to the PITA sea kayak hauling. The little kayak slips into my truck bed completely and it is light enough to shoulder-carry farther and more easily. The WW playpark practice is useful and fun, and the boat happens to work fine for rolling practice and flatwater work, too. The sea kayak rules for longer distances, speed, comfort, and carrying capacity, so I’ll put up with trailering it.