The worst thing about kayaking

Totally agree
I often wonder if dressing for the water or lugging the kayak is worse.

I agree, lugging the kayak. There are times I go bicycling rather than kayaking because it’s simpler. Plus the more experienced you are, the more junk you carry.

I was recently going out and it went to 70 degrees, I was jealous of the rec kayakers in shorts and PFDs with no care in the world.

I’m always in a lugging sport. Before this it was scuba diving. Try putting on a full wet-suit on a 90 degree day and lugging a tank and weight belt.

Stupid.

I like that set up and the boats.
My load bar separation is about 36", so I can’t get the boat supports under the bulkheads.

Something else to shop for at a bargain price.

The worst thing about kayaking…
… is days when I’m not on the water :’(

How does one person get the boat
in to those very deep saddles by themselves? That’s a lot of height to overcome.

Pretty easy

– Last Updated: Apr-18-12 6:02 PM EST –

I stand next to the driver's side door with the boat still on my shoulder, tilt it slightly stern down, put the bow in the front V, then lift the stern up over onto the rear V. I usually don't even put the paddle down.

Only one hand needed for a light boat, and works OK with a 50+ pound sea kayak. I generally load both boats from the driver's side, walking the first boat to the passenger side one end at a time, also a one-hand operation. I'm always the first one loaded, except for the guys who plunk their boat in the bed of a pickup.

PS on a cold, windy or rainy day, I can have the boat in the saddles, a couple of bungees in place and be inside the car within a minute or two, then pack up in dry clothes after warming up - it's awesome.

You must be taller than me.
At 5’6", I can just barely get boats off my shoulders on to foam blocks on my Thule racks on my sedan. It doesn’t help that my right shoulder’s been really bugging me for several months.

the drive
Having to drive somewhere in order to put the boat into the water!

Like a few others here, I came from a cycling background, where you just open the door, jump on the bike, you’re riding!!!

None of this driving to the put in business…

You can simplify all you want about the loading and hauling part, you still got the driving you can’t escape from. And even if you live on the water, you’re still limited to the distance you can cover in a day, which is not much.

I shouldn’t complain
because for the most part my boat is on a rented rack space by the river, and I can get to it pretty quickly after work. But when I want to take it somewhere else on the weekend, I have to drive a half hour through city traffic just to get to it, then pack it up, then drive another half hour just to get out of town.

Hmm, two boats would solve this problem … gotta think …

…is that it requires a kayak?

Bugs in Northern Canada
As the OP George 4809 said…

“is the schlepping! I’ve got the mounting, strapping and tie downs, the kayak cart, the lugging of gear (and the reverse sequence at the end of the paddle) down to a relatively efficient science, but if I could hire a sherpa to handle it all for me, I probably would. Just kidding. Mostly.”

Try doing all that in Northern Ontario with hords, and I mean HORDS, of blackflies, deerflies and mosquitos constantly biting and annoying you

while you’re trying to tie down your boats as fast as you can so you can jump in your vehichle and escape the onslaught. The blackfies and deerflies only last from middle May until middle July and are only out during the day. The mosquitos are morning and dusk and cloudy days and all summer long. Once you are out on the water its not bad, but when you hit shore, especially smaller laked=s and rivers, you’d better hurry…

At least I can sleep in my canoes…
'nuff said.

folder owner weighs in
Yeah, I have to say that one of the benefits of owning folding kayaks is they weigh about half what a similar dimensioned rotomold boat does and are a whole lot easier to schlep. In fact I would say the fact that my Wisper is only about 35 lbs is probably at least as important to me as the fact that it folds up for airline travel. I’ve got 9 kayaks in the family “fleet” at the moment and the Wisper and the 32 lb skin-on-frame wood/ballistic nylon boat are the ones I most always choose when loading solo. Being able to effortlessly heft and lift your kayak takes a lot of the hassle out of trips and makes me more apt to take spur-of-the moment paddles after work (I’m 10 minutes from put-in on two big rivers.)

Plus people think I’m some sort of amazon athlete when they see me nonchalantly shoulder carrying an 18’ kayak, sometimes for several blocks and up stairways to get to some of the urban riverside launch ramps.

I’ll be 62 next month and I know a number of my peers don’t use their kayaks (or canoes) as often as they would like due to the difficulties around transporting and launching their heavy boats. I don’t think many people give enough thought to that when they decide which boat to buy.

The older one gets
the more important the weight of the kayak. I wouldn’t even consider a boat now that weighed more than 40 pounds. Unfortunately, weight and expense are inversely proportional, the lighter the boat,the more it will cost.

keep your eyes peeled
I’ve paid less for my lighter boats in most cases than many people spend on heavy rotomold ones. It is not uncommon to find folks selling skin on frame boats for under $1000. I paid $700 for mine.

Even got the most recent Feathercraft for only $2200 (half its value new and it was pristine). And we picked up a 39 pound brand new Pakboat XT-15 for $1300 (I saw one sell on Ebay last year for $760).

With quality rotomold touring kayaks running from $800 to $1500 or more these days, there really is not that huge of a price differential if you watch for deals. Even new you can get a Pakboat Puffin Saco with deck for under $1100 (around 25 lbs total weight).

I calculate the “value” of a boat by how often I use it. At cost per use, my lighter boats are the most economical since I am out in them more frequently. And I didn’t have to spend $500 on a fancy roof rack load assist system and/or cart like some of my friends have. And I am sure I have saved on chiropractor sessions from not straining back and shoulder hauling.

I Envy Runners
Some shoes and shorts and off you go. The bicycle has a very nice work/play ratio. I’ll never understand horse people.

Unless you live on a lake or river
shlepping is still an inhibiting factor in kayak use especially if you’ve only got 2 or 3 hours to be on the water. I always try to make a day of it, get on the water early and paddle for about 8 hours including stops, maybe 18-22 miles. Will no longer drive more than 50 miles to a launch site. A 100 mile RT for 8 hours is barely worth it and I tend to doze off on the drive back. And, yes, A Feathercraft Wisper for $2200 is a good deal but for $4100, I can get a new boat, ‘free’ shipping and, best of all, my choice of deck color. Yes!

On the Paddlers Place Discussion
Forum this might have qualified as a divrsion, but on this forum it only shows that the OP is incapable of knowing where he belongs. As well as most of those who were sucked into commenting.

Read the guidelines for the forums. They are your friend.

The problem with paddling is I can’t
do it in my neighborhood.

if you don’t think the thread belongs
why don’t you contact the moderator and have it moved?

This IS paddling related. It’s not just about singing the praises. It’s about being all rounded and realistic. Only the mentally retarded believe there’s no downside to it, however good it is.

To stop any discussion about the negative of anything is to stop any future improvement. But I guess some people are all into maintaining the status quote and forbid all different point of view.

Hey, thanks for the condescension
I’ll try harder to live up to your exacting standards in the future.