This new format

@spiritboat said:
I’ll bet nobody’s more pissed-off about the new format than all the mega-posting windbag-“paddlers” who used to frequent the “Bicker and Banter” forum–And cripes, where’s datakol when you want to read something completely incomprehensible? >:)

Yeah I sort of miss Mr data… and i am sure the Bicker and Banter is missed by those guys too. They so enjoyed each others point of view!
I am getting to like this new forum as I learn to use it in spite of it all.

Oh goody, goody, I was able to get signed in using my phone and I was even able to get on the forums. I don’t know if something changed, or if it’s just a new day and the cyber world is working better.

@RikJohnson said:
Another I DON’T LIKE IT!
Far too many website updates are done by a computer geek who thinks it looks cool… but when non-geeks complain, the computer people cannot understand why we are unable to read their desires or unable to work our way through their convoluted system.
No website designer EVER beta-tests their design with non-computer people who are the vast majority of the readers.

I used to be able to skim down the articles to see what I wanted to read. NOW I have to open every freaking option to see it there is anything new there, then close it and open the next and so on. Maybe I don’t want to read ONLY techniques. maybe I just want to see what has been posted and maybe see a paper on technique I like but the next article will be on gear that I will pass or read.
This new system is far too complicated to navigate.

DOUBLE DITTO

@magooch said:
Oh goody, goody, I was able to get signed in using my phone and I was even able to get on the forums. I don’t know if something changed, or if it’s just a new day and the cyber world is working better.
All I get on my phone is the Picture of the day…

No way to get to a message board. Community just has the picture… and no sub headings. Safari
What is wrong?

@kayamedic

It sure is a clumsy mess.

Using Safari and iOS 10.2. When I log in from the home page, screen goes to “Update Profile.” When I select “Community,” screen shows “Photo of the Week.” - over and over again with each attempt to get into the boards. Groundhog Day.

The only way I can get into the message boards on my Apple device is because I happened to bookmark the link https://forums.paddling.com

I am just not visiting as much as before… I think there is less activity now and others may have the same issue… Or its the holidays.

I haven’t tried getting on with my phone since the last time when it worked like a charm. I thought I had better not push my luck. Most of the time I’m using a computer, or tablet and they always work. I think there must have been a few tweaks that made things much better and I’m learning to like the new deal.

I just got a new tablet and I was able to get signed in and logged on and access every thing, but it took a couple of times to satisfy the site. Once you are accepted and shown to be signed on, you have to scroll down the page until you find “Forums” on the left side of the page. Tap it and you’re in.

I will admit to being lazy when it comes to checking the new site out. I am not what would be classified as an IT guru, in fact I am far from it, but I have had no issues navigating the site. I do note that some of the regular voices are conspicuous by their absence since the launch, however, that may be because of the approaching holidays, or maybe they are in hiding so Mr. Trump does not send them back to their homeland :).

This new format is the choice of the nice people at P.com so we will have to figure out how to exist with it. I hope that refinements will come and we can all get back to bitching about the weather and how we long for open and warm waters.

Everyone have a safe and happy holiday.

It seems that both Paddling.com, and MeetUp.com have two things in common. They both changed format recently. They both show up better on the PC than they do on a phone, tablet, or other device.

@Rookie said:

Using Safari and iOS 10.2. When I log in from the home page, screen goes to “Update Profile.” When I select “Community,” screen shows “Photo of the Week.” - over and over again with each attempt to get into the boards. Groundhog Day.

The only way I can get into the message boards on my Apple device is because I happened to bookmark the link https://forums.paddling.com

Thanks for the report. I’m alerting the P.com people so we can fix the problem.

@karls said:

@Rookie said:

Thanks for the report. I’m alerting the P.com people so we can fix the problem.

Thanks Karl. I can’t seem to get to the forums on my android. Just a heads up. I really enjoy looking at the photos and posting mine. I find this a great improvement. The more I use this new site the more I like it. One other thing I have noticed is I can’t get the little gear symbol for editing to come up most of the time, and Lord knows i often need to edit! :frowning:

I use Safari on my Mac and my iPad. It was a little wonky at first, but now it works fine. Maybe I’m in the minority, but for the most part I like the new system. I didn’t care for the old thread chains that were hard to follow. I don’t have to go digging for the new posts lost in the middle of the thread somewhere. I also like the ease of attaching pictures and links. There is definitely a learning curve to navigating the forum, but it hasn’t been too hard for me to figure out and karls has been very good about answering my questions.

I do wish there was a way to post new trip reports. I haven’t seen that yet, but I think it will show up at some point soon.

@Raftergirl said:
I do wish there was a way to post new trip reports. I haven’t seen that yet, but I think it will show up at some point soon.

I’m not sure what the paddling.com folks have in mind for new trip reports, but I will definitely let them know that the feature has been requested more than once on the message boards.

I would like a way to delete classified ads, when they are no longer needed.

@castoff said:
Thanks Karl. I can’t seem to get to the forums on my android. Just a heads up. I really enjoy looking at the photos and posting mine. I find this a great improvement. The more I use this new site the more I like it. One other thing I have noticed is I can’t get the little gear symbol for editing to come up most of the time, and Lord knows i often need to edit! :frowning:

I’m pretty sure your issue getting to the forums on your android device is the same as the one @Rookie has on iOS. I’ve reported it to P.com, so hopefully we’ll get the green light to fix it soon. Are you able to get to the forums by typing in the URL directly (forums.paddling.com)?

Currently the edit feature is available for 1 hour after posting, so that might be why the gear disappears on you. We’re going to change that to allow you all to edit your posts indefinitely.

Thanks again Karl! I have long considered the edit feature to be one of the big pluses of pnet. I will try typing the url.

@karls

Currently there’s no way to add a new launch site or a photo to an existing site.

Typing the URL works like a charm. Karl you are the MAN!

@castoff said:
Thanks again Karl! I have long considered the edit feature to be one of the big pluses of pnet. I will try typing the url.

My pleasure. :smile: The edit feature should now be available for your posts with no time limit.