Toyota FJ40 Coming Soon

UNIMOGs are here in US. All I have seen

are commercial ones with cab on frame and then different service specific bodies behind. Do not know how expensive, parts avalability, etc.

Was quite surprised when first saw them here, but come to think about it, have not seen them in a few years now. Failed import trial? Very regional? Don’t know.

:^)

Mick

I’ll Put The Scion On My List
They used to make a Camry wagon which would be ideal for me. Reckon they didn’t sell.

IFS in front?
I’ll pass. IFS front and solid axle rear = master of none.

I agree with you Salty,
but what a farm impliment!

Not really a good “only” vehicle, & when I speak of “bullet proof” I mean it in a crawling thru the canyons & rocks of eastern Oregon’s high desert where I just wouldn’t want to take a normal pickup, not the million mile march.

They do have their place, & for a stock vehicle, function extreemly well in it.

I doubt the new one would do as well.

Yeah
Big diesel truck is too big for trail stuff. My cruiser with locking diffs was amazing. The air lockers took the fun out of wheeling to some extent, as the thing just went everywhere. But really, a dirt bike or a four wheeler in the back of your truck will do more off road for less $. If I lived in the Southwest I’d love an old cruiser as a toy.

Vance

– Last Updated: Jan-08-06 9:32 PM EST –

Yah the FJ60 is the wagon version. Its got 5 seatbelts and a nice rear cargo area. I'd love to deliver it to AK got $1800 plus delivery? :)

It is a neat vehicle, but the darn gas prices make it impossible for me to drive. Its also honestly in need of a replacement carburetor.

The paint is crappy, but I sideswiped a tree when I slipped in some mud, and just pulled the dent right out.

It's even reasonably rust free!

If only I had more time or money!

Paddle On!

LK

Camry is an awsome yak car.
No idea why they stopped that line. They actually had quite a few sales.

The Highlander is a good one too with similar mileage. Tall though. The Camry was low and easy to dismount the boat.

Several Failed Trails
Several people/firms have tried to import the UNIMOG, but I just don’t think the market is there.

And “why” would you want an U nimog?
What are you going to do with it? There are undoubtedly legit reasons, I just can’t think of any, and I like machinery.

too conventional
to pricey to be a hatchback, not big enough to be stationwagon/minivan. Otherwise it’s perfect.

I love my wifes Subaru Forestor!!
This new Toyota looks great but I have my doubts that I would give up our Forestor for it. My wife dearly loves the Forestor and she even lets me drive it sometimes. I will certainly take it for a test drive but I have my doubts it will beat the Forestor.

yeah it will
OFF ROAD…

Forester
In my opinion the Subaru Forester is all you need if you don’t need more space and are not doing real off the road traveling.

I do ten miles a day on gravel in the snow belt. The Forester does great in the ice, snow, mud, dirt, and gravel (I wish the county would put rock on the road more often than once a year). But it is not a real off roading vehicle.

It also has the ground clearance for the Kyle’s landing shuttle on the Buffalo River - just ask Bob, Terry, Mick or Jill :slight_smile:

“Why?” Just Because It Is Cool, Mostly
I will admit I mostly just liked the UNIMOG because it is cool, but there are applications for it.

It makes a great RV for a single guy spending the summer in the Eastern Sierras Nevadas. Lots of free range to camp, if you can get to it.

I have done that befoe, and plan to do it again someday.

3 words

– Last Updated: Jan-10-06 1:12 PM EST –

Steyr Puch Pinzgauer..if I lived on a farm and had money it would be fun to play around with

also, it's pretty cool to see the offset (portal) axles on these..look on ebay for unimog or pinzgauer and you're sure to see some pics under the vehicle.

Unimog & FJ Cruiser
Unimogs ARE still available and sold in the U.S. They typically come cab-on-chassis, and then various service-specific equipment is added. General uses are for utility companies, railroads, etc. I haven’t heard of one converted for personal/RV-type use. I’m not 100% sure, but I believe they are very expensive. ~$90k range I believe…

I think the FJ Cruiser looks cool too. Although I think they are going to be VERY hard to come by for the first year or so. Depending on your location, you’re probably looking at paying full sticker or more…

I’ve seen Unimog RV campers
Big Bend NP, TX–where rich Texans in conspicuously consumptive vehicles go to show them off. The ones I saw were all parked in the RV park at Rio Grande Village, though–never saw one off pavement. And I’ve been there 13 times so far.

Forester

– Last Updated: Jan-11-06 7:53 PM EST –

The only complaint I had with the Forester.... No leg room in the rear seat. An adult can't sit back there comfortably.

The Forester is built on the Imprezza Chassis which IMHO isn't as good as the Legacy chassis (prior to that Boxer engine crap). I thought about a Forester when my Legacy hit 265K and died, but ended up with a Honda CRV. The hit I took was a higher profile vehicle that doesn't handle the wind as well, but I get better fuel economy than the Forester.

The Forester is less evil than a full size SUV, so I'd still put my SUV = Selfish Urban Vanity sticker on its rear window.

LK

Possible reason for mpg difference
One reason why the CRV gets better mileage despite its higher profile is that the Forester is AWD, not the simulated kind that is really front-wheel drive that, when traction is poor, dithers back and forth between front and rear axles but never actually has both engaged at the same time.

There are several vehicles that use this fake AWD system, and I read that the CRV is one of them. I won’t say this is true without having read Honda’s brochures, but if it is, that would help explain the mpg difference.

AWD
I have an '03 Element, 5 speed AWD.

The overall drive ratio is lower on the 5 speed than the automatic.

At 70 mph on the highway, the 5 speed turns 3500 rpm, and the auto 3000 rpm.

The AWD supposedly costs me 2 mpg, putting my average at 22-23 overall.

We got the good out of the AWD Christmas of '05 when we went to Cincinnatti to visit the kids.

Ran through parking lots with at least a foot of snow like it wasn’t there.

Couldn’t really feel the rear wheels kicking in and out, as we never seemed to lose traction.

Another plus is that the Element will tow WAY more than it’s rated 1500 lbs (the 5 speed, anyway). Have a class 2 hitch on it, and USE it!

We used to tow our 12’6" sailboat on the trailer and it seemed like no load at all. Estimate towed weight as loaded around 1900 pounds.

Last year, when evacuating for a hurricane, we pulled out Pace 6X12 enclosed trailer (1100 pounds empty) loaded with my Triumph 900 motorcycle, all of my tools and welding equipment, our big TV, computers, and other houehold goods . We went to Macon, Georgia and back under less than optimal travelling conditions just fine.

Presently, we carry two kayaks on the Yakima dual Hull Raiser setup on top, and tow our Aliner camper behind with no trouble at all.

And for me, the great handling of this medium sized pseudo SUV is the seller.

Bob