Triak is back!

I’ve been drooling over this for years.

Too many things on the “Honey Do” list to even think about getting one.

Andy

http://www.triaksports.com/

Outrigger sufficiency
It doesn’t look to me like those outriggers are long enough/buoyant enough to be totally sufficient for rough stuff. In one of the pictures you can see the lee outrigger is clearly diving.

http://www.triaksports.com/performance/02.html

The conditions aren’t bad in that shot at all, I can’t help but wonder what that would be like in a heavier chop.

Stop me befor I buy again

– Last Updated: Mar-30-05 2:21 PM EST –

Saw the ad in sea kayaker. If I had bought that house on a pond first time around, I would be buying one right now.

and seaward built so you know it will be done to the designer's specifications.

Diving outrigger fix.

Now here is what you do …

Go to Wally World and buy four or so of those pool noodles, but be sure to get the hollow kind. Now cut them down one side, lengthwise through to the hollow center. Open them up and place one on each side of each outrigger. Now take your duct tape and securely tape them onto the outriggers.

Problem solved, now there is more buoyancy AND as a bonus you will not scratch the surface of your outriggers beaching.

Happy Paddl’n with your Training Wheels! ;^)

:^)

Mick

They are very cool looking
Way expensive though.

Thanks Andy

– Last Updated: Mar-30-05 9:10 PM EST –

for nuttn'. Just tonight I pulled out a back issue of Seakayaker magazine to find the ad for the yak that I just couldn't remember the name of. Don't know why, but all day at work I was thinking of this Triak thing (not sure what ya call it? kayak/sailboat/personal fun craft?). Yes, it does seem pricey, but North Sails/Seaward don't come cheap. I am sure the sailing part would put a big 'ol smile on my face, but I really wonder how well it paddles. Anyone got 5 numbers I can use on Saturday nights lotto?

paddling
sort of looks like it would paddle like a pig. why not just get a small catamaran- sail when you want to sail, take our the kayak when you want to paddle?

af

Anyone paddling/sailing the Triak???
A un-biased review of the handling characteristics of this craft would be interesting.

I can’t remember where
I read a review–perhaps Chris Cunningham in Sea Kayaker, but maybe a sailor in one of the sailing magazines I sometimes pick up. Anyway, the reviewer, who was used to sailing larger craft, loved the Triak, calling it a Ferrari, and saying, if I remember right, that it accelerated faster than anything he’d ever sailed.

I’m so glad I’m not a sailor and don’t have to be tempted by this thing (its trident-like name and shape, and flame logos seem appropriate to the level of temptation it’s causing!).

Sanjay

Sea Kayaker did a review
Back in 1997 I think, and as Sanjay said the reviewer loved it.

Andy

Nice boat…

Question about outrigger
A related question. I have seen several kayaks with outriggers on only one side around the Seattle area. Can anyone tell me what those are for? And how do you edge on the outrigger side?

Signed,

Curious in Seattle

CAN YOU PUT RUNNERS ON THAT FOR
Winter sailing…?

Man -that looks loke fun, put whatever happend to your 2-ended oars, there…? Andy, that’s NO way to

PADDLE ON!

-Frank in Miami

outrigger canoes
You must be talking about outrigger canoes, e.g.,

http://users.frii.com/uliasz/wayfarer/paddling_fleet.htm#surfrigger

You cannot paddle one without outrigger …

Hydrofoils
I just had another look at this craft on their site. I have to say it looks like a lot of attention to details was taken into mind with the design of the Triak. It has some unique features that have form, function and a streamlined look. The hydrofoils definitely caught my attention. Hydrofoils on a sailing kayak is a rather radical idea. I imagine the engineering design team had to go through some challenging times to have the hydrofoils work with the design. I noticed high-performance hydrofoils are also offered. This leads me to wonder not only how many iterations of prototype hydrofoils they experimented with, but also if they ever considered or designed and possibly made any prototype hydrofoils for under the main hull. I’m imagining bolt on hydrofoils fore and aft that fold down and lock into place when needed. They could also be permanently attached yet this would probably require only dock side launching. I’m curious if something like this will be seen on a new model or an option in the future.

Also while looking at the Triak site I added up the price of the Triak with all the options with the exception of the paddles. The “grand” total is $8128.57 (not including tax and shipping).

Could this be the Ferrari of kayaks?

Hydrofoils II
I believe I read that the hydrofoils can be raised and lowered from the cockpit.

What really got to me was the method of raising and lowering the mast. A few years ago on their old website, they had an animated sequence of the lowering and raising of the mast. It’s done in seconds. I stared at that animation trying to figure out how the lines and pulleys are were done. Finally came to me and it’s simply done and ingenious.

The Sea Kayaker mag article was a positive review of the Triak. It was on their website a few years ago and now can only be purchased.

For years I been looking to pick up a used Triak. I only found one on the West coast, it was bought before I could do anything. I’m glad they’re in production again. Gives me something to aspire to.

Andy

Yep it ws great when I had a war chest
and when something came up I could just snap it up. That’s why my wife paddles a $900 westside boat.

Mast/sail/hydrofoils
Raising and lowering the mast from the comfort of the cockpit does also look like an engineering challenge. It also looks like rolling up the sail was also taken into consideration as part of placing the mast back on the deck. I’m envisioning in my mind a ratcheted crank somewhere near the cockpit with some serious stress and frame engineering considerations.

I did notice that the Triak does have retractable hydrofoils. Considering beach landings, I see how that would be a requirement. Yet since the hydrofoils are out of site like a rudder, in my case it would eventually be out of mind until I came into shore and heard a snap.

Mast
Is actually suspended from the “A” frame on a swivel joint of some sort. As you let down the mast, the “A” frame falls forward, pulling the mast in the same direction. The mast folds in upon itself and rests on the deck out of the way. To raise the mast, you pull on a line that pulls the “A” frame and the mast up in one motion. The line is then lagged to (can’t think of the name of it)a “squeezing ratchet cam”.

Andy

Mast
The mast support cables are just barely visible in the site photo’s, but I’m envisioning what you are saying.