Trip Report: Klemtu 2 Port Hardy 2023

10 Likes

Another great TR from the King of the Ocean.
Well done.

1 Like

1 Like

Great writing too

2 Likes

Thank you for reading it.

1 Like

Wow - what an amazing trip. Sleeping in your dry suits, bears, 9 weather days, drysuit repairs on the fly. Iā€™ll say it again - wow! Thanks for the trip report.

1 Like

Really enjoyed the read! Quite an Adventure!!

1 Like

That was a lot of fun to read, thank you! I was impressed that you both had replacement dry suite gaskets in your kit! I had not thought of doing thatā€¦

1 Like

Thank you for taking the time to read it and the positive feedback.

Iā€™ve carried replacement gaskets on these trips for years but never needed to use them. Daveā€™s repair kit was pretty incredible. Small but well thought out. That Carthartt tape, in particular, was a great addition. Compared to my duct tape it was much better suited for paddling repairs.

Do you have a gear and equipment list posted anywhere?

Uniquely humorous writing style.

1 Like

I think it is much more common to have spare gaskets when the water is always cold and immersion protection is always needed. I have gasket material and Aqua seal in my repair kit to do an emergency repair of a tear, but that wonā€™t be adequate for a trip like they did. There are lots of different types of duct tape. Some of it is pretty cheap stuff.

1 Like

Loved ā€˜some ā€œanti-Leave-No-Trace / Look-at-Meā€ nimrod left his/her/their failed Bear Grylls merit badge projectā€™. Bet he had to take off his shirt and climb something and eat something totally disgusting for no reason too.

Seriously, you guys rock. Canā€™t imagine fitting 24 days worth of food in a kayak either.

2 Likes

Iā€™ve never created a list because everybody else already has. A couple of friends with serious credentials have lists on their websites, books and blogs. Louisianan Denis Dwyer has written a few books on his Inside Passage adventures and he has some very in-depth articles on gear choices. Likewise, Susan Conrad, provides a ton of information on gear at her various web addresses. Her equipment list is here:

If you havenā€™t met them they are both very approachable and there to help.

1 Like

Yeah. At some point Mr. Nimrod is going to read my comments or hear about them from Mr. Grylls and strike back. I should have taken it apart and scattered it as that has been one of my favorite campsites that appears to be taken over by groups. The BC coastal kayaking community isnā€™t that big. Iā€™ll pay for it. Likewise for my efforts at Scuzzy Camp but that one will take a serious effort by someone like BC Marine Trails to really remove all of the garbage.

I did read her book but I think I gave it away.

Iā€™m looking for used one on Amazon.

Thanks for the link!

And now the rest of the Indian Cove story

2 Likes

OK, I about inhaled a tortillia chip. Thanks for the story.

Nothing like experience and a pretty darn good skill set.

1 Like

Iā€™m glad I had swaÄŗlowed my biscuit before I read it.

1 Like

An update on the cost incurred by Mr. Failed Bear Gryllsā€™ projectā€¦It was always obvious that this campsite was on a large midden and a place that was special to the Kitasoo Xaiā€™xais. They generously allowed paddlerā€™s usage which was important because it was such a strategic location and just knock-out-dead beautiful.

Boaters lacking LNT ethics had started to leave too many traces and the selfish crappy shelter was the last straw. The First Nations closed the site and it is no longer open for camping.

I hate when that kind of thing happens. Living as a nomad Iā€™ve seen loads of places get closed off to ā€œparking-upā€ for the same kind of reasons. I suspect most of the people doing this, at least in my situation, end up going home and just leave the consequences of ā€œone less place to parkā€ for us nomads to deal w/.