Tunes on my Yak

Anyone got a great idea for rigging an Ipod and some speakers to the yak? I was going to put the ipod in my hatch and mount some speakers to the hatch.

Looking for ideas.

i have the ipod classic and
i have the h2o case and waterproof earbuds…works awesome.can still hear the birds and everything going on around me. fits right in my pfd pocket like it was made for it! this way you aren’t disrupting the peace either. keeps everyone happy and keeps the pod safe.

sounds annoying
to everyone around you. Why violate others peace and quiet while you paddle with speakers?

If you need the music go with waterproof case and earbuds for your ipod.

Suz

Look Out
Here come the music police! Go for it, put in your speakers and play your music to your little heart desires. Some people tend to like the sounds of nature and others tend to lean towards a little music. I definitely like hearing music when I’m on the water just so as it’s not obnoxious (this is where the old gray area comes into play)

My favorite thing to do is float down Ozark stream and listen to a little Cardinal baseball on the dial!

oh come on
yeah obviously I’m not talking about blaring music and interrupting nature. I float with a few boats and we like a little music amongst us. We are all very aware of our surroundings.

I don’t think my little speakers will create an issue amongst the jet skis and power boats.

Here’s an idea

– Last Updated: Apr-07-10 3:45 PM EST –

http://www.gadgetsarecool.com/2009/03/waterproof-ipod-speakers.html or
http://www.atlanticego.com/

The kayak is the speaker.
You could also mount the voice coil directly the the deck of your kayak, turning the deck into the diaphram. Then your boat will become the speaker. You’ll have to learn how to do this though, but it’s really easy to learn how to do it.

better tie that puppy down
at that price.

Look up Cambridge Sound…you can get waterproof speakers from them (made for boats, decks, etc). You can put a satellite speaker on each side of the cockpit, a center channel speaker right on the front, and the sub woofer, amp, and receiver down by the foot pegs. That’s what I did. Now I can crank my StaticX and Disturbed music libraries when I’m out paddling. Mine rocks so loud it causes the water around me to wave outward…it’s awesome! I like going early in the morning and cranking it up right out in front of houses on shore until people yell at me…or clear off their decks and run inside LOL. Crank it up dude!

A little cheaper idea
I got this at Target a little over a year ago and it works great. It looks the same as glennr’s link just a lot cheaper.http://www.amazon.com/Waterproof-Sound-Case-Speakers-Clear/dp/B000LO5ZGY

I use it with a Sony Walkman MP3 but it fits just fine

Paddling to music…
Just plop that yak right down on the floor in front of your big speakers and blast your brains out… You won’t be missing anything, TROLL

When you’ve done that
Practise a few rolls !!

That would be kitchen floor …
Closer to the fridge / beer.

Suz is right, keep it to yourself
There is no good reason to put speakers in a kayak and headphones or earbuds are easier to use anyway. Other paddlers don’t need your “noise pollution” interrupting their enjoyment of the outdoors, however pleasant and unobtrusive YOU may find it.

that is a cool idea
Mounting speakers would be a cool idea, post pics when you do it. I like music sometimes on the river, there is just something about rolling down the river and listening to merle haggerd that makes me happy. When I camp on the river I always listen to music. If you pass someone just turn it down or off, and be polite like 99.98% of paddlers are. I have had more problems with farmers, and people parting it up on the bank than fellow paddlers. Just have fun is what it’s all about.

i PADDLE AND CAMP LAKE PATAGONIA
which is only a few miles from the Mexioan border and so is very popular.

although I do not mind quiet music, so long as the people respect sleep-time… and my desire to read a book.

…being so close to the border, we get a LOT of Mexicans and Mexican-Americans down there.

And far too many of them have the culture that says “Play the Boon-Box at full volumne as an invitiation to party!”

then they leave the site with their box at full vol.

Now the Rangers are afraid to tell them to BE QUIET for fear of a complaint to their bos. And when you get three or four of these, each on a differnt Mexican station, all fighting for volumn,

ANY mention of music on the water grates.

Try this @ 125 dB
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4xwXOj55nIY&feature=related

May a jet ski use you for chicken practice if you succeed :slight_smile:

f the music police
my radio cant be heard more than 20 feet from my boat. ive never seen any of these holier-than-thou music police on any paddle ive been on. Funny how they negative posters in these type of threads would cry foul if someone crapped a negative attitude on a gear thread they start.

to the original poster-

http://www.atlanticego.com/ i have the sound case from ego and it is an AWESOME unit. I wasted at least the cost of it on purchasing various “waterproof” ipod speakers that would blow out or just werent water proof. The case is just like a pelican style drybox, and the whole thing floats. It is very durable, and ive put mine through all kinds of abuse.

the sound quality is very good out of such a small simple setup. Turned up its enough for several boats floating down the river (this is why i bought it and it does an awesome job)at a lower level its perfect for one person and i find it much better than headphones. I can hear everything going on and still be rocking out to whatever. The sound quality is so good I find myself using it around the house, while doing yard work, at the pool, etc. It is definitely worth the money. I wish i had done it right the first time with this gear purchase instead of wasting money on inferior crap.

I KNOW YOU!!!
YOURE THE GUY I SEE, AND HEAR, FOUR OR FIVE TIMES A WEEK----RIGHT NEXT TO ME AT A STOP LIGHT–WITH MY WINDOWS ROLLED UP AND YOUR WINDOWS ROLLED UP, AND YOUR BASS IS VIBRATING MY STEERING WHEEL AND THE TREBLE IS BLOCKING OUT ALL SOUND—PLEASE DO ME A FAVOR—SEND ME AN E-MAIL BEFORE YOU GO PADDLING SO I CAN BE SURE TO GO TO A DIFFERENT PLACE–NO OFFENSE BUT I REALLY DON’T WANT TO LISTEN TO YOUR MUSIC–AND JUST A HINT—MOST OTHER PEOPLE DON’T EITHER

wow
I doubt that person could even hear your music from atop his high holier than though horse