Tunes on my Yak

movie clip / radio battle
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7luA0uqVJ84

Why do you really need speakers??
Really. You want to hear music while you paddle? Fine. Use earphones. Why do people feel the need to inflict their music on others when they don’t have to? This is not the music police. This is common courtesy.

Inflicting On Others?
Where are people getting the idea that OP is going to be playing music so loud as to disturb others? It’s as if the mindset of some is music and the water automatically equates to 135db of head-banging horror.

I’m sure it does happen, but to assume that everyone is going to play music at full volume is pretty narrow minded, IMHO.

I have a radio with me often when on the water and I never play it above the sound level of a normal conversation. Give the person the benefit of doubt and stop chastising him/her for even thinking of some music.

You and I have had our differences
but, I couldn’t agree more with your post.

Score one for you, and thanks for echoing my thoughts exactly.

Cheers,

JackL

you
and I must know the same guy—there seems to be one at every stop light in Manassas/DC

playing music so loud …
Read his second post. He wants to play it loud enough so his buddies can hear it. That means others will have to hear it as well.

Imagine…

– Last Updated: Apr-10-10 11:48 AM EST –

Imagine a busy river.

Everyone has speakers mounted on their canoe or kayak, and everyone on the river has music playing.

They're all playing drum & bugle corps music; because that's what "they" like to hear.

Use earphones.

At home; crank it up. I do.

BOB

loud music
I truly doubt that the people blaring rap music at stoplights paddle anything at all. I am sure that if the poster or any of us who listen to music on the water would not blare their music or not turn it down while passing someone. The only people who would be obnoxious enough to disturb the peace are the same drunken buffoons that scream and yell all the way down the river disturbing everyone. So you guys need to just calm down, anyone who cares enough about our beloved pastime to be posting on this websight, cares enough to be civilized and polite. He posted his question to receive good advice not to be blasted by nay-sayers. So by being such harsh critics about what someone does with his friends that they enjoy in a reasonable manner you are being just as obnoxious as the people blaring there music forcing it upon your delicate ears and sensibilities.

His second post
He also said they are well aware of their surroundings.

I can never understand why some folk
need to be constantly entertained. Do they never just sit and enjoy peace and quiet?

Besides everyones taste may not be the same as yours. Many of the people I paddle with enjoy country and I enjoy classical but would not push it on others. Plus we enjoy each others company. We talk a bit as we paddle and sometimes just paddle quietly without talking. And this is a large group of ladies. Pretty good. Hey?

As I used to tell my one son when he was around 6 years old and loved to talk (A LOT!), “It’s okay to be quiet!”

Enjoy your music but understand, others may not and you may get less paddling invites.

As one post noted, it’s not about being “music police, it’s about common courtesy.”

Paddle on and enjoy the outdoors.

You mean others have “common…
courtesy” today ???

cheers,

JackL

I can never understand why some folk
feel the need to tell you how you should enjoy your pastime. " your doing that wrong"

enjoying your pastime
should stop when you keep me from enjoying mine

Ran in to that yesterday
I was parked facing the ocean where a lot of people do that -sit enjoy the view, have lunch etc. Then this AH arrives and pulls in with the radio going. Opens his windows and has his lunch totally oblivious that anyone else exists and now has to listen to his music. It wasn’t that loud but never-the-less everyone now has to listen to it or move. Some people are just AHs and that will never change.

I like Wagner Operas and Yoko Onno

– Last Updated: Apr-11-10 10:14 AM EST –

Played with umph. Want to paddle together?

If my pastime is to highlight things with a laser beamed flashlight and I choose to point it at paddlers' eyes rather then ears, is that acceptable?

People in this country are lost with "personal rights.' When did they change the Constitution from "We the People" to "I the Person"?

apologize
I would like to apologize to the original poster for the behavior of the people on this thread. You came to us for help and advice and instead you got attacked for just asking a question. Please do not let anyones negativity here distract you from doing what makes you happy. For everyone else I am sorry that I was part of this ridiculous battle of words, I hope that you never hear music on the river ever, and if we ever run into each other on the river I will act as somber as I am able. Also, out of respect for your personal tastes I have removed the radio from my truck. I hope that we can all get along now, and keep this ridiculousness for bicker and banter. Thank you.

I don’t need or want any one
apologizing for my views on speakers mounted on a kayak or canoe.

Let the OP use some head phones.

You’ll find that the ones that have spoken out are sensible, knowlegeable paddlers, just telling it like it is.

Cheers,

JackL

No thanks, redrocket

– Last Updated: Apr-11-10 11:52 AM EST –

I'm with JackL on this one. I meant everything I said and I don't need you apologizing for me.

Unfortunately, not nearly enough people are taught by their parents to be considerate of others when they're out in public and it seems to me that the OP is in need of exactly this type of education.

I listen to such weird music
that I woudl probably feel a little self conscious if others were listening to it. I have lots of strange stuff that motivates me to paddle faster and longer.

If I am with others I see no need for headphones or music unless someone pulls out a martin backpacker or somesuch.

Paul

Thanks Redrocket

– Last Updated: Apr-11-10 4:13 PM EST –

Not all of us are hyper sensitive and automatically assume the worst.

As a sensible, knowlegeable paddler who uses a radio AND has common courtesy, I'm was just telling it like it is.