Tunes on my Yak

wow

– Last Updated: Apr-12-10 1:13 PM EST –

I take my yak out nearly every weekend the weather and nearby rivers permit, and sometimes I go with friends, sometimes alone. When I am alone, I use earphones, However I as well would be interested to see the speaker setup some of you guys have on your boats, and appreciate those who have already posted suggestions.

As for a lot of the people posting in this thread about the evils of music on the river, I think its pretty funny. Most of the rivers I run are private property on both banks, and once warm weather sets in you can't go a mile without seeing some good ol boys on the shore blasting the Skynyrd out of their trucks while they fish, camp or relax. Likewise large groups of paddlers can often be heard long before they actually come into my view.

Do I enjoy this? Not really, does it bother me or will I tell them to turn it down? Not a chance.

There is always something annoying out there and you either have to find ways around it or deal with it. Want more solitude? Put in on a more isolated stretch of river or put in at 6am. Encounter a loud group on the water? Slow down and let them fade off or speed up and pass them, eventually you'll get past it.

You can argue about where someones rights end and anothers begin all day and it wont change the fact that there will always be people doing stuff you don't agree with. The simple fact is it requires effort of BOTH parties to create harmony. If someone is playing music over speakers at a reasonable volume for their group of 3-4 boats to hear then they are doing their part, if thats too much for you then you can do your part by either passing them up, letting them move further downriver, or putting in at different hours.

I find it just as amazing that people can expect to do nothing and have their desires met (be they river solitude or anything) as I do that some people seem to have no concept of courtesy when determining the volume of their music (or their motorcycle's exhaust, but that's a different rant)

Of course, everyone's definition of what suitable volume level is differs or what common courtesy is, but I can promise you the further to one extreme or another your thoughts are, the more time you going to spend angry at stuff.

For a group of people who spend a lot of time on the water, it seems the saying "go with the flow" seems lost on a great deal of you.

Best Post Yet!

– Last Updated: Apr-12-10 1:36 PM EST –

Sensitivity towards others

– Last Updated: Apr-12-10 5:04 PM EST –

I don't think any of this is about speakers, or music but the ability to force others to listen to it. I think some of the aspects of paddling that most paddlers enjoy is the quiet, and sounds of nature, wildlife and escape from the normal urban noises and sights. There's no paddlers who don't enjoy music or have radios in their cars. The red flag goes up when someone wants to expose others to what they want to listen to or just doesn't care because "its their right". If somoeone wants to paddle off by themselves and listen to music, I don't care. If they want to force me to listen to it or drive away the wildlife, well.. then I have rights too.

Well said, Jay

– Last Updated: Apr-13-10 10:08 AM EST –

Sadly, I think we were the last generation raised with that ethic.

Big speakers and
a dozen cup holders, you’d be all set.

stupid

“It’s a basic law of nature that the stupid will kill themselves off before they are old enough to breed. Society has been working for thousands of years to overcome this.”

It may be generational
I know the students I deal with commonly have several things going on at once – listening to music, watching TV, “reading” an assignment, using their cellphone. It drives me nuts. When I jogged regularly I never even considered listening to music while I was doing it. Multitasking seems to have become a norm now and just as I find it hard to understand why someone can’t just paddle in silence I am sure that people used to doing multiple sensory things at once don’t understand what the problem is.

I wish.
I wish that my life was so easy that other people’s music was the thing that spun me into a tizzy.

Seriously. There are bigger worries - focus on what matters.

OP responds
As the OP, I have to say that I’m glad I was able to produce so many responses. While only a few were productive, I enjoyed them all.

I do want to put an end to it all so real questions from other paddlers can be addressed instead of my stupid music post.

I will be buying one of the waterproof IPOD speaker units. I WILL NOT be blaring my music and WILL be respectful because that is the kind of person I am. I thank you all for your judgement and brush stroke application of bad on all of us.

On the other hand, I certainly hope I never paddle with some of you uptight a-holes that automatically think everyone is a tool.

Thank you for your time on this matter and I certainly hope no one makes any noise around you. I’ll be donating a dollar to “Paddlers Against Rap Music and Big Trucks.”

I doubt that those who objected
Would want to paddle with someone who insists on “his right” to play his music in a public area.

There is a place for music in a public area & a river or lake isn’t it !!

What’s more you have got me to agree with bnystrom which I find extremely irritating (but not as irritating a your music idea)

tunes in a yak
Honestly paddling down the river with really soft music is one of the greatest experiences in the world. I keep it so soft that I can hear every bit of nature, but the soft background music enhances the whole thing. I have a water bottle ipod speaker that is designed to fit in a bike cupholder, it works perfectly and it cost under 20 bucks so I am not going to panic if its destroyed. The benefit is it keeps the ipod dry as well.

I honestly keep it so quiet I doubt a kayak paddling right next to me could even hear it. There tends to be a ton of boat traffic where I paddle blaring stereos so I am sure I could keep it higher if I chose to, but I don’t.

I think people need to keep some context in mind when making global statements that it is good or evil to have music. There are quiet areas isolated areas, there are bustling noisy areas…like everything else it boils down to common sense and if you are not impacting any other person’s experience I struggle to see why anyone would be so opposed.

There’s nothing respectful
about your reply. Calling those that have disagreed with you names only proves their point. You lose this round.

yep you are right,
I lose…but the real lose is the fact that so many people think their “rights” can override others. I am respectful on the water and in everyday life. I don’t play my music loud on the water and I expect others not to as well. But…this thread shows that some don’t think anyone should be able to play music on the water at any volume, because it is disrespectful to them and their “right.” That I disagree with.

I’ll be respectful to my fellow paddlers just as I always have, and I hope you all do the same.

You started your "OP responds"
right on the money, but then you had to go and ruin it by showing your true colors!

Cheers,

JackL

Playing music IS disrespectful

– Last Updated: Apr-16-10 9:27 AM EST –

You're altering the environment for other people, which is disrespectful and selfish, especially considering that you have the option to listen to music with headphones/ear buds (which you already own) and not bother anyone. In fact, you'll get better sound that way. If you use your head instead of being belligerent, you can save the money you'd spend on speakers and avoid annoying other paddlers. That sounds like a win-win situation to me.

Simply saying that you'll be respectful is not the same as doing it. Your (intended) actions say otherwise.

Moreover, an important aspect of knowing one's "rights" is understanding when to exercise them and when it's not appropriate. The fact that you have the "right" to do something doesn't mean that you should. Courtesy, respect and consideration for others are typically much better guidelines than "rights" are.

cant someone get advice anymore???
the OP came here looking for suggestions on gear. He didnt ask whether or not anyone likes to listen to music.

If there were a thread on any other gear related question and there were so many negative people talking trash instead of offering constructive advice you people would be crying foul big time.

Grow up pnet.

To the op, good choice on the purchase you wont regret it. It runs on 4 aa batteries and I bet ive charged my ipod a dozen times before I have to switch batteries. Cant say enough good things about that Ego soundcase.

Well said old chap.
For once we agree.

me too
I just bought one myself, the nay sayers inspired me. I also bought a bubble to live in so I will never get the chance to be offended. I prefer a depravation chamber, but they are to expensive. Thank god the rivers I paddle on I very very rarely meet other people, for I’m sure they would offend me somehow.

music while paddling
Wow I bought my kayak to have fun but after reading this thread and how people get bent out of shape about some music being played makes me wonder if I should of wasted my money for this hobby. If its no music it will be something else.

Worry about stuff that matters like life and death, your family, your job but to whine about playing or having to listen to someones music is crazy. Some have way too much time on your hands.

Sort of like …
Whining about other people whining? Too much time on your hands?